What's the last book you've read?

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
FaxModem1
Captain

Re: What's the last book you've read?

Post by FaxModem1 »

I just finished The Stand by Stephen King. It's a good read, but I think I over thought things a bit at times, when I thought, "Hey wait a minute, shouldn't y'all be doing x, y, and z to survive, and not just resting on your laurels?"
Elderdog
Officer

Post by Elderdog »

The last books I completed where 2 WH40K books titled-
Carcharodons: Outer Dark by Robbie Macniven
Kharn: The Red Path by Chris Dows
However, I'm currently in the process of reading The Three Kingdoms Volume 1: The Sacred Oath by Luo Guanzhong.
The books I completed were just fairly straightforward war stories that didn't have much in the way of nuance but, the writing was good enough to immerse me in the universe and at times even empathize with some of the characters to a point.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Sisters of Battle Omnibus by James Swallow. It includes two Sisters of Battle novels and text version of audio drama Red & Black. I read this one to get myself even more exited about upcoming Sisters of Battle releases.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

The handbook for a 2017er Honda Civic.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Recently finished The Power by Naomi Alderman. Interesting concept, unimpressive execution. And the moral that women are just as bad as men given the opportunity is not untrue imo, but it was delivered too simplistically. Over the space of a couple of years women would get so drunk on power that we would have Saudi Arabia style countries springing up but in reverse is dubious at best. I get the revenge idea certainly, but not the way it was done here. 6/10.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Mephiston: Revenant Crusade by Darius Hinks. This is my first hardcover 40k book published by Black Library.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

The Seven Dials Mystery by Agatha Christie. I like a good whodunit, but this was mediocre by Christie's standards.

The October Country by Ray Bradbury. From this collection you can definitely see Bradbury as a precursor to Stephen King, especially in terms of theme and atmosphere. I'd say Bradbury is definitely the better prose stylist, while King's stories tend to be more exciting and engaging on a plot level.

Just starting Demons by Dostoevsky.
The owls are not what they seem.
Jclark
Redshirt

Post by Jclark »

Halo: Contact Harvest by Joseph Staten. I haven't finished reading it yet but I liked what I read thus far.
Fun fact: he was one of the writers for the first three Halo games.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

'A Study in Scarlet'. I forgot it had this whole big thing with the Mormons in it.