What's the last book you've read?

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: What's the last book you've read?

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Holy snaps! Is it available in audio form or paperback? =o That sounds great!

Recently finished "All Flesh is Grass". A scifi novel exploring beings with a truly alien mindset, an entire town suddenly cut off by an invisible barrier, and that's just the start of it.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
ORCACommander
Officer

Post by ORCACommander »

I am restarting The Mallazan Book of the Fallen
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

I'm going to pick back up a book I started and set a while back, Crucible of War, about the Seven Years'/French and Indian War. A super interesting time in American history that most people don't know a lot about (if they're like me anyway).
The owls are not what they seem.
NovaShoujo
Redshirt

Post by NovaShoujo »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:33 am Holy snaps! Is it available in audio form or paperback? =o That sounds great!
it's available in paperback but no audiobook.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:27 am I'm going to pick back up a book I started and set a while back, Crucible of War, about the Seven Years'/French and Indian War. A super interesting time in American history that most people don't know a lot about (if they're like me anyway).
You mean the war that directly leads to Britain imposing taxes on the american colonies, in order to pay for the debts resulting from said war about the american colonies? The one that directly lead to the Stamp Act and the taxing of tea? Can't imagine why nobody heard of it, especially in the US...

May I also suggest Mike Duncan's Revolutions Podcast? The American Revolution
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:01 am
ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:27 am I'm going to pick back up a book I started and set a while back, Crucible of War, about the Seven Years'/French and Indian War. A super interesting time in American history that most people don't know a lot about (if they're like me anyway).
You mean the war that directly leads to Britain imposing taxes on the american colonies, in order to pay for the debts resulting from said war about the american colonies? The one that directly lead to the Stamp Act and the taxing of tea? Can't imagine why nobody heard of it, especially in the US...

May I also suggest Mike Duncan's Revolutions Podcast? The American Revolution
It's part of high school history when I was there (the late 80's/early 90's), but the Revolution is not what it used to be in the American consciousness. It is an interesting time, but it seems nobody wants to talk about anything involving the birth of this nation and the natives who were here let aside the general opinion of dead white dude history.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

A few indelible moments and the obvious aftereffects of the Revolutionary War are remembered well enough, as are some of the larger-than-life figures involved, but as far as most Americans are concerned the conflict with Britain started with the Boston Tea Party. As with Vietnam, the context garners more attention than the conflict proper. The Civil War and WW2 are the two that seem to get the most attention among the general public, although the former obviously gets a lot of attention regarding social context as well.

Compared with those four wars, Americans are woefully ignorant of the major conflicts and country-defining events throughout the last three centuries. Something like the Texas Revolution would be almost forgotten (outside Texas that is) were it not for the Alamo, and I doubt most are even aware of the Mexican-American War. Even something as recent as the Korean War gets next to no attention.
The owls are not what they seem.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'm almost done with Timelike Infinity.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
TexasRed
Doctor's Assistant

Post by TexasRed »

TexasRed wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:53 am I don't reading every thread in the forum, which is something I probably should do given the things that
I've seen popping up around here, but I haven't seen a "what's the last book you've read" thread in a while so I'm creating one.

Books I've read in the last... oh six months or so:
Sea Power: The History and Geopolitics of the World's Oceans

The Next 100 Years: A Forecast for the 21st Century

On Basilisk Station: Honor Harrington, Book 1 (I've actually read this entire series, save for the last book in the series, I just like them so much I keep going back)

The Accidental Superpower: The Next Generation of American Preeminence and the Coming Global Disorder

The Absent Superpower: The Shale Revolution and a World Without America

Book I'm reading right now:
The Revenge of Geography: What the Map Tells Us About Coming Conflicts and the Battle Against Fate
Well time for an update I suppose.

Books I've read since the above quoted post:

Uncompromising Honor: Honor Harrington, Book 14 Latest book in the series and the last book in this arc.

Adults in the Room: My Battle with the European and American Deep Establishment

America: Empire of Liberty: The Complete BBC Radio 4 Series

And the Weak Suffer What They Must?: Europe's Crisis and America's Economic Future

The Empire and the Five Kings: America's Abdication and the Fate of the World

American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America

Accessory to War: The Unspoken Alliance Between Astrophysics and the Military

America's Secret War: Inside the Struggle Between the United States and Its Enemies

Elizabeth II: Life of a Monarch: An Audible Original

Christmas Eve, 1914

Twain’s Feast

Stephen Fry’s Victorian Secrets: An Audible Original

Horus Rising: The Horus Heresy, Book 1

The Revenge of Geography: What the Map Tells Us About Coming Conflicts and the Battle Against Fate

Book I'm reading now (listening to really, as my dyslexia makes it difficult for me to read for long periods of time.)

Dark Imperium: Warhammer 40,000

Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I am loving Timelike Infinity so far.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords