Fascism is Heroarchy

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Heroarchy is Fascism

Post by Madner Kami »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:16 am There was an Anime Adaptation made in the 80s, I still haven't watched it yet though.
Six-part OVA. You can find it on YouTube with english subtitles and due to copyright-hell, nobody really cares so far (an LD-version without subs is available online as well). It's much closer to the book, but still takes some liberties (somehow Johnny looks like the Aryan he is in Verhoeven's version, despite no ties between both iterations at all) and only covers about the first 10 chapters, but otherwise it's fairly unremarkable.

Sunrise allegedly wanted to create a "Starship Troopers"-adaption for quite a while, but Heinlein refused them permission to use the material, which apparently directly lead into Sunrise creating Mobile Suit Gundam instead. The design of the powered armor has been around since at least 1981, when it was used in a short for the Daicon III- and IV-convention openings.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

hammerofglass wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:59 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:35 am
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:49 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:34 pm
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:06 pmThis is BTW the gist of why the society depicted in Starship Troopers is viewed as Fascist.
I'm watching the movie right now, and there is way more to be said about fascism than the fact that Rico partakes on a hero's journey.
I was referring the original which is not viewed a Satire but as expression Henlian actual ideology.
Ah, okay. That sounds kidna interesting.
It's not. Half the book is the protagonist listening to lectures about it and accepting them uncritically.

The actual sci-fi action bits are good though, it's a classic for a reason. Pretty much invented drop pods power armor and mechs, none of which made it into the movie.
I couldn't help but think of Empire Strikes Back while watching the scene where Rico takes down the first giant bug. Both stories are also fascist satire of the US.
Power laces... alright.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:23 am I couldn't help but think of Empire Strikes Back while watching the scene where Rico takes down the first giant bug. Both stories are also fascist satire of the US.
Erm... what? Which stories? Starship Troopers and Empire Strikes Back?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Madner Kami wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:14 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:23 am I couldn't help but think of Empire Strikes Back while watching the scene where Rico takes down the first giant bug. Both stories are also fascist satire of the US.
Star Wars is known to have an allegorical basis in the Vietnam war, satirizing imperial aspects of America. It’s much more notable with starship troopers.
Power laces... alright.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:07 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:14 am
Star Wars is known to have an allegorical basis in the Vietnam war, satirizing imperial aspects of America. It’s much more notable with starship troopers.
Has Lucas stated that or is that just something that someone somewhere has decided?

I'm getting real sick of people attributing things to A New Hope that wasn't there. It wasn't that intelligent of a film. ''Space knights fight Space Nazis.'' It gets no more complex that that.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Fascism is Heroarchy

Yes

Also ds9 is based on Russia.
Power laces... alright.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

clearspira wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:55 pm
Has Lucas stated that or is that just something that someone somewhere has decided?

I'm getting real sick of people attributing things to A New Hope that wasn't there. It wasn't that intelligent of a film. ''Space knights fight Space Nazis.'' It gets no more complex that that.
https://youtu.be/fv9Jq_mCJEo

This is recent enough you could attribute it to George's penchant for self-revisionism of course, but he absolutely cites the Viet Cong as a specific inspiration for the Rebel Alliance.
(Parallels between Palpatine and Richard Nixon have been drawn for much longer of course)
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

"Inspired by" is not the same as "reflective" or "representative of".
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

CmdrKing wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:33 pm
clearspira wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:55 pm

https://youtu.be/fv9Jq_mCJEo

This is recent enough you could attribute it to George's penchant for self-revisionism of course, but he absolutely cites the Viet Cong as a specific inspiration for the Rebel Alliance.
(Parallels between Palpatine and Richard Nixon have been drawn for much longer of course)
In the Audio Commentaries the main historical inspiration Lucas talks about for Palpatine is Napoleon III.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:13 pm "Inspired by" is not the same as "reflective" or "representative of".
I tend to think that distinction gets fairly blurry in something like Star Wars where “a long time ago” and headline news having many similarities is in large part the biggest political statement it’s making. “Do you see this? Do you realize which side of history you’re on?”

It’s certainly not a case like Lord of the Rings where when Tolkien said he hates allegory he can cite specific things he’d have done differently if allegory was his aim.