Star Trek: Strange new worlds

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Star Trek: Strange new worlds

Post by Thebestoftherest »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL4iCAB6MFo[/youtube]
STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS is based on the years Captain Christopher Pike manned the helm of the U.S.S. Enterprise. The series will feature fan favorites from season two of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY: Anson Mount as Captain Christopher Pike, Rebecca Romijn as Number One and Ethan Peck as Science Officer Spock. The series will follow Captain Pike, Science Officer Spock and Number One in the years before Captain Kirk boarded the U.S.S. Enterprise, as they explore new worlds around the galaxy.

What are all your guys thoughts.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Star Trek: Strange new worlds

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I would like it if they would go forward in the timeline instead of cranking out more and more prequel series.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Well there’s Picard I suppose. Mixed results at best there. And Disco eventually *became* about a future federation, so that’s something.

I think for me it’s less about prequel or sequel or the like and more that they keep filling in well-explored parts of the timeline because they just aren’t confident their work will stand on its own without an anchor in something familiar. Personally I’d be down for an early 24th century show, seeing the post-Khitomer Accords federation try to adjust to NOT being in a state of Cold War.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Cautiously optimistic. I want to believe that Trek will be back to the episodic format, but given that the same Picard&Discovery producers are in charge of SNW, I worry that the show might fall into the same trap as the two previous series.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

They will undoubtedly keep doing what they're doing because Star Trek on the ap is popular with everyone but the loud fanboys.

Why they keep making sequels.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I have heard it will be episodic. I am just hoping it won't be some 'gotta stop big baddie' each season and only episodic as a B plot.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

It's a TOS throwback just as the third show from the 90's was a TOS throwback

B)
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:24 am It's a TOS throwback just as the third show from the 90's was a TOS throwback

B)
Voyager? There were only two shows from the 90's. DS9 and Voyager. TNG half it's run was 80's. And Enterprise was strictly 2000's.
I got nothing to say here.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

First episode is out.
OK, so it's not bad, certainly not offensive in any way and it does feel more like Star Trek than both the previous abominations known and Discovery and Picard. But given the experience with S2 of Picard, I'm still cautiously optimistic, as that too started alright at first, but then nosedived into crap. Hopefully this won't suffer the same fate and might actually be enjoyable till the end.

With that being said, it still suffers from the typical Kurtzman/Goldsman clichés, the intro is literally just a collection of trailer tropes, but thankfully they're fewer later on.
The conflict on the planet was solved a bit too quickly IMO, they could have either made the episode longer or made it into a two-parter, since based on what they have there was enough material for two episodes.
Also, no, sorry Spock, you cannot make a nuclear bomb before you develop particle physics, at best you can made a dirty bomb, but no way you can make a functional nuke without understanding nuclear physics. And since they don't even bother to explain what a "warp bomb" is, given how warp drive technology is compared to nuclear fission in this case, the comparison just falls flat, especially since there's no mention of a "warp bomb" in all the previous series, even as an outdated weapon.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Do they perhaps mean a bomb that produces subspace radiation? I suspect the writers don't know enough about Trek hyperscience to know about established terms.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984