Should Kathleen Kennedy be let go from the Star Wars megaproject?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Should Kathleen Kennedy be let go from the Star Wars megaproject?

Post by Karha of Honor »

I did not expect PR problems like this. They should have someone who lets the artist do their thing more or just hires tv directors who can handle a bigger budget.
Ordo
Officer

Re: Should Kathleen Kennedy be let go from the Star Wars megaproject?

Post by Ordo »

She should stay right where she is, protecting the Star Wars brand from people trying to take it too far in another direction.

youtu.be/ye6GCY_vqYk
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

I think Disney think it's important for the Star Wars movies to have a consistent tone. Thus, if the directors and Disney disagree, they'll send out a head hunter, which cannot be done lightly because of "pay or play" and the other costs of replacing directors mid-production.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Ordo wrote:She should stay right where she is, protecting the Star Wars brand from people trying to take it too far in another direction.

youtu.be/ye6GCY_vqYk
In that case she should had picked different people in the first place.

Video games are big investments just like movies, i think they proved it that there is more to SW than the Lucas template.
TGLS wrote:I think Disney think it's important for the Star Wars movies to have a consistent tone. Thus, if the directors and Disney disagree, they'll send out a head hunter, which cannot be done lightly because of "pay or play" and the other costs of replacing directors mid-production.

Like Bond movies they should not do certain things. Besides that RL does not have a consistent tone for every human being...
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Agent Vinod wrote:
Ordo wrote:She should stay right where she is, protecting the Star Wars brand from people trying to take it too far in another direction.

youtu.be/ye6GCY_vqYk
Sometimes, despite your best efforts, people don't work out. She attempted to work with the directors and when the refused, picked someone else. There is nothing wrong with her actions, she gave them a chance to get it together and when they failed got rid of them.
Video games are big investments just like movies, i think they proved it that there is more to SW than the Lucas template.
If the movies fail they aren't selling games. The films are her primary focus, others are handling the games.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Ordo wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:

youtu.be/ye6GCY_vqYk
Sometimes, despite your best efforts, people don't work out. She attempted to work with the directors and when the refused, picked someone else. There is nothing wrong with her actions, she gave them a chance to get it together and when they failed got rid of them.
If the movies fail they aren't selling games. The films are her primary focus, others are handling the games.
She is supposed to hit way more instead missing multiple times considering the prominence of the franchise.

If they could sell games during and after the prequels...
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Agent Vinod wrote:
Ordo wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:

youtu.be/ye6GCY_vqYk
She is supposed to hit way more instead missing multiple times considering the prominence of the franchise.
TFA = Hit, RO = Hit, and TLJ is looking like another Hit...so her track record so far is just fine.
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Agent Vinod wrote:
Ordo wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:

youtu.be/ye6GCY_vqYk

Well, There were 3 year gaps between the prequels Disney is pushing a film out every year so there's less room them. Secondly the only big game made by Lucasfilm/Arts during that time was Republic Commando, the other big ones were licensed out just like they are now i.e Bioware, Obsidian (KOTOR), Pandemic (Battlefront).

I think Disney can tolerate a bit of bad press if shes still bringing in millions.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Ordo wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:
Ordo wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:

youtu.be/ye6GCY_vqYk
TFA = Hit, RO = Hit, and TLJ is looking like another Hit...so her track record so far is just fine.
The prequels were hits. Does not mean Lucas was the best person for the job.
GandALF wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:
Ordo wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:

youtu.be/ye6GCY_vqYk

Well, There were 3 year gaps between the prequels Disney is pushing a film out every year so there's less room them. Secondly the only big game made by Lucasfilm/Arts during that time was Republic Commando, the other big ones were licensed out just like they are now i.e Bioware, Obsidian (KOTOR), Pandemic (Battlefront).

I think Disney can tolerate a bit of bad press if shes still bringing in millions.
Who cares who developed it? They sold. David Duke could produce these movies and they would still sell like candy. At this point with all the reshoots it's like Disney is going out of it's way to make bad press. There is no reason to do that.
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Agent Vinod wrote:Who cares who developed it? They sold. David Duke could produce these movies and they would still sell like candy. At this point with all the reshoots it's like Disney is going out of it's way to make bad press. There is no reason to do that.
Yeah, but the The Imperial Wizard Awakens would get panned by critics because the cameramen had trouble filming with their hoods on leading to a massive drop off at the box office for the sequel.

Anyway, there still aren't the three year gaps for them to divide their marketing efforts, that's why there was a gap in chapters for the swtor expansion. The novels and comics are also more subdued nowadays, Or maybe DICE Battlefront's lukewarm reception has made them more cautious. Its also possible that with Rebels wrapping up they might shift the focus to games.

And how would Duke not create bad press?