Confused Matthew Has Retired

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Confused Matthew Has Retired

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Wild_Kraken wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:47 am The only time I ever seriously considered making a video was to respond to Confused Matthew's awful Lion King take. That being said, I wish him well.
Well I mean, bless the reviewer's heart or w/ever, but Simba is supposed to be like the equivalent of a 6 year old child or something, and a significant point of the review was lambasting the idea of him believing Scar's lie about his father's death being his fault lol.
Power laces... alright.
Wild_Kraken
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Wild_Kraken »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:37 pm
Wild_Kraken wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:47 am The only time I ever seriously considered making a video was to respond to Confused Matthew's awful Lion King take. That being said, I wish him well.
Well I mean, bless the reviewer's heart or w/ever, but Simba is supposed to be like the equivalent of a 6 year old child or something, and a significant point of the review was lambasting the idea of him believing Scar's lie about his father's death being his fault lol.
The main problem I had was his seeming to think that Cloud Mufasa was a literal ghost and not a figment of Simba's imagination. "Why didn't he show up earlier?" Because Simba was intentionally trying NOT to think about his past. "Why didn't he tell Simba something useful?" He can't tell Simba anything he doesn't already know. It was distressing finding out that this is actually one of the more common misunderstandings people have with the movie.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Wild_Kraken wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:54 pmThe main problem I had was his seeming to think that Cloud Mufasa was a literal ghost and not a figment of Simba's imagination. "Why didn't he show up earlier?" Because Simba was intentionally trying NOT to think about his past. "Why didn't he tell Simba something useful?" He can't tell Simba anything he doesn't already know. It was distressing finding out that this is actually one of the more common misunderstandings people have with the movie.
That was actually one of my major issues with Matthew. He sometimes got a detail completely wrong and then harps on based on a false assumption or misunderstood detail for the entire length of the video, without questioning himself or his position, when it obviously clashes with the majority's opinion. Not that the majority is always right and you always have to follow the group-think, quite the opposite, but when the majority thinks something that you do not agree with, then this really is a sign that you need to re-examine and re-evaluate your position.

Still, some of his points remain true. Timon and Pumba are the devil in disguise.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Lol I guess it'd be cool if they made him a real ghost, but yeah I wouldn't think about it for too long if that was my impression. As a kid of course maybe I would or did, but CM was like 26 when he did the review. A lot of his reviews did seem to be channeled frustrations that he had with the movies at the outset of him seeing them for the first time.

lol @ those rodent twats Timone and Pumba.
Power laces... alright.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:58 pm Lol I guess it'd be cool if they made him a real ghost, but yeah I wouldn't think about it for too long if that was my impression. As a kid of course maybe I would or did, but CM was like 26 when he did the review. A lot of his reviews did seem to be channeled frustrations that he had with the movies at the outset of him seeing them for the first time.

Also, as he mentioned in one of his recent vlogs (and is painfully recalled by those of us who made it through it), this era of reviewers was a culture very heavily focused around not actually giving an honest personal opinion but instead creating a persona to hate things and review hyperbolic versions of things. Any mistakes made were deflected with "that's just my character, the ignorant arrogant blowhard. I know better". Thankfully the field has widened since, although the shock jocks still exist.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Wild_Kraken wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:54 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:37 pm
The main problem I had was his seeming to think that Cloud Mufasa was a literal ghost and not a figment of Simba's imagination. "Why didn't he show up earlier?" Because Simba was intentionally trying NOT to think about his past. "Why didn't he tell Simba something useful?" He can't tell Simba anything he doesn't already know. It was distressing finding out that this is actually one of the more common misunderstandings people have with the movie.
It's not a misunderstanding; it's a legitimate (and frankly more likely) interpretation.

Mufasa was indeed a ghost (or at least, it's intentionally ambiguous- Rafiki seems to see him, though), The reason he didn't show up earlier was simply that Simba was not ready / able to hear him, and the reason he didn't tell him more is that he didn't need to (plus, he didn't want to go back to the Pride Lands with murder on his mind); Ghost Mufasa presumably knew how things would play out, as heavenly spirits are want to do.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Deledrius wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:30 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:58 pm Lol I guess it'd be cool if they made him a real ghost, but yeah I wouldn't think about it for too long if that was my impression. As a kid of course maybe I would or did, but CM was like 26 when he did the review. A lot of his reviews did seem to be channeled frustrations that he had with the movies at the outset of him seeing them for the first time.

Also, as he mentioned in one of his recent vlogs (and is painfully recalled by those of us who made it through it), this era of reviewers was a culture very heavily focused around not actually giving an honest personal opinion but instead creating a persona to hate things and review hyperbolic versions of things. Any mistakes made were deflected with "that's just my character, the ignorant arrogant blowhard. I know better". Thankfully the field has widened since, although the shock jocks still exist.
Everyone wanted to be Channel Awesome. Rather ironic when you look back given what we know now.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Deledrius wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:30 pm

Well not saying I was sure of that, but I knew something wasn't really right. He answered questions all the time but would not address these kind of responses to his stuff. They sure did fit together as entertaining videos though, so I do get it.
Jonathan101 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:53 pm It's not a misunderstanding; it's a legitimate (and frankly more likely) interpretation.

Mufasa was indeed a ghost (or at least, it's intentionally ambiguous- Rafiki seems to see him, though), The reason he didn't show up earlier was simply that Simba was not ready / able to hear him, and the reason he didn't tell him more is that he didn't need to (plus, he didn't want to go back to the Pride Lands with murder on his mind); Ghost Mufasa presumably knew how things would play out, as heavenly spirits are want to do.
Rafiki could have just been playing along as Simba goes on his acid trip. It adds to the effect.

I often think this kind of thing is supposed to work both ways so that you're not really certain as to whether it's a real spiritual thing or a self reflection. Sometimes they give you a little nod in the story just to hint at the fact that it is real.
Power laces... alright.