Whining From Whedon

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
bull705
Redshirt

Whining From Whedon

Post by bull705 »

So Joss Whedon finally decided to answer the accusations levelled against him. Frankly he should have kept his mouth shut because now he looks like the biggest crybaby in Hollywood.

As someone who believes both JL cuts are garbage I'm not taking sides in this debate. However the stances he takes are appalling.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Whining From Whedon

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

He's somebody who was once regarded as progressive and clever, but didn't bother to learn or improve anything since the 90s, angry and confused because he's not the golden boy anymore.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

It seems more like a general interview of him and he kind of answered the controversial takes in passing fashion. Antiquated outlook and interpretation of matters (perhaps culpable lol), I wouldn't be surprised, but this is kinda smoldery and clickbaitish. Also though I think Gadot rebuked what he said in the interview rather immediately.
Power laces... alright.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:20 am He's somebody who was once regarded as progressive and clever, but didn't bother to learn or improve anything since the 90s, angry and confused because he's not the golden boy anymore.
Funny really. Looking back there wasn't much that was actually progressive about Buffy. I'm not sure you would get a heroine so desperately dependent on a man's love anymore.
And the fact that her boyfriend is actually a hundred years old and was creeping on a high schooler.
And the refusal to call Willow bi despite that is exactly what she is smacks of burying bisexuals.

He's a great ideas man is Joss. That is why he often gets hired as a writer. But when it comes to his personal shows they don't tend to end very well. Buffy got seven seasons - three of which were actually any good. Firefly lasted only one before being cancelled.
He needs someone alongside him to reign in his bullshit.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

He's definitely more of a Marvel oriented character director when you consider the monster story faire. Agents of Shield feels more like The Office in its pacing and well could have easily felt a lot more like House of Cards.
Power laces... alright.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

To be fair, I don't think he had much involvement in AGENTS OF SHIELD beyond the pilot. That show was mostly run by his brother and sister-in-law.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I didn't even know that, I just figure the movies and shows were totally different. You learn something new everydayl.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:28 pm I didn't even know that, I just figure the movies and shows were totally different. You learn something new everydayl.
They were, as far as fans of Marvel Television shows felt. Agents of Shield and Agent Carter are the only things that actually connect to the movies through characters until No Way Home. AoS connects very integratively with the movies, but I didn't see the first two CA movies when they came out and mostly started on s3 of AoS. It's like my Reservoir Dogs / Rashomon take on the whole operation.
Makeshift Python wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:27 pm To be fair, I don't think he had much involvement in AGENTS OF SHIELD beyond the pilot. That show was mostly run by his brother and sister-in-law.
He had a pretty active role as EP, but he could have been tipping the needle in either direction really.
Power laces... alright.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Apparently the guy has been an asshole in his early days with Buffy and Angel. Probably if it wasn't for his initial success with Buffy and Angel, he probably would be doing other stuff. Or at least learn to work with people.

Just say too many people coming forward about him.
I got nothing to say here.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

How the mighty have fallen.

(assuming he was mighty in the first place)