Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

First episode is dropped. I must say that I was satisfied with it. No villain yet, just like how Marvel Netflix did it. I can’t wait to see what happens next.
Power laces... alright.
Riedquat
Captain

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by Riedquat »

Worth paying attention to then? I watched the first series, found it OK despite numerous issues, not heard anything about the second to make me want to watch it, but the trailer for the third looked decent, but who trusts trailers?
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

I really hate how Captain Shaw treats Riker and Picard. A retired admiral, formally the head of Starfleet Academy and savior of the Federation at least 2 times, and the previous captain of the last Titan come to your ship and you have them put in the quarters fit for an Ensign/enlisted personnel? Mind you he had this planned BEFORE he even meet them. Dude is a jerk!

That's also not getting into how he treats Seven. How he requires her to use her birth name which she hasn't gone by since she was 8, since she was assimilated.

I will say there is a part of me that hopes Shaw isn't 'in' on the hunt for Crusher... In any fashion... I just want the jerky jerk to get jerked out of his seat for being that much of jerk.

OK, on the reveal at the end of the episode... He's not Picard's, at least I don't think so. I think Crusher did something REALLY stupid and they will be a full, not step, brother to Wesley.

I will give the show credit for all the fan shots. Also seeing an updated ESD with ship glam shots. YES! Also slower... Slower...
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
LordFeagans
Redshirt

Post by LordFeagans »

Saw the episode.

- Having spent part of my childhood at Shaw AFB, South Carolina, I knew instantly that Captain Shaw was going to be a dick. I have yet to have an encounter with the name "Shaw" that doesn't involve terrible assholes.

- Can a captain tell a subordinate what name to use? Like if a woman under his command got married and hyphenated her name, could her tell her to just go by her husband's name and drop the hyphen?

- Picard and Riker are both heroes and living legends, and Captain Shaw doesn't even bother meeting with them when they arrive on the ship, and he gives them both terrible quarters. I'm willing to bet that there was a noisy ice machine outside their quarters that Captain Shaw said not to fix, and to move it next to their quarters, just outside the door.

- Riker is giving LaForge's daughter crap for crashing two shuttles. Riker's wife has crashed two starships named "Enterprise" and how many shuttles have the Voyager crew crashed? Cut the woman some slack. Make fun of that smile she was giving you...channeling her inner Joker.

- I hope there isn't trouble at home between Will and his family. I hope it's more like with him being retired all he does it sit at home listening to jazz music and playing poker against holographic versions of himself and Deanna begged him to meet up with Picard and as soon as he left she and Kestra started listening to Country music and Queen.

- The Picard/Riker buddy comedy act should have been what this series focused on since the first episode of season 1.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

LordFeagans wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:21 am - The Picard/Riker buddy comedy act should have been what this series focused on since the first episode of season 1.
I wouldn't go that far, but I would say I'd have been happy if the entire episode was just Picard and Riker bantering. All that stuff was great.

I really like Seven as a character so seeing her being so miserable was not a good time. The whiplash of yay she's embracing to humanity to oh fuck she's not allowed to self identify stung.

One of the reasons why Lower Decks is my fave of the new era shows as while sure Starfleet has issues and badmirals are often a thing but on the whole people are in Starfleet as it's shown to be a good thing and the characters want to be there. Seven desperately needs to put in a transfer to Captain Boimler.

Raffi stuff I was also not keen on. Given they pruned the cast so hard for this season I'm not sure why they didn't also give her the boot when they had the chance. Any of the other newbies I'd have preffered to have stuck around if this is what we're going to get from her.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

LordFeagans wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:21 am
- Riker is giving LaForge's daughter crap for crashing two shuttles. Riker's wife has crashed two starships named "Enterprise" and how many shuttles have the Voyager crew crashed? Cut the woman some slack. Make fun of that smile she was giving you...channeling her inner Joker..
Dude you know that was a joke?
Power laces... alright.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

m4a2000 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:58 am I really hate how Captain Shaw treats Riker and Picard. A retired admiral, formally the head of Starfleet Academy and savior of the Federation at least 2 times, and the previous captain of the last Titan come to your ship and you have them put in the quarters fit for an Ensign/enlisted personnel? Mind you he had this planned BEFORE he even meet them. Dude is a jerk!

That's also not getting into how he treats Seven. How he requires her to use her birth name which she hasn't gone by since she was 8, since she was assimilated.

I will say there is a part of me that hopes Shaw isn't 'in' on the hunt for Crusher... In any fashion... I just want the jerky jerk to get jerked out of his seat for being that much of jerk.

OK, on the reveal at the end of the episode... He's not Picard's, at least I don't think so. I think Crusher did something REALLY stupid and they will be a full, not step, brother to Wesley.

I will give the show credit for all the fan shots. Also seeing an updated ESD with ship glam shots. YES! Also slower... Slower...
And formerly the man who killed 11,000 people at Wolf 359 of which we know there is resentment i.e. Sisko. And the guy who released Hugh instead of wiping out the Borg of which we know there is resentment i.e. Admiral Lachev. And the guy who betrayed Starfleet in Insurrection which stopped billions of people from receiving vital medical treatments. And the guy who got himself a bad reputation for the Mars thing whether deserved or not.

There is plenty of reason in-universe to hate Picard. We only have a good image of him thanks to the 4th wall.

As for deadnaming Seven, why are we suprised at this point? PIC has done everything it can to destroy the hopeful future of Trek. Protip: when Jonathan Archer seems less bigoted than you are, you've done fucked up with your liberal utopia.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

They didn’t rename her in the show, it was just the captain. She gets called 7 more often than Annika.
Power laces... alright.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

clearspira wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:10 pm
m4a2000 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:58 am I really hate how Captain Shaw treats Riker and Picard. A retired admiral, formally the head of Starfleet Academy and savior of the Federation at least 2 times, and the previous captain of the last Titan come to your ship and you have them put in the quarters fit for an Ensign/enlisted personnel? Mind you he had this planned BEFORE he even meet them. Dude is a jerk!

And formerly the man who killed 11,000 people at Wolf 359 of which we know there is resentment i.e. Sisko. And the guy who released Hugh instead of wiping out the Borg of which we know there is resentment i.e. Admiral Lachev. And the guy who betrayed Starfleet in Insurrection which stopped billions of people from receiving vital medical treatments. And the guy who got himself a bad reputation for the Mars thing whether deserved or not.

There is plenty of reason in-universe to hate Picard. We only have a good image of him thanks to the 4th wall.

As for deadnaming Seven, why are we suprised at this point? PIC has done everything it can to destroy the hopeful future of Trek. Protip: when Jonathan Archer seems less bigoted than you are, you've done fucked up with your liberal utopia.
Okay I will give you Wolf 359 being held against Picard. He was the face of that borg attack after all.
But the bit with Hugh? Two issues, it was one minor encounter and unless every action of Picard is required reading. Not going to be a highlight. Personally I do not think the origami thing would have actually harmed the borg. They already have unsolvable puzzles, they just back burner them till they get more information. The energy particle comes to mind on that one.
Insurrection issue is another blip. It was a clandestine operation by one admiral and a rogue alien force. So dissemination is unlikely. Now toss in two mitigating issues. Picard did not destroy the planet or rings, so the planet and its healing are still there. So millions can still be saved, they just need a road trip. And there is no proof the Son'a collector would even work. So it can be spun that Picard saved vital medical resources.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

So, decided to give it a try, and while it's too early, I don't see much improvement.
I mean, yeah, they toned down some of the more awful stuff that was present in the previous seasons, but there's also a lot of stupid:
-Somehow the phaser rifle needs to be cocked like a pump-action shotgun. And also loudly tells its user when it ran out of ammo. During a firefight. :roll:
-Random faceless alien mook somehow misses Beverly from 3 m away, while firing full auto. I think the only reason she gets a phaser wound is because it literally appeared there out of nowhere, kind of like that knife from Hugh's neck in S1.
-Riker is now separated from Deanna? Why?
-Raffi is now working undercover as a junkie, so she's just pretending to be one, but then why did she hesitate to throw away the drugs?
-Why can't they just chart a private ship to go to Beverly's location? Not only this was treated a nothing unusual in at least one TNG episode, it was literally a main plot point in S1 (especially since they knew they couldn't trust anyone from the Federation, deja vu), which is why they hired Rios. Was it urgency and travel time? I think the series treats those like GoT later seasons did, they travel at the speed of plot. And why not contact Geordi or some other captain both know? Surely they must know someone else. We're talking about two former Starfleet officers with at least 60 years worth of experience, surely they must have more than one "friend of a friend" that can help them.
-The mandatory asshole captain. Though, from some of the rumors, apparently he's angry at Picard because of his involvement in the Wolf 359, I think one of Shaw's relative died in that battle? I don't know, they seem to repeat Sisko's backstory there for some reason.

Maybe the next episodes will improve the story somehow, I don't know. But as it is, I feel that this season premiere was worse than S2, so maybe there will be a sort of inversion, S2 had a good premiere and the rest was dogshit, maybe here it will be opposite.