Friday Poll #008 - Fusion

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!

Which of the following is the best fusion?

Cellular Fusion
No votes
Electoral Fusion
No votes
Ford Fusion
No votes
Fusion (Enterprise)
No votes
Fusion Collab
10%
Fusion Cuisine
10%
Fusion Engines
10%
Fusion Monster
No votes
Fusion Power
60%
Metroid Fusion
10%

Total votes: 10

TGLS
Captain

Friday Poll #008 - Fusion

Post by TGLS »

Many kinds, few comparable.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Beelzquill
Officer

Re: Friday Poll #008 - Fusion

Post by Beelzquill »

I'd like some nuclear fusion, is that what fusion power is?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Beelzquill wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:17 pm I'd like some nuclear fusion, is that what fusion power is?
Fusion power is using nuclear fusion to generate electricity. Fusion engines is using nuclear fusion to fly a spacecraft. Like this.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Spam-desu
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

The correct answer is the fusion dance
Muzer
Redshirt

Post by Muzer »

Fusion power's gonna hopefully solve the problem of getting cheap practically unlimited energy, hopefully, so yeah. That one. (Might also solve the helium shortage, so that's a bonus ;))
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Muzer wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:04 pm Fusion power's gonna hopefully solve the problem of getting cheap practically unlimited energy, hopefully, so yeah. That one. (Might also solve the helium shortage, so that's a bonus ;))
Helium shortage? Sorry I did not know it was becoming rarer?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Nealithi wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:29 am Helium shortage? Sorry I did not know it was becoming rarer?
Helium is one of the few gases so light that it can escape the gravity of the Earth. As it can't chemically bond with other elements (as a noble gas), it is slowly lost. Most helium we have today has been extracted with natural gas.

Of course, fusion power generation might require more helium especially if we use a He3 fuel cycle.
Spam-desu
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

TGLS wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:36 am
Nealithi wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:29 am Helium shortage? Sorry I did not know it was becoming rarer?
Helium is one of the few gases so light that it can escape the gravity of the Earth. As it can't chemically bond with other elements (as a noble gas), it is slowly lost. Most helium we have today has been extracted with natural gas.

Of course, fusion power generation might require more helium especially if we use a He3 fuel cycle.
I got the lost. But I thought we had been separating it from something. A byproduct of gas mining makes sense. I didn't know where we got it from in the first place. Thank you.
Muzer
Redshirt

Post by Muzer »

I believe there's so little He3 on earth that it's unrealistic to expect it to be used as a fusion fuel source at least initially. I think deuterium and tritium are much more likely, and those reactions do produce helium. I think the general thinking is He3 would either need to be produced by other fusion reactions, or else mined from the moon which is thought to have a lot of it.

As for helium, yeah, there's been supply issues — I'm not sure if it's as far as a shortage yet, but certainly problems getting it — which have been steadily increasing until COVID struck, when there was a bit of a respite due to lower industrial and party balloon usage (albeit probably a temporary one; we'll see). The price of helium has been steadily climbing for a while now, and some important scientific uses have had it restricted.

Frankly helium in party balloons should probably be banned at this point. Besides, wouldn't hydrogen party balloons be cool — imagine the squeaky pops ;)
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

The only fusion I'm familiar with is con