Friday Poll #007 - Bond

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!

Which of the following is the best Bond?

Connery
10%
Lazenby
10%
Moore
No votes
Dalton
10%
Brosnan
30%
Craig
20%
Niven
10%
Ionic
10%
Covalent
No votes

Total votes: 10

TGLS
Captain

Friday Poll #007 - Bond

Post by TGLS »

Chemical and Actors
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Friday Poll #007 - Bond

Post by clearspira »

My favourite Bond is the one from Fleming's original books tbh. I guess going on that basis my favourite is probably Dalton as I have long believed that he was the closest in execution to the original.

Although fun fact: Fleming redesigned the book version of Bond after Connery was cast in ''Dr No'', making him not only closer to Connery's portrayal but also making Bond canonically Scottish - which honestly seems to have only been remembered in ''Skyfall'' and ''Majesty's Secret Service''. The rest if the time he is clearly meant to be English. He even says ''For England'' in Goldeneye. Its not a well-done retcon and a testament to the deterioration of the quality of the latter books due in part to Fleming's illness.
HumanXeroxMachine
Redshirt

Post by HumanXeroxMachine »

Brosnan is my favorite Bond. Moore being a very close second. He was the perfect blend of tough, serious, suave and charming.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

wow, suprised Brosnan is leading the pack right now, I mean I loved Goldeneye, never saw the world is not enough nor tomorrow never dies, and hated Die Another Day, figured Craig, Connery, or Moore would be leading.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Beelzquill wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:20 pm wow, suprised Brosnan is leading the pack right now, I mean I loved Goldeneye, never saw the world is not enough nor tomorrow never dies, and hated Die Another Day, figured Craig, Connery, or Moore would be leading.
By my estimation, for most people here, Brosnan was their first bond, and that wins.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

All I know is that Craig is the worst.
HumanXeroxMachine
Redshirt

Post by HumanXeroxMachine »

Beelzquill wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:20 pm wow, suprised Brosnan is leading the pack right now, I mean I loved Goldeneye, never saw the world is not enough nor tomorrow never dies, and hated Die Another Day, figured Craig, Connery, or Moore would be leading.
I really recommend Tomorrow Never Dies and The World Is Not Enough. Brosnan's run tends to get a bad rap in most Bond circles I've seen. It's a shame really because imo Brosnan really gave it his all. Never a dull moment for him. I even like Die Another Day. While yes it does has it's faults, I just can't find myself disliking it anymore.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Interesting that Roger Moore has no votes. I think of all Bonds, his has aged the worst for two reasons:

1) Slapstick and camp. Men with three nipples, murderous dwarfs, pigeons doing double-takes, racist redneck sheriff, Baron Samedi, Jaws, Christopher Walken. Watching a Moore James Bond film is often just kind of embarrassing nowadays.

2) Sexism. Don't get me wrong, the whole point of Bond is that he is a ''sexist misogynistic dinosaur'' as Judi Dench once noted, and Sean Connery did once borderline rape Pussy Galore, but Roger Moore's Bond was both very ''handy'' with women in a way that the others were not and often talked down to women in a very unpleasant way. Holly Goodhead in Moonraker was the worst. He is flabbergasted at the idea of a woman running Drax's space program and tries to demean her at every opportunity. Again, its just kind of embarrassing to watch now.