SFDebris DvD?

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Earl_Of_Cola
Redshirt

SFDebris DvD?

Post by Earl_Of_Cola »

I have been watching SFDebris for over 10 years and its great. His reviews remind me of MST3k with an educational flair. I will say though, that the Youtubification of the reviews are good, but aren't 100% perfect due to needing to make them bot-friendly.

I just finished watching Madoka Magica on dvd, got a hankering to watch the SF Debris review and it hit me: I would pay good money to be able to buy the non-Youtube edition of these reviews. Be it on DvD or (far easier for Chuck to setup) on a digital copy. Would anyone else be interested in this? Maybe $2-$3 an episode?

The grey legality will no doubt require Chuck talking with his lawyer, but Rifftrax manages to sell their works and they avoided legal trouble.
TGLS
Captain

Re: SFDebris DvD?

Post by TGLS »

Earl_Of_Cola wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:29 pm The grey legality will no doubt require Chuck talking with his lawyer, but Rifftrax manages to sell their works and they avoided legal trouble.
If I understand rifftrax approach, they provide alternative audio tracks. Unless you're willing to pay Chuck for a glorified podcast (he really edits each episode), this wouldn't work
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Earl_Of_Cola
Redshirt

Re: SFDebris DvD?

Post by Earl_Of_Cola »

TGLS wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:15 pm
Earl_Of_Cola wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:29 pm The grey legality will no doubt require Chuck talking with his lawyer, but Rifftrax manages to sell their works and they avoided legal trouble.
If I understand rifftrax approach, they provide alternative audio tracks. Unless you're willing to pay Chuck for a glorified podcast (he really edits each episode), this wouldn't work
That explains how they got around legality, I could've sworn they sold the films also but a quick view on their website shows I am mistaken.

I managed to find an incomplete Blip archive with some SFDebris videos on it (including Madoka Magica) on the Internet Archive thankfully.

Maybe Chuck could offer the old downloads to a Patreon tier? It wouldn't bring in revenue like selling each episode would, but it should offset the additional bandwith costs.

As an aside, if Chuck did want to do a full on riff of some really bad Trek episodes, I would totally buy them too.