Your chances of surviving U.S. Civil War (+ nukes)?

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Your chances of surviving U.S. Civil War (+ nukes)?

Post by McAvoy »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:11 am Dude if there's a nuclear civil war, I don't WANT to survive. I've got three handles of apocolypse whiskey in my basement, along with some aging bottles of red and a nice scotch. That's all I need. Whoever loots my corpse will get fun items, as well as my cringiest cum-stained T-shirt.
Nuclear War? Post Nuclear apocalypse? Yeah if I survive, I'd do the same. I love close enough between two major cities, Philly and New York to get a nice lethal dose of radiation.
I got nothing to say here.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Yeah, I'd probably drive out to Houston to see if I could get hit in the initial blast as well. Trying to survive post apocalypse just seems like too much work.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

Georgia is the last place a new Civil War would start. You mention old colonial houses. There aren't any in Georgia. They all got burnt down in the last Civil War.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

A US Civil War would center around major metropolis' being besieged with all sorts of chaos brewing in them. Think the Paris Commune only scattered all over the country. Issue is, besides what parts of the military might side with them, the Left leaning portions of the country lack a lot of practical industry to help build themselves up (They could repurpose a lot of factories in places to produce firearms, but not much beyond them).

The main trouble, though, is water and how easily it is cut in places like SoCal.

It's in fact for these reasons why the Right leaning Americans I know would not want a Second Civil War, they especially fear what anger and hatred on both ends might be unleashed that could turn people towards seeing things as zero sum requiring slaughter to solve the matter. They would neither want to be on the giving or receiving end of that,but fear it would be the former, "We're the side with all the guns, after all".
clearspira wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:30 pm Thing is, a lot of people like to imagine that they would be Mad Max or Rick Grimes come the apocalypse. The fact is however that most modern people would die immediately without their cocoon of supermarkets, electricity, internet and modern healthcare. Do you know how to make fire or catch a wild animal or which wild berries to eat? I sure don't.
People also like to imagine things like that where they could be nice and heroically violent, but people would be scared and doing their best to cooperate rather than be at each others throats. Even if came to fighting it wouldn't be you and your community up against the Governor, but your group attack/defending against food raids or participating in hit and run attacks over some silly feud.

People need to think of the 19th Century Western Frontier (and not the WIld West), just only it coming after a lot of cannibalism....
clearspira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:40 am It is an historical irony that the more stable a civilization becomes, often, it becomes less equal. The rich/poor divide, the sexual divide, the status divide. The reason for that is because people who live from one winter or barbarian invasion to the next have precious little time to tolerate bullshit.
"You know honey, I'd love to get this harvest in on time so we don't all starve this winter like we almost did last year.... but your place is in the home."

Even the toddlers able to walk for the first time would be getting crops dumped in their arms to help out.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

A civil war with nuclear weapons seems very unlikely, but i suppose stranger things have happened. I could see a situation similar to the collapse of the Soviet Union where the civilian government was falling apart and there was a danger of military commanders acting on their own initiative.

What happens when you have a lot of scared people, soldiers and civilians, sitting on top of several billion dollars worth of state of the art weapon systems and no chain of command to tell them what to do and possibly no constitution to defend? Nukes or not, that is something i really don't want to see...