Is it really the M-SHE-U

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Is it really the M-SHE-U

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

McAvoy wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:20 pmCaptain Marvel. I will only go with the first one because I haven't watched the second one. Probably ground zero of all of this MSHEU. Placed in between Infinity War and Endgame, it performed well because everyone thought the movie would have something that really would lead up to Endgame. It did not. I personally found the movie average and a bit boring. No hero journey of any kind for Marvel, never really in true danger or given a moment of failure for her reflect on. Oh and Nick Fury lost his eye due to cat scratch which was BS.
So I think it's fine to centerpiece or keynote this movie as a point to touch basis. A lot of the issue that arises in reactionary fashion is more when you take a step back from the film itself and look at the trend. I think both sides could sensibly agree on that. So that potentially implicates everything or anything though when we're trying to deduce quality. Captain Marvel at the very least, we can agree on, is marketed more towards girls.

So I didn't think it was particularly bad, myself. I wasn't expecting a big tie-in to Endgame since Captain America really is the only movie franchise that was establishing the meat of the Avengers series plot. I think they tried to follow more the Christopher Reeves style plot with like a 90's teen-show tone like for Buffy or Sabrina. I mean SpiderMan 2017 at least emulated Richard Donner teen comedy movies through and through, so it probably worked better as a formulated motif.

What it feels like for me in terms of trend, is that more recent story templates will be used as a basis for establishing a hero representative of a an underrepresented demographic. And it's more just progressive towards any group really. It's seemed to be a case where it comes off derivative to one side but unprecedented to the other. On the contrary though I think Black Panther was pretty genuine in execution. The premise of the country and the chemistry of the hero and villain and their respective plots gelled pretty well for a wholesome ride.

Overall I think singling Captain Marvel out is kinda just picking on Hyper Fan Girl as a demographic. I mean really that's how I feel about complaining about Brie Larson's "man-hating" comments regarding movie reviews. It's like get over it.
..What mirror universe?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I enjoyed Captain Marvel a lot even though it didn't advance the "main plot" as it were. I liked how humanized its characters were. I thought the Supreme Intelligence made a great antagonist and it doesn't actually present as who you most admire, it presents as somebody who it thinks seeing will screw with you. I also enjoyed the 90s nostalgia. So sue me. >_>
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:31 am I enjoyed Captain Marvel a lot even though it didn't advance the "main plot" as it were. I liked how humanized its characters were. I thought the Supreme Intelligence made a great antagonist and it doesn't actually present as who you most admire, it presents as somebody who it thinks seeing will screw with you. I also enjoyed the 90s nostalgia. So sue me. >_>
Yeah I mean I thought it was fine, but would characterize it more as a early 2000's road trip movie more than an epic. It mostly kinda simmers but is consistent (imho).
..What mirror universe?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Nobody700 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:56 pm To clarify this is more me making fun of how people call this the M-SHE-U because some of the movies and shows were about women, and... that's it. Hell even if we consider them M-SHE-U, what is the PROBLEM with having that? I won't pretend that I liked She-Hulk show (even if She-Hulk herself is one of my fave marvel characters ever) but holy crap the 'She-Hulk existing is a crime and she twerked once so this is the END OF EVERYTHING EVER!'. I should clarify that I consider Eternals worse than almost any of these and Eternals was SUPER BAD, but by their definition, it can't be M-SHE-U cause Ikaris beats up women. A lot. Ergo, that must make the film good.
This is a personal thing on She Hulk, but it kinda has what I dub first season itis. A phenonium where a lot of tv show first seasons either straight up suck or is agree to be it weakest, even shows that achieve greatness later stuffer from it.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I also wonder how many people cry M-She-U are doing so not for any reason of artistic merit or constructive criticism but because they want an easy buck and snake oil usually make a profit.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

A term for that group (or at least one with a lot of overlap) that I saw floating around Warhammer 40k fandom recently is "culture war tourist". Bunch of men (and it's almost always men) coming out of the woodwork to pitch a fit about a minor lore change even though they clearly don't know anything about the property they're posing as fans of.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:36 pm A term for that group (or at least one with a lot of overlap) that I saw floating around Warhammer 40k fandom recently is "culture war tourist". Bunch of men (and it's almost always men) coming out of the woodwork to pitch a fit about a minor lore change even though they clearly don't know anything about the property they're posing as fans of.
There's a lot of manufactured dissent about these days. Whether it's paid, russians just trying to sow chaos or just generally trolls poisoning the well for a laugh doesn't really matter. Gotta look for the details to catch who's genuinely upset and those who stoke the fires.
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:10 am So, whatever happened to Clearspira anyway? I haven't seen him around here for a while.
Found someone who reasonably could be him on an unrelated message board, who posted just a day ago. So my guess is, he's fine and just taking a break.

Also, if you got a Twitter-account, just check here. I don't, so I can't access profiles and I don't feel like fiddling my way into Twitter unaccounted.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Hope he does okay. He always seemed just on the cusp of realizing he was being played to parrot ideas that would horrify him if he stopped to think and snapping out of it but he never could quite get there.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Atleast he has an interesting conversation not like frustration who just curse and act like an entitled brat, or dbf who literally blames us for HIS bad decisions and impulse control.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:31 pm Hope he does okay. He always seemed just on the cusp of realizing he was being played to parrot ideas that would horrify him if he stopped to think and snapping out of it but he never could quite get there.
Clearspira struck me as a bright lad who just couldn't admit to himself, that he's on a rather... circular and bumpy road politically. But then again, we all have a tendency to keep running on the road we're on, even if we get the feeling it's the wrong way. He's probably a nice neighbour to have, who'll always be willing to lend a hand, though he'll always look at you with a slightly tilted head and a raised brow.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox