What is the relationship between Trek Discovery and Prime Timeline Treklit ?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Karha of Honor
Captain

What is the relationship between Trek Discovery and Prime Timeline Treklit ?

Post by Karha of Honor »

Anyone knows? Is the new series taking place in an era left empty by Treklit?

Prime Timeline Treklit = Same universe where most on screen Trek takes place minus the Kelvinverse.
Meushell
Officer

Re: What is the relationship between Trek Discovery and Prime Timeline Treklit ?

Post by Meushell »

It’s supposed to take place right before TOS in the prime universe.
Admiral X
Captain

Re: What is the relationship between Trek Discovery and Prime Timeline Treklit ?

Post by Admiral X »

I'd say there is no real relationship. Yes, the people making it may claim otherwise, but everything shown so far disagrees with that. This is a reboot/AU, just like the Abrams movies.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Agent Vinod wrote:Anyone knows? Is the new series taking place in an era left empty by Treklit?

Prime Timeline Treklit = Same universe where most on screen Trek takes place minus the Kelvinverse.
It's officially part of the prime timeline. I didn't want to say Treklit because, AFAIK, only what's on-screen is officially canon (sometimes some of what is on-screen isn't canon).

Unofficially... Aesthetically, I think it's pretty far along the Kelvin scale (sorry). Aesthetics aside... It'll probably cause fewer headaches to think of it as another reboot or as an alternate timeline.
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

I don't think the aesthetics are worth getting upset about, the spaceships look like spaceships and the aliens look alien and if you look closely it does the have some of the same shapes and patterns as TOS. It doesn't mean its more advanced, if I put chrome plating and blinking lights on a horse wagon, it doesn't stop being a horse wagon.

youtu.be/M1WemnsB98o
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Look, the main problem is the Tardigrade drive. This causes all kinds of trouble with the timeline. I do expect they'll wipe out the drive by the end of the season/series, but for things happening around the same time, it could cause problems.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Admiral X wrote:I'd say there is no real relationship. Yes, the people making it may claim otherwise, but everything shown so far disagrees with that. This is a reboot/AU, just like the Abrams movies.
Okay. How much Treklit does this contradict?
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

At the rate Discovery is going, I'm gonna saying this has more in common with the Abrams universe than the prime universe
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

The waterbear drive is one of the bigger differences between Discovery and the prime timeline. They may be able to write around this by saying it was discovered to be dangerous (it left starship captains with male pattern baldness for generations!) or inhumane. If it turned out to be inhumane, I could see it becoming a closely-guarded secret because a super-duper starship drive that only the bad guys are willing to use might not turn out well.

I can only think of a very few occasions where Starfleet would have been ready to throw the rules away, and those would have involved teleporting inside a Borg cube or a whale probe. I don't know if the drive has been shown to be accurate enough for that. Even the Dominion war never got that desperate, and if the drive had been used in the Dominion war, the crew of Deep Space Nine would probably not have been told.

The Klingons have changed in appearance, motivation (ethnic purity), and behavior (we have enemy dead -- do we form a burial detail or a dinner party?). Because the Klingons represent Trump supporters, and making them racist cannibals was a subtle nod to that.

Klingons have changed appearance in the past, obviously. They've also changed in motivation somewhat, as that obsession with "honor" started in TNG, at least as far as I can tell, and in DS9 Worf referred to militaristic expansionism as "the old ways." But the ST:D changes may well be considered more radical. It might be explained away by these being a different ethnicity (making the darker Klingons racist cannibals, which I am sure nobody would see any problem with, or may lightning strike me... slightly stunned), or some plague, or Superboy Prime punching reality.

Sarek having an adopted human daughter... Well, Spock never mentioned Sybok, and in an early episode he only mentioned that "one of his ancestors" married an Earth female. If we assume the ancestor was his father, that's more support for Spock being really, really private about his family.

It's an odd coincidence that both ST:D and Discovery had mention of tardigrades (Discovery's redwood tree had tardigrade DNA in it). I wonder if they were suddenly very popular six months ago or so. Was there a My Little Waterbear cartoon I missed?
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Darth Wedgius wrote:
The Klingons have changed in appearance, motivation (ethnic purity), and behavior (we have enemy dead -- do we form a burial detail or a dinner party?). Because the Klingons represent Trump supporters, and making them racist cannibals was a subtle nod to that.

Klingons have changed appearance in the past, obviously. They've also changed in motivation somewhat, as that obsession with "honor" started in TNG, at least as far as I can tell, and in DS9 Worf referred to militaristic expansionism as "the old ways." But the ST:D changes may well be considered more radical. It might be explained away by these being a different ethnicity (making the darker Klingons racist cannibals, which I am sure nobody would see any problem with, or may lightning strike me... slightly stunned), or some plague, or Superboy Prime punching reality.
I know I posted it in the other thread but its super revelant:

Worf:"You never told me that your wife was opposed to this marriage!"
Martok:"Sirella is a woman of strong convictions; she believes that by bringing aliens into our families we risk losing our identities as Klingons."
Worf:"That is a prejudiced, xenophobic view!"
Martok:"We are Klingons, Worf! We don't embrace other cultures, we conquer them! If someone wishes to join us, they must honor our traditions, and prove themselves worthy of wearing the crest of a Great House."

That's from DS9's You Are Cordially Invited from 20 years ago so its not new and not necessarily about ethnic purity exactly but about maintaining their independence and uniqueness, this is consistent with the "home sapiens only club" line in TUC and its clear in TNG that a lot of Klingons despise allying with the Federation.