Fascism is Heroarchy

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Heroarchy is Fascism

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:56 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:33 pm
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:05 pmwith his thesis is the change in English land Law that happened in 1290 actually increased the power of the Nobility relative too no Nobel kind of land owners. That's also the same year that the same King banned kicked all of the Jews out of England.
That’s just one country in Europe and it’s still long before the conventional date of 1600. I don’t believe you’re supposed to look for seeds of a political system to define an era. When one system clearly dominates the other in the overall region is what defines the era.
Exactly, I'm the one arguing that's not when Feudalism ended or began.
Didn’t seem to be too pivotal of an argument on their end. Also it works in the context of an equinox fulcrum.
Power laces... alright.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:47 am
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:05 pmwith his thesis is the change in English land Law that happened in 1290 actually increased the power of the Nobility relative too no Nobel kind of land owners. That's also the same year that the same King banned kicked all of the Jews out of England.
That’s just one country in Europe and it’s still long before the conventional date of 1600. I don’t believe you’re supposed to look for seeds of a political system to define an era. When one system clearly dominates the other in the overall region is what defines the era.
Didn’t seem to be too pivotal of an argument on their end. Also it works in the context of an equinox fulcrum.
A lot of this argument resembles common New Atheist tropes about the Middle Ages were so back and the Renaissance so good, just changing when to put the dividing line.

The problem a lot of what these people like about the Renaissance was always going on in the Middle Ages, and a lot of what's so Dystopic about the Middle Ages was still part of Renaissance Europe, inf act the Witch Hunts were mostly a Renaissance thing.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Witch hunts were actually mostly after the Renaissance, it was an early-modern thing.

There actually is a fairly well-developed Marxist reading of the witch hunts and the foundations of capitalism you might be interested in, Caliban and the Witch covers it pretty thoroughly. Philosophy Tube does a pretty good job hitting the high points in her video on it as well.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Power laces... alright.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:09 am
A lot of this argument resembles common New Atheist tropes about the Middle Ages were so back and the Renaissance so good, just changing when to put the dividing line.

The problem a lot of what these people like about the Renaissance was always going on in the Middle Ages, and a lot of what's so Dystopic about the Middle Ages was still part of Renaissance Europe, inf act the Witch Hunts were mostly a Renaissance thing.
New Atheist?
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

clearspira wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:10 pm

New Atheist?
They're a particular kind of Internet Atheist known for their very bad ideas about History.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

I've added this to the post back on my Blog.

Update May 27th: Thing about this post is that was never meant to stand alone, I'm hoping will look into the already existing arguments for the connection between Carlyle and Fascism as well as knowing something about the Caligari to Hitler thesis and Starship Troopers discourse and criticism of Joseph Campbell. I would to add my two cents that already existing conversion and then use it to talk about few Anime and some Star Wars.

I definitely made a mistake in the Yuki Yuna section. Citing the stab-in-the-back myth specifically doesn't hold up because that whole thing is about who to blame for losing a war when the Heroes in YuYuYu didn't lose, they Won pretty unambiguously. So the situation is more like Italy who was on the winning side of WWI but didn't get what they were promised by the Allies so felt rather screwed over, especially the Veterans.

My prior post on Gate ultimately doesn't talk about the scene that actually what I'm talking about in this post. The most Fascist scene in Gate is the Diet scene, where the whole storyline is about demonizing the Civilian Government for daring to question the Military.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:15 am I've added this to the post back on my Blog.

Update May 27th: Thing about this post is that was never meant to stand alone, I'm hoping will look into the already existing arguments for the connection between Carlyle and Fascism as well as knowing something about the Caligari to Hitler thesis and Starship Troopers discourse and criticism of Joseph Campbell. I would to add my two cents that already existing conversion and then use it to talk about few Anime and some Star Wars.

I definitely made a mistake in the Yuki Yuna section. Citing the stab-in-the-back myth specifically doesn't hold up because that whole thing is about who to blame for losing a war when the Heroes in YuYuYu didn't lose, they Won pretty unambiguously. So the situation is more like Italy who was on the winning side of WWI but didn't get what they were promised by the Allies so felt rather screwed over, especially the Veterans.

My prior post on Gate ultimately doesn't talk about the scene that actually what I'm talking about in this post. The most Fascist scene in Gate is the Diet scene, where the whole storyline is about demonizing the Civilian Government for daring to question the Military.
Your mistake was naming this thread ''All Heroes are Fascists.'' Yeah, that ain't what you exactly called it, but that is what everyone read it as. If you had named the thread something like ''Discussing Heroism'' it would be about 15 pages smaller.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:12 pm
clearspira wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:10 pm

New Atheist?
They're a particular kind of Internet Atheist known for their very bad ideas about History.
Fair enough, but I fail to see why Atheists in particular are being singled out. You won't find too many 2023 Christians who liked the Middle Ages either. Unless you want to enlighten me on your views of the Crusades.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Because New Atheists are a specific phenomena that's very relevant to Internet discourse of the last Decade.
clearspira wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:41 am
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:15 am I've added this to the post back on my Blog.

Your mistake was naming this thread ''All Heroes are Fascists.'' Yeah, that ain't what you exactly called it, but that is what everyone read it as. If you had named the thread something like ''Discussing Heroism'' it would be about 15 pages smaller.
No that's not what I called it, you are ignoring the "archy" part of the word.