Star Trek: The Search for Vulcan

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Dînadan
Officer

Star Trek: The Search for Vulcan

Post by Dînadan »

Random idea that just came to me as I was watching the HiSHE Star Trek (2009) episode as part of an archive binge:

In the film, the 'black hole' created by the Red Matter cause the Nerada and Jellyfish to time travel, so what if the same thing happened to Vulcan? Could Vulcan be out there somewhere, displaced in space and time rather than being destroyed? Although I suppose considering how it collapsed into the 'black hole', even if that did happen it probably wouldn't have come out the other end intact (and even if it was intact it'd have been wreaked by all the seismic activity plus it'd likely have been deposited in the vast void of space, not in orbit of a star let alone in the golilocks zone or a stable orbit, so by the time it was found any survivors would have long frozen to death).
FaxModem1
Captain

Re: Star Trek: The Search for Vulcan

Post by FaxModem1 »

If you wanted to make a story about them salvaging katra arks and other Vulcan artifacts, that could be possible. Survivors and/or the planet itself? Not possible unless you wanted it to be about them salvaging bodies for burial and katra retrieval.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

Sounds a bit like the idea of saving Gallifrey from the Time War.

I suppose it is possible to do, but you'd need to have some sort of logical reason for the planet getting visibly torn apart into a vortex of spinning rock before being crushed into a singularity.

Aliens with hyper-advanced holographic projectors and teleporters did it!

Of course, Q exists in the Trek universe, so he could literally snap his fingers and have Vulcan re-appear somewhere in this universe or any other.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Considering it's blatantly not a black hole as actual (current) science understands that term and this is Trek we're talking about you could probably just say it gave off bullshit bullshit particles which did horseshit horseshit to reassemble it on the other end. Whether the people would survive being reassembled is another matter (although again it's Trek so throw in 'transporter like effect' into the technobabble and it'd handwave itself away, and again, unless you contrive a coincidence it's still coming out the other side as a rogue planet and will be an ice cube by the time they find it).

At least with Gallifrey it was dumped into a pocket dimension rather than randomly into another part of the universe (and iirc there was some mention of it being stuck in a Groundhog Day loop which would justify it staying intact. Plus the Time Lords are casually able to wedgie the laws of physics into submission so even if it got deposited as a rogue planet they have moved it into orbit around the nearest star before the tea even started to go cold.

So yeah, I agree best case scenario, it's an Alderaan style rubble field, but I do think given what we see on screen it's plausible that it could have been displaced rather than just destroyed.

Side note, if so it probably means that supernova didn't just get sucked up into nothing; SpockPrime just made it someone else's problem (although I guess considering how big space is most likely it'd also come out in the middle of nowhere and it'd have dispersed before it effected anyone, although on the other hand considering apparently it was able to cross lightyears, it might not have dispersed before wiping another planet out).
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Dînadan wrote:Side note, if so it probably means that supernova didn't just get sucked up into nothing; SpockPrime just made it someone else's problem
One day on the T'Kon homeworld, "Hey Barry... does the sun look bigger than usual?"
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

MissKittyFantastico wrote:
Dînadan wrote:Side note, if so it probably means that supernova didn't just get sucked up into nothing; SpockPrime just made it someone else's problem
One day on the T'Kon homeworld, "Hey Barry... does the sun look bigger than usual?"
"Don't worry, if it's a problem I'll just run really fast, turning back time to save the day."
"For the last time, just because your name is B'rry A'len doesn't make you the Flash."
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

"Welcome home."
"Home?"
"Don't you recognise your old stomping grounds? This is Earth, France, about, oh, three and a half billion years ago, give or take an eon or two. Smells awful, doesn't it? All that sulphur and volcanic ash. I really must speak to the maid."
"Q, is there any point to all this?"
"Look, at this point in history the anomaly... Hey wait a minute, that wasn't supposed to happen! What the...? Ugh, hang on a second."
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

Dînadan wrote:Side note, if so it probably means that supernova didn't just get sucked up into nothing; SpockPrime just made it someone else's problem (although I guess considering how big space is most likely it'd also come out in the middle of nowhere and it'd have dispersed before it effected anyone, although on the other hand considering apparently it was able to cross lightyears, it might not have dispersed before wiping another planet out).
Hmm. Based on what we have seen, wouldn't that mean it would have ended up in the same universe as Nero and Spock, but earlier than Nero just as Nero was earlier than Spock?

As for Vulcan, I always assumed that created yet another timeline when it went back.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Meushell wrote:
Dînadan wrote:Side note, if so it probably means that supernova didn't just get sucked up into nothing; SpockPrime just made it someone else's problem (although I guess considering how big space is most likely it'd also come out in the middle of nowhere and it'd have dispersed before it effected anyone, although on the other hand considering apparently it was able to cross lightyears, it might not have dispersed before wiping another planet out).
Hmm. Based on what we have seen, wouldn't that mean it would have ended up in the same universe as Nero and Spock, but earlier than Nero just as Nero was earlier than Spock?
Possibly; it would explain why the Kelvin looked more advanced than TOS tech, fitting with one of my personal headcannons, that the point of divergence in the timelines was before the Kelvin incident due to something that went into the anomaly but came out earlier than the Nerada, thus altering things from that earlier point.
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

Dînadan wrote:
Meushell wrote:
Possibly; it would explain why the Kelvin looked more advanced than TOS tech, fitting with one of my personal headcannons, that the point of divergence in the timelines was before the Kelvin incident due to something that went into the anomaly but came out earlier than the Nerada, thus altering things from that earlier point.
Scary thought. The supernova came from nowhere, wiped out several ships and possibly a planet or so. That's why they were more advanced. The incident scared the crap out of them.

Of course, that would make Spock look bad. It's possible the method would have been done safely if Nero hadn't interfered.