The Left was Anti-War even during the lead up to WW2 (and the Right was not)

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: The Left was Anti-War even during the lead up to WW2 (and the Right was not)

Post by Madner Kami »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:53 amI feel like it should be pretty normal on the Internet to expect the body of a Text to be more Nuanced then the attention grabbing title.
No, it shouldn't. This forum is not a yellow press, sensationalist opinion-piece of some fringe group. A title sets an expectation, as it leads the reader into the post. It sets the mood and it gives an idea what the thread will be about. You can't stand on your soap-box, shout some nonsense and then expect the people listening to do the nuance for you. That's not how that works. That's how you get people mistrusting and dismissing you.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Re: The Left was Anti-War even during the lead up to WW2 (and the Right was not)

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Madner Kami wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:34 am
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:53 amI feel like it should be pretty normal on the Internet to expect the body of a Text to be more Nuanced then the attention grabbing title.
No, it shouldn't. This forum is not a yellow press, sensationalist opinion-piece of some fringe group. A title sets an expectation, as it leads the reader into the post. It sets the mood and it gives an idea what the thread will be about. You can't stand on your soap-box, shout some nonsense and then expect the people listening to do the nuance for you. That's not how that works. That's how you get people mistrusting and dismissing you.
Most people understood me just fine, only two of your are nitpicking me.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Blame-shifting...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Even during the Vietnam and Iraq war debates there were exceptions to the Conservatives being Pro-War and the Left or Liberals being Anti-War. It was perfectly normal except the same in this analysis of WW2.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

You brought it up and nobody is actually disagreeing. What is the point of this conversation?
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:44 am Most people understood me just fine, only two of your are nitpicking me.
It isn't really nitpicking when over two thirds of your essay is listing off people (or groups of people) and noting their political alignment and whether they were pro-war (where pro-war is defined as the same as being in favour of FDR's foreign policy).

Nitpicking would be more like:
  • Assessing whether Saddam and Hitler are morally equivalent.
  • Arguing about the Gulf Wars
  • Debating the importance of pro-Fascists in the anti-war movement.
  • Arguing that the majority of a whole generation fought in WW2, so obviously they were the ones who involved with Neo-Nazism.
  • Pointing out MacArthur advised Kennedy against a military buildup in Vietnam and invading Cuba
  • Discussing how post-facto assessment of Nazi Germany's chance of success in WW2 neglects the limited information and perceptions at the time in favour of a god's eye view of the situation.
  • Noting how the the war was thrust upon the United States with Pearl Harbour.
  • Discussing the validity of whether "All Nazis are War Criminals"
  • Arguing the naked aggression, and brutality of Japan's war in China made them absolutely necessary to oppose.
  • Debating Chiang Kai-Shek's Fascist credentials.
  • Discussing Germany's relations with China and Japan in the 1930s and how they steadily ended up favouring Japan over China.
  • Arguing about the existence of a "Capitalist Military Industrial Complex"
  • Arguing about whether the United States sought a war against Japan.
So yeah, a lot of nits to pick. Focusing on the apparent thesis statement in the title? Not really nitpicking.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

TGLS wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:18 pm
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:44 am Most people understood me just fine, only two of your are nitpicking me.
It isn't really nitpicking when over two thirds of your essay is listing off people (or groups of people) and noting their political alignment and whether they were pro-war (where pro-war is defined as the same as being in favour of FDR's foreign policy).

Nitpicking would be more like:
  • Assessing whether Saddam and Hitler are morally equivalent.
  • Arguing about the Gulf Wars
  • Debating the importance of pro-Fascists in the anti-war movement.
  • Arguing that the majority of a whole generation fought in WW2, so obviously they were the ones who involved with Neo-Nazism.
  • Pointing out MacArthur advised Kennedy against a military buildup in Vietnam and invading Cuba
  • Discussing how post-facto assessment of Nazi Germany's chance of success in WW2 neglects the limited information and perceptions at the time in favour of a god's eye view of the situation.
  • Noting how the the war was thrust upon the United States with Pearl Harbour.
  • Discussing the validity of whether "All Nazis are War Criminals"
  • Arguing the naked aggression, and brutality of Japan's war in China made them absolutely necessary to oppose.
  • Debating Chiang Kai-Shek's Fascist credentials.
  • Discussing Germany's relations with China and Japan in the 1930s and how they steadily ended up favouring Japan over China.
  • Arguing about the existence of a "Capitalist Military Industrial Complex"
  • Arguing about whether the United States sought a war against Japan.
So yeah, a lot of nits to pick. Focusing on the apparent thesis statement in the title? Not really nitpicking.
And I am more interested in discussing all of those then I am the semantic accuracy of my title.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

As an anecdotal piece of evidence, I should note that this certainly applies to plenty of people in the present today.

Barack Obama's response to the War on Terror wasn't to try and end it, Barack Obama's response to the War on Terror was to try and WIN it. A lot of people feel that his Nobel Peace Prize was ill-deserved because of his efforts that ended up really screwing over Yemen (Saudi Arabia: Oh yes, it's absolutely full of terrorists out to kill America and we don't want to take it over at all), got us involved in countless attacks on other nations, and almost expanded us into war with Iran.

Joe Biden by contrast was greatly against the Afghanistan War and continued Donald J. Trump's policy of withdrawal even when there were a lot of liberals (myself included) who were like, "Withdrawal is going to lead to a horrific humanitarian crisis, especially when these people have nowhere to go and were made promises to be given safe harbor."
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:25 am As an anecdotal piece of evidence, I should note that this certainly applies to plenty of people in the present today.

Barack Obama's response to the War on Terror wasn't to try and end it, Barack Obama's response to the War on Terror was to try and WIN it. A lot of people feel that his Nobel Peace Prize was ill-deserved because of his efforts that ended up really screwing over Yemen (Saudi Arabia: Oh yes, it's absolutely full of terrorists out to kill America and we don't want to take it over at all), got us involved in countless attacks on other nations, and almost expanded us into war with Iran.

Joe Biden by contrast was greatly against the Afghanistan War and continued Donald J. Trump's policy of withdrawal even when there were a lot of liberals (myself included) who were like, "Withdrawal is going to lead to a horrific humanitarian crisis, especially when these people have nowhere to go and were made promises to be given safe harbor."
Yes the Centrist Liberals are just War Mongers more selective about which War.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:37 pm Yes the Centrist Liberals are just War Mongers more selective about which War.
I mean the Left has never been defined as pacifist. A lot of pacifists lean Left but it's not a fundamental of Leftist ideology.

Especially since revolution is a large part of Leftist rhetoric in many countries.

So I'm not sure, "Yes, they choose which war to support based on exigent circumstances" is the argument you think it is.