Christmas Specials

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Christmas Specials

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

What's your favorite Christmas movie or TV episode? Is it one of the Christmas Carol adaptations? A Hallmark RomCom? Diehard? What movies do you associate with the holiday and why do you like to watch them around this season?

For me, it's Hogfather. I love the humor of course, and the philosophy. I like the slight changes like Albert's running gag and how they ironed things out a little to make them clearer. I always love hearing Death say "GOOD NIGHT, CHILDREN, EVERYWHERE".
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Christmas Specials

Post by Thebestoftherest »

How the GRinch stole christmas.
MightyDavidson
Officer

Post by MightyDavidson »

Muppets Christmas Carol.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Hogfather and Muppet Christmas Carol are the two I watch every year.

Just because those are both repeats: rewatched the Blackadder Christmas Carol because clearspira got me thinking about the series, do recommend.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

The Muppet Christmas Carol. A strange case of a perfect adaptation where fictional characters are playing other fictional characters and the casting is pretty much perfect for said characters. I LOVE how the film plays the story straight with the Muppet's usual antics being more subdued so when we get to The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come and the film makes no real jokes it's completely played straight with no real humor to it feels real because the film was willing to be more serious when it needed to be.

The songs are great, the horror is fantastic and it makes you feel the emotions it's going for.

While there are many good if not great adaptations of A Christmas Carol whenever I think of this story the Muppet version is the one that immediately comes to mind and one I always watch for this Holiday.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I'll take the Muppet Christmas future over the one in Disney Christmas Carol with Jim Carey
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:53 am I'll take the Muppet Christmas future over the one in Disney Christmas Carol with Jim Carey
Honestly I don't think the Carrey version isn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be. Visually it looks good, is very faithful to the book and I LOVE this film's version of The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come especially the bit where he first appears.

As many have pointed out the bit where Scrooge sees Bob's face as he's grieving for the loss of his son is one of the best moments in any Christmas Carol adaptation. And personally I love the bit they added with Scrooge taking the coins off Marley's eyes at the start of the film as it's such a terrible thing to do to someone Scrooge might have saw as a friend.

While not great it's honestly not that bad.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Tokyo Godfathers. This time I managed to convince my family to watch it, too and they really enjoyed it.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I saw a joke recently that Muppet Christmas Carol is the millennial version of It's a Wonderful Life, just from it's place in culture.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Winter wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:42 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:53 am I'll take the Muppet Christmas future over the one in Disney Christmas Carol with Jim Carey
Honestly I don't think the Carrey version isn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be. Visually it looks good, is very faithful to the book and I LOVE this film's version of The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come especially the bit where he first appears.

As many have pointed out the bit where Scrooge sees Bob's face as he's grieving for the loss of his son is one of the best moments in any Christmas Carol adaptation. And personally I love the bit they added with Scrooge taking the coins off Marley's eyes at the start of the film as it's such a terrible thing to do to someone Scrooge might have saw as a friend.

While not great it's honestly not that bad.
It not without it charm, and isn't probably the worst version. But to me it problems come down to one word "inconsistency". The film seems to randomly decide what tone it is scene from scene, heck not too long before the scene we got an overly long chase scene full of slapstick. I just feel they didn't have a good idea what they wanted this to be