Nazis and the Nature of Evil

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Re: Nazis and the Nature of Evil

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:38 pm I think an underlying contention here was that morality is distinctly some compulsory system of behavior that one either has or does not. There's certainly people that respond to it in fashion that DBF has put forth, but it is not defined by such parameters.

Of course that's often not necessarily the precise construct that DBF is strongly trying to suggest intentionally, but that tends to be the sentiment that a lot of people regard for people that do horrible things, Hitler being the furthest thing from an exception. And I admittedly do have a hard time separating that from their take on the matter.
I do know not all bad people are "cartoons" but please don't tell me mustache twirling villains do not exist in real life, again, the first US serial killer said "I was born with the devil in me" and I watched a ton of documentaries on serial killers which said stuff like "they were born to kill" or generally treated their subjects like evil incarnate.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:59 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:38 pm I think an underlying contention here was that morality is distinctly some compulsory system of behavior that one either has or does not. There's certainly people that respond to it in fashion that DBF has put forth, but it is not defined by such parameters.

Of course that's often not necessarily the precise construct that DBF is strongly trying to suggest intentionally, but that tends to be the sentiment that a lot of people regard for people that do horrible things, Hitler being the furthest thing from an exception. And I admittedly do have a hard time separating that from their take on the matter.
I do know not all bad people are "cartoons" but please don't tell me mustache twirling villains do not exist in real life, again, the first US serial killer said "I was born with the devil in me" and I watched a ton of documentaries on serial killers which said stuff like "they were born to kill" or generally treated their subjects like evil incarnate.
Well I'm not sure if we disagree on much then :)
Power laces... alright.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:17 pm It's very telling in our society how serial killers are considered worse than the everyday criminal joe who molests and rapes his child, despite how common it is. I HATE that, and that they don't put in the hard work needed for true redemption, and if people found out, they would take his side! "Oh, that was a mistake, he's changed his ways, can't you let the past rest?" Tell that to his victims. They face permanent lifelong problems and despite even those who manage to recover, they never forget. It stays with them, that's how bad it is. It's truly the worst thing you can do to somebody. We all die. Murder is just speeding it up, unless there's torture involved. Sexual domination and violence doesn't happen to everyone, so that makes it a billion times worse when it does.
Nazis and the nature of Evil. If Nazi scientists designed a virus that killed everybody in the World except Category X, would Hitler have used it?

everyday criminal joe who molests and rapes his child, Wrong
My friend Russel was making a big speech that in prison, everyday criminal joes bully child molesters. I said "Because they are giving criminals a bad name."
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

That's good, at least. But there is still an overall effort to downplay the crime or the lifelong pain if people think the situation warrants it. Like insisting criminals in prison deserve it. Or that the victim in general "deserved" it for whatever reason. Which I don't agree with. There is never a proper time and place for that shit. Ever. Some time the victims themselves downplay it. I get it, they're trying very hard to cope with it, and are in denial, but even so, no one can just shrug that off. No one. And it perpetuates a bad message.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

can you at least accept that I really do have a completely uncompromising moral compass?

and if you do, doesn't it make sense that I cannot imagine anyone else doing so if there is something inherently different about them?