Fascism is Heroarchy

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Heroarchy is Fascism

Post by hammerofglass »

The New Atheists fell apart along political lines around 2014.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:25 pm Because New Atheists are a specific phenomena that's very relevant to Internet discourse of the last Decade.
clearspira wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:41 am
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:15 am I've added this to the post back on my Blog.

Update May 27th: Thing about this post is that was never meant to stand alone, I'm hoping will look into the already existing arguments for the connection between Carlyle and Fascism as well as knowing something about the Caligari to Hitler thesis and Starship Troopers discourse and criticism of Joseph Campbell. I would to add my two cents that already existing conversion and then use it to talk about few Anime and some Star Wars.

I definitely made a mistake in the Yuki Yuna section. Citing the stab-in-the-back myth specifically doesn't hold up because that whole thing is about who to blame for losing a war when the Heroes in YuYuYu didn't lose, they Won pretty unambiguously. So the situation is more like Italy who was on the winning side of WWI but didn't get what they were promised by the Allies so felt rather screwed over, especially the Veterans.

My prior post on Gate ultimately doesn't talk about the scene that actually what I'm talking about in this post. The most Fascist scene in Gate is the Diet scene, where the whole storyline is about demonizing the Civilian Government for daring to question the Military.
Your mistake was naming this thread ''All Heroes are Fascists.'' Yeah, that ain't what you exactly called it, but that is what everyone read it as. If you had named the thread something like ''Discussing Heroism'' it would be about 15 pages smaller.
No that's not what I called it, you are ignoring the "archy" part of the word.
Come on, don't be dense. I know you aren't. That means nothing to 99% of everyone else.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

clearspira wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:52 pm
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:25 pm Because New Atheists are a specific phenomena that's very relevant to Internet discourse of the last Decade.
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:15 am I've added this to the post back on my Blog.

Update May 27th: Thing about this post is that was never meant to stand alone, I'm hoping will look into the already existing arguments for the connection between Carlyle and Fascism as well as knowing something about the Caligari to Hitler thesis and Starship Troopers discourse and criticism of Joseph Campbell. I would to add my two cents that already existing conversion and then use it to talk about few Anime and some Star Wars.

I definitely made a mistake in the Yuki Yuna section. Citing the stab-in-the-back myth specifically doesn't hold up because that whole thing is about who to blame for losing a war when the Heroes in YuYuYu didn't lose, they Won pretty unambiguously. So the situation is more like Italy who was on the winning side of WWI but didn't get what they were promised by the Allies so felt rather screwed over, especially the Veterans.

My prior post on Gate ultimately doesn't talk about the scene that actually what I'm talking about in this post. The most Fascist scene in Gate is the Diet scene, where the whole storyline is about demonizing the Civilian Government for daring to question the Military.
Your mistake was naming this thread ''All Heroes are Fascists.'' Yeah, that ain't what you exactly called it, but that is what everyone read it as. If you had named the thread something like ''Discussing Heroism'' it would be about 15 pages smaller.
Come on, don't be dense. I know you aren't. That means nothing to 99% of everyone else.
Well that's there problem because distinction is vital to the entire premise of what I was talking about.
Call me KuudereKun
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

A lot of the conversation and even the initial post of the thread involves a lot of posturing with regard to historical figures, to which the full implications of much of the topic inclusive up to the principal point of argument isn't the most clear.

There's a lot of consistency between a hero and the central cult of personality that Fascism generally suggests. The follow through of history and the circumstances surrounding even the original carnation of a hero makes it hard to suggest that heroism somehow a consequent of Fascism proper inclusive of the prevailing philosophies and examples of administration in governments. This was my assertion for a bit in this thread, and to my satisfaction Mithrandir convinced me that that wasn't really their point.

I can see the original appeal of a war hero being what Fascism picks up upon, and the general admiration of a hero in that time can be linked, but it would be very selective of the population sample considering how much more breadth the modern concept of a hero has developed.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:49 am
clearspira wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:52 pm

Well that's there problem because distinction is vital to the entire premise of what I was talking about.
Which is why it needed a better title. OR a better explanation in your first post.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:06 pmThis is BTW the gist of why the society depicted in Starship Troopers is viewed as Fascist.
I'm watching the movie right now, and there is way more to be said about fascism than the fact that Rico partakes on a hero's journey.
..What mirror universe?
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:34 pm
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:06 pmThis is BTW the gist of why the society depicted in Starship Troopers is viewed as Fascist.
I'm watching the movie right now, and there is way more to be said about fascism than the fact that Rico partakes on a hero's journey.
I was referring the original which is not viewed a Satire but as expression Henlian actual ideology.
Call me KuudereKun
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:49 am
I was referring the original which is not viewed a Satire but as expression Henlian actual ideology.
Ah, okay. That sounds kidna interesting.
..What mirror universe?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:35 am
It's not. Half the book is the protagonist listening to lectures about it and accepting them uncritically.

The actual sci-fi action bits are good though, it's a classic for a reason. Pretty much invented drop pods power armor and mechs, none of which made it into the movie.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

hammerofglass wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:59 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:35 am
It's not. Half the book is the protagonist listening to lectures about it and accepting them uncritically.

The actual sci-fi action bits are good though, it's a classic for a reason. Pretty much invented drop pods power armor and mechs, none of which made it into the movie.
There was an Anime Adaptation made in the 80s, I still haven't watched it yet though.
Call me KuudereKun