Star Trek: Prodigy

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
m4a2000
Officer

Star Trek: Prodigy

Post by m4a2000 »

I am shocked this wasn't a topic yet. This show is great and also a good gateway to get younger viewers into the series. Now that season 1B (man is that odd to type) has started, it will be nice to see what happens when the crew finally meets real Janeway.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Star Trek: Prodigy

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I watched it and enjoyed it pretty well, although it bugged me that on the illusions planet, the space-suit didn't protect against the spores.

Also really cool to see a Medusan.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:09 pm I watched it and enjoyed it pretty well, although it bugged me that on the illusions planet, the space-suit didn't protect against the spores.

Also really cool to see a Medusan.
So you're insane now?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I walked right into that one.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Okay, it's weird that it was on this particular series, but I think that was the most "Borg" depiction of the Borg that we've had since TNG was on the air.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:40 pm Okay, it's weird that it was on this particular series, but I think that was the most "Borg" depiction of the Borg that we've had since TNG was on the air.
Yes, the Borg had actual menace.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I think there's a lot of course correction for Kathryn Janeway in this episode and I wonder if it's Mulgrew's influence as I have a much more consistent grasp of her character than I do from Voyager (and I just rewatched the series). To be blunt, Hologram Janeway is SCARED of the Borg and pretty much tells the crew to run away from them. It's a vulnerability that adds to the character and fits much-better with what we know of the Borg while regular Janeway never did run from the Borg but more or less ran at them.

Part of what I like about this episode is the Borg are also treated as far less personal in their evil and no less malevolent for it. The Borg aren't doing this because they get pleasure from evil like the Borg Queen or sadistically tormenting Seven or Doctor Jurati. No, they're an assembly line and the rest of the galaxy is parts. It's like my best friend, Michael, has the same opinion on Davros for the Daleks.

The Daleks are infinitely better and more terrifying without Davros because the Daleks are terrifying due to their lack of individuality and indifference. This episode nicely conveyed the Borg are dangerous because we're ants to them.

Oh and a reminder that our heroes straight up killed two Borg in this episode.

Also, apparently are indirectly responsible for the Junior Lieutenant's death.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:10 am Also, apparently are indirectly responsible for the Junior Lieutenant's death.
Which sucks because these kids are trying to do/be good so they can join Starfleet.

Also, we have another 'bad AI' for the technovirus. Anyone else getting tired of this between all the other shows? I just want a friendly AI buddy!
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

m4a2000 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:22 am
Which sucks because these kids are trying to do/be good so they can join Starfleet.

Also, we have another 'bad AI' for the technovirus. Anyone else getting tired of this between all the other shows? I just want a friendly AI buddy!
*cough* Holo Janeway *cough*
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:10 am I think there's a lot of course correction for Kathryn Janeway in this episode and I wonder if it's Mulgrew's influence as I have a much more consistent grasp of her character than I do from Voyager (and I just rewatched the series). To be blunt, Hologram Janeway is SCARED of the Borg and pretty much tells the crew to run away from them. It's a vulnerability that adds to the character and fits much-better with what we know of the Borg while regular Janeway never did run from the Borg but more or less ran at them.

Part of what I like about this episode is the Borg are also treated as far less personal in their evil and no less malevolent for it. The Borg aren't doing this because they get pleasure from evil like the Borg Queen or sadistically tormenting Seven or Doctor Jurati. No, they're an assembly line and the rest of the galaxy is parts. It's like my best friend, Michael, has the same opinion on Davros for the Daleks.

The Daleks are infinitely better and more terrifying without Davros because the Daleks are terrifying due to their lack of individuality and indifference. This episode nicely conveyed the Borg are dangerous because we're ants to them.

Oh and a reminder that our heroes straight up killed two Borg in this episode.

Also, apparently are indirectly responsible for the Junior Lieutenant's death.
So... this is the first time the Borg have actually been the Borg since BOBW?
Huh. There is hope for this series.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.