Nitpicks about the Purge franchise...

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Nitpicks about the Purge franchise...

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I feel like there's something troubling about the fact people are so conditioned to accept the idea of villains as super-intelligent geniuses who are better at their jobs than heroes that they fail to realize when a movie is just portraying them as vile human beings who are implementing something that doesn't work. The idea of fascist=incompetent is universal in the real world but almost nonexistent outside of Terry Gilliam's Brazil in fiction.

The purpose of the Purge is to kill the poor and distract the public. The rich can afford to buy protection for themselves as we see while the poor are vulnerable. The majority of Americans actually DON'T Purge because to do that is to be a complete psychopath. They just hunker down in their homes until it passes. The people who DO purge are entitled psychopathic religious fanatics explictly based on the Religious Right of today who have completely done away with the positive elements of Abrahamic religion.

Even then, they don't kill enough poor people and the government sends out death squads to do it. In RL plenty of governments did do this to get rid of social unrest--it's just the Purge is an exaggerated idea that the government could sell the idea of mass murder to the public as a religious and economic ideal.

Even then, it's not 100% working because people aren't complete psychopaths.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

The thing I find hardest to swallow is, well, property damage. We may get cavallier about human lives, but the Koch Brothers are goign to raise hell if their fabrige egg collection gets smashed.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:29 pm The thing I find hardest to swallow is, well, property damage. We may get cavalier about human lives, but the Koch Brothers are goign to raise hell if their fabrige egg collection gets smashed.
This is probably overthinking it but you just know there's a single monopoly-sized construction company owned by someone like Donald Flump or Bill Roch that gets all the government contracts for reconstruction.

Presumably after government housing burns and kills thousands of poor people so it can be rebuilt as a golf course.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Wouldn't it be easier to just fake terrorists leveling a city block and rebuild, without the silly "Unlimited Crime"?
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Even in the first one, also remember the "Purge Rules" are designed to limit the damage to the people most vulnerable.

1. They can't go after government officials. So, of course, they're safe and secure.

2. They can't use weapons higher than your average assault rifle.
TGLS wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:48 am Wouldn't it be easier to just fake terrorists leveling a city block and rebuild, without the silly "Unlimited Crime"?
People have voted against their self-interests many times in the name of religion (despite being against their religion's precepts) and patriotism (despite being against the interests of the nation).

Yes, the idea of the Purge is really, "Why can't people with cellphones and in the modern world call the police?"

But it's also exaggerated social commentary on how arbitrary and nonsensical some elements of society are.
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Post by PapaPalpatine »

Nitpick #9: Why in the bloody Hell would anyone wait until 7:00 pm (or 4 minutes til) to lock down their house on Purge Night? Wouldn't it make sense to lock down and arm your security system at least one or two hours early just in case someone tries to catch you with your pants down?
Last edited by PapaPalpatine on Sun May 27, 2018 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

One Nitpick I have with this is the government is really really stupid reversing their own immunity versus just having the woman killed in movie 3#.
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Post by PapaPalpatine »

Nitpick #11: Why would you give your idiot kid the code to the security system? Once everyone's in for the night and the house locked down, there's no good reason for anyone to be going outside until after 7:00 am the next morning and thus no reason why he'd need the code.

Nitpick #12: Why is almost nobody wearing body armor on Purge Night? Even the kind only rated for pistol caliber bullets would improve your odds of surviving.
Weregeld
Redshirt

Post by Weregeld »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEmr36AJm54 this covers the flaws about the purge pretty well
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Post by PapaPalpatine »

Nitpick #13 You know who would likely forebode the yearly Purge more than anyone else? Debt collection agencies. Not only is there a very real possibility that people with outstanding debts will die during Purge Night before you get so much as a penny out of them, but for many that night would be the perfect time to fake their deaths and just ditch their old lives. If the people in the later category did everything right, it would be next to impossible to prove that they're still among the living, leaving you little choice but to give up on ever collecting on those accounts.