For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I really didn't care for the first one but this looks pretty cool.

youtu.be/_ciBXV3MGGc

Probably worth an IMAX ticket just for the awesome fantasy sea creatures.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Avatar 2

Post by clearspira »

Avatar has had an amazingly small amount of cultural impact when you think about it. It made a lot of money, it looked nice, but you never hear anyone talk about it. And I think that's because when it comes down to it, it was an average film that had nothing going for it but looks.

There have also been some pretty nasty deconstructions of it's story over the years as it arguably plays ''Mighty Whitey'' completely straight, with all the Na'vi's problems being solved by the human. The whole ''look at how well we get along with nature compared to humans'' message also doesn't work because humans do not have the ability to biologically join with nature in the same way that they can, and those Na'vi that fail to learn the tricks quickly enough are routinely killed off as children. Humans end up not looking all that bad in comparison.

Avatar 2 could be good, but i'm also quite meh about it.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

clearspira wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:06 am Avatar has had an amazingly small amount of cultural impact when you think about it. It made a lot of money, it looked nice, but you never hear anyone talk about it. And I think that's because when it comes down to it, it was an average film that had nothing going for it but looks.

There have also been some pretty nasty deconstructions of it's story over the years as it arguably plays ''Mighty Whitey'' completely straight, with all the Na'vi's problems being solved by the human. The whole ''look at how well we get along with nature compared to humans'' message also doesn't work because humans do not have the ability to biologically join with nature in the same way that they can, and those Na'vi that fail to learn the tricks quickly enough are routinely killed off as children. Humans end up not looking all that bad in comparison.

Avatar 2 could be good, but i'm also quite meh about it.
I think another reason for the lack of impact is that the characters are unaltered stock archetypes. Nothing for fans to get attached to, no depth beyond what's obvious from their first line.
Kinky Vorlon
Officer

Post by Kinky Vorlon »

Another flaw that's been present in many relatively recent Cameron movies is the lack of emotional connection. Aliens, the terminator movies, even the Abyss, have characters that you connect with emotionally. They're not Hamlet-levels of complexity, but there's enough warmth in the performances and writing that you connect with some of the characters on an emotional level. You like Hicks, Vasquez, Sarah Connor, etc.

But who is there to connect with in Avatar? No one.
The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away moment by moment lost in that vast, terrible in-between.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Is it too bold of me to say the transformers films are more relevant than avatar (Cameron). I mean people know the main character name but I don't think I could tell you what his name was called if you held a gun to my head.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Kinky Vorlon wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:52 pm Another flaw that's been present in many relatively recent Cameron movies is the lack of emotional connection. Aliens, the terminator movies, even the Abyss, have characters that you connect with emotionally. They're not Hamlet-levels of complexity, but there's enough warmth in the performances and writing that you connect with some of the characters on an emotional level. You like Hicks, Vasquez, Sarah Connor, etc.

But who is there to connect with in Avatar? No one.
Modern Cameron is far from his prime imo. You missed out what is arguably his most famous film: Titanic. And it claimed that title in part due to the audience connection with Jack and Rose.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

I've never quite put my finger on why, but I've never seen Avatar because for whatever reason it just doesn't hold any appeal whatsoever. There's something about the whole premise that I find rather offputting (despite on the surface it should be one I'm quite happy to go along with). Maybe I'm misjudging it due to not having seen it but I get the impression of cartoon villains badly enough done to come across as strawmen.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Avatar 2 needs two billion to break even according to Cameron - in other words, it needs to be the fourth or fifth highest grossing film in history.
Extraordinary when you think about it - if this film becomes the sixth highest grossing film in history then it would technically be a box office bomb. Madness.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/avat ... 235438907/
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I guess already holding the first and third spots means corporations let you make that kind of bet.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:14 am Avatar 2 needs two billion to break even according to Cameron - in other words, it needs to be the fourth or fifth highest grossing film in history.
Extraordinary when you think about it - if this film becomes the sixth highest grossing film in history then it would technically be a box office bomb. Madness.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/avat ... 235438907/
Isn't there Avatar 3 and 4? I am assuming that 2 billion may have been spent overall or projected to be that over the course of all of the movies.

Just no way in hell one movie cost 2 billion. I can believe 300-400 million without the promotion part.
I got nothing to say here.