The Acolyte

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
hammerofglass
Captain

The Acolyte

Post by hammerofglass »

First two episodes are good. I like that they're willing to have the villain look pretty silly but still be dangerous, like trying a series of martial arts moves against a force field and failing so hard the target doesn't even notice.

I am absolutely perplexed why the marketing was pushing the murder mystery angle, though. The characters in the show solve it half way through the first episode, and it was their immediate first guess even before then.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
J!!
Captain

Re: The Acolyte

Post by J!! »

hammerofglass wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:21 am I am absolutely perplexed why the marketing was pushing the murder mystery angle, though. The characters in the show solve it half way through the first episode, and it was their immediate first guess even before then.
Well, that's a bit disappointing then. While I haven't seen the show, I thinking about checking it out specifically because I found the murder mystery angle intriguing.

In my view, Star Wars is at its best when treated not as a genre, but as a setting into which other genre stories can be transposed. Hence Mando season 1 was so good, because it was basically Lone Wold & Cub in space. Also why it got less and less interesting as it moved away from that concept in subsequent seasons.

There's so much untapped potential in the Star Wars setting, but we just keep getting the same glorified fanfic over and over again.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Sol is the best character and it's not even close so far. He's reminding me of Qui Gon Jinn in ways I really appreciate.

Main concern is other Disney+ Star Wars shows have started well too and we know how that turned out.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

J!! wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:45 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:21 am I am absolutely perplexed why the marketing was pushing the murder mystery angle, though. The characters in the show solve it half way through the first episode, and it was their immediate first guess even before then.
Well, that's a bit disappointing then. While I haven't seen the show, I thinking about checking it out specifically because I found the murder mystery angle intriguing.

In my view, Star Wars is at its best when treated not as a genre, but as a setting into which other genre stories can be transposed. Hence Mando season 1 was so good, because it was basically Lone Wold & Cub in space. Also why it got less and less interesting as it moved away from that concept in subsequent seasons.

There's so much untapped potential in the Star Wars setting, but we just keep getting the same glorified fanfic over and over again.
There's a mystery, but specifically they know who did the murder.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

hammerofglass wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:05 am
J!! wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:45 pm

There's a mystery, but specifically they know who did the murder.
Yeah it's a Why Done It which I always find more interesting then a more conventional Who Done It.
Last edited by MithrandirOlorin on Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Can't beat a "howcatchem".
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

I was not at all interested in this show, but I gave it a shot anyway, which is not something I did for ADNDOR, AHSOKA, and THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT.

I… liked it. It’s fairly solid, with two leads that I’m actually interested in. I think it’s much better paced than THE MANDALORIAN. One thing that really helps this show is that because it’s so chronologically far removed from the other shows, there’s no legacy characters so there’s none of the baggage that the other shows had. I’m sure it’ll somehow tie in, but it doesn’t feel beholden if that makes sense.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I swear this show has the biggest most coordinated attack by the anti-woke mob I've ever seen. Every social media flooded with them and they all use the same half dozen lines, none of which actually refer to anything in the show. It's like a DDOS attack on fandom spaces, which now that I write it out might actually be the goal.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

hammerofglass wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:56 pm I swear this show has the biggest most coordinated attack by the anti-woke mob I've ever seen. Every social media flooded with them and they all use the same half dozen lines, none of which actually refer to anything in the show. It's like a DDOS attack on fandom spaces, which now that I write it out might actually be the goal.
The show dared have black female protag and white female show runner, two GRAVE sins that brave brave men in their late 40's who totally have healthy relationships with human beings were QUICK to degrade as inferior.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

hammerofglass wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:56 pm I swear this show has the biggest most coordinated attack by the anti-woke mob I've ever seen. Every social media flooded with them and they all use the same half dozen lines, none of which actually refer to anything in the show. It's like a DDOS attack on fandom spaces, which now that I write it out might actually be the goal.
Yeah. From what I gather, there is speculation that the statement 'Force is female' might end up in the series soon. Just from what I gather. I guess that is bad.
I got nothing to say here.