Eat any good books lately Worf?

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Bernkastel
Redshirt

Re: Eat any good books lately Worf?

Post by Bernkastel »

I've started American Gods by Neil Gaiman. After that, I'll move on to Good Omens.
My Fanfics
Stop a Torie Landslide
"Die, Romeo! Thou stupid asshole!" - Juliet 1, Nier: Automata
KesaraRiku
Redshirt

Post by KesaraRiku »

Star Wars: Thrawn.

If you love the character this is the book for you.
Anduinel
Redshirt

Post by Anduinel »

The Secret History of the Mongol Queens. There's some interesting stuff about the way Genghis Kahn's daughters were responsible for the administration of his empire, how quickly the whole intricate system collapsed once he died and they were deposed, and the in-fighting that went on in the aftermath.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

I'm currently reading C.S. Lewis' The Dark Tower and Other Stories, a collection of his unfinished and short story science fiction. Since he's known as a religious writer and the guy who wrote The Chronicles of Narnia, it's easy to forget that he was a legitimate sci-fi author as well (he used to have some friendly correspondence and debate with Arthur C. Clarke on science fiction, space travel, and the like). His space trilogy is very good, although it becomes increasingly metaphysical.
The owls are not what they seem.
yamiangie
Redshirt

Post by yamiangie »

Oh yes my Sci Fi lit class read Out of the Silent planet, did never get around to finishing the others. I believe Out of the Silent planet was our book that walks the line between the two sides of speculative fiction. Or did I read it for the Fantasy class, I don't remember now same prof.
Paul Walker
Officer

Post by Paul Walker »

For any Star Wars fans, I thoroughly enjoyed "Thrawn" (the new book by Timothy Zahn). It incorporated some of the elements of older stories, but without completely rehashing them. Not as "big" as the original Thrawn Trilogy, but an enjoyable read regardless :)
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
MaxWylde
Officer

Post by MaxWylde »

I've started recently going through all of Michael Crichton's novels, and I started with The Andromeda Strain. The scenes where the Wildfire team are descending down the levels to Level 5 are more involved than what was shown in the movie (the newer version completely sucks).
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Next on queue for me is Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said, by Phillip K. Dick. I'm expecting a pretty entertaining read, which is one thing PKD usually delivers.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

I just started the recently released Beren and Luthien, by Tolkien of course. All the material has been published before in various places, but as with The Children of Hurin, there is some satisfaction in having it all compiled together and hopefully reaching a wider audience (those who don't scour the twelve volume work The History of Middle-earth.

This is also expected to be Christopher Tolkien's last contribution as an editor of his father's materials, which is bittersweet. It would be hard to overstate his contribution to his father's legendarium. This story was obviously of special significance both J.R.R. and Christopher.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

Currently on the second volume of Edmund Morris' biography of Theodore Roosevelt, Theodore Rex.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!