Fan-Fic idea discussion

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Fan-Fic idea discussion

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Thanos snap in other universe.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Endurance isn't a bad name for a starship that has endured a long time. It could be seen as a tip of the hat to Voyager in a meta way (not in-universe), another ship that took her name a bit too literally.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Speaking of names, I'm curious what people would think would be a good name for a show like this, which wouldn't just be the name of the ship. I think shows really ought to avoid naming themselves after the main ship or character because it tends to take some of the wind out of the sails whenever there's any kind of a peril plotline for them.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

What do you all think of these? Any more suggestions?

Raptor's Shadow

Warbird

Copper March

Old Bird

The Old Line

The Lost Generation

Grey Frontier

Final Patrol
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Both Endeavor and Endurance sound like apt thematic names for the story as you describe it.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:28 pm Endurance isn't a bad name for a starship that has endured a long time. It could be seen as a tip of the hat to Voyager in a meta way (not in-universe), another ship that took her name a bit too literally.
When put that way, I rescind my previous comment.

The Endurance
is a fitting name for the old man of the fleet.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Admiral X wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:04 am It's the last Constitution class ship that was commissioned and was built in the "refit" configuration. Initially, what I had in mind is that she'd also be the last one still in commission, with all the others having been either been destroyed, or decommissioned as the Excelsior, Miranda, and Constellation class ships become the workhorses of the fleet, but I wouldn't be against there being other Constitution class ships still being around. The premise of the show is that she's on what's supposed to be on a routine, boring, patrol mission along the Romulan Neutral Zone, which is why most of the crew is actually unhappy to be there, because they want to be out exploring strange new worlds and all that. The only one who's happy is the captain, who is basically looking for an easy job to run out the clock before he retires, having had a decades-long career. But, they all end up getting a lot more than they bargained for as the crew ends up getting a lot of that excitement and adventure they claimed they wanted to have, and the captain does not get the easy wind-down job he was hoping for. For example, the Tomed Incident is going to be a part of the show, and, no, it isn't going to follow what happened in the novels at all.

As for the names, aside from Endeavour and Emden being the canon ships listed with the highest registry numbers in Memory Alpha (both just being listed in the "Operation Retrieve" plan shown to the Federation President in Star Trek VI). Both names have history to them. Endurance is simply another name I've been wanting to give to a starship for a while, because of its history.
There is a Constitution class that met its fate during Wolf 359. Ex Astris Scientia has a great article going through all of the ships left in the debris.

May be a cool way to end your story - or at least its sequel. Just to throw ideas at you, picture this: in the rush to assemble his fleet to attack the Cube, ships started to come up short. So the USS Endurance (as it say, I like that name now) which is now some kind of forgotten freighter or cargo ship gets drafted in one last time to save the Earth. Yeah, sure, its a sad ending for it. But that is not to say it cannot have adventures along the way. Or that ''being destroyed'' even slows it down - this is Star Trek, timey wimey balls happen all the time after all.
King Green
Officer

Post by King Green »

Oh man, I just barely forgot I am also trying to make a ST: All Verse crossover fic! Its called "Grave of Giants" I got the first 8 chapters down and saved on my G-drive and are going to add a few Trek OC's with probably an extra dozen oc's in different verse's. SCP is the first 4 and I do plan of making it 80 chapters long.

Here are a few I'm looking into, tell me what are good to add:

Warhammer 40k: First contact with Snneesh

Mass Effect; pre-death of she-shepard

KOTOR: 100 years prior to game

MineCraft

Red Dwarf:S2 or 3

Warcraft 2

StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty and Ascension (maybe with Ghost DLC)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

And lastly, Judge Dread comics w/ Death Marches timeline.
Do not pity a Slave for the Slave-Lord, but hear the power of what Chaos can be.
All Beings bow before the children of he who bound their flesh by their words.
Fall and wail, all flesh, bone, soul,& power is a servant to Yun-man, the First Slave-Lord.