Problem with Kids Media

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Re: Problem with Kids Media

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:16 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:59 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:57 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:43 pm And from a Watsonian perspective, I still cannot suspend disbelief that literally everyone in the universe forgives all these transgressions.
You ever see BoJack Horseman? That's a lot of what that show is about, focusing on celebrity culture specifically. But to steal a line from the finale: "People have short memories. It's the best and worst thing about people."
Not sure how that applies to shows like MLP, where forgiveness and redemption are tossed around willy nilly, even when they shouldn't be.
That show has the same target demographic as Sesame Street and is literally titled Friendship Is Magic, what the fuck do you want?
They should show all aspects of Friendship. Sometimes, friendships end because one of them betrays the others' trust so greatly. As Discord did multiple times.

And it happens again in the new MLP movie with Capitol Rioter stand in, Sprout. The creators said G5 would be more mature and complex, which got my hopes up but they obviously lied.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:43 pm And from a Watsonian perspective, I still cannot suspend disbelief that literally everyone in the universe forgives all these transgressions.
You ever see BoJack Horseman? That's a lot of what that show is about, focusing on celebrity culture specifically. But to steal a line from the finale: "People have short memories. It's the best and worst thing about people."
Not sure how that applies to shows like MLP, where forgiveness and redemption are tossed around willy nilly, even when they shouldn't be.
That show has the same target demographic as Sesame Street and is literally titled Friendship Is Magic, what the fuck do you want?
Plus, it also has the same target demographic as The Lion Guard and Elena of Avalor.

In the Lion Guard, Janja the Hyena defects to the Pride Lander Army when Scar's Ghost pulls a Frieza and tries to exterminate his clan because he's worried they will betray him. And wile the protagonist, Kion, forgave Janja right away, Makuu the Crocodile threatened to eat Janja if the latter was trying to fool them. And he continued to suffer karmically throughout his next appearance in the show. And one of the other bad guys falls into lava, which is just barely covered up by steam.

And wile Kion also forgives Scar, only in the sense of not giving into anger and then, he summons the Lions of the Past to erase Scar's spirit from existence.

In Avalor, the main villain was ENDED by the title character personally, they didn't show anything explicit but you clearly hear the villain's death throws as she's vaporized.

A member of the normally benevolent Jaquin fantasy creature species, is found to be in league with the villain mentioned before and is imprisoned. Only after he helps save his race's home is he pardoned.

And later on, one of the supporting characters is revealed to have helped the main villain in the backstory and this lead to the murder of the title character's parents. The supporting character is disowned by his family and sentenced to exile and only is forgiven when he sacrifices his life. He is brought back but still.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:21 pm
They should show all aspects of Friendship. Sometimes, friendships end because one of them betrays the others' trust so greatly. As Discord did multiple times.

And it happens again in the new MLP movie with Capitol Rioter stand in, Sprout. The creators said G5 would be more mature and complex, which got my hopes up but they obviously lied.
Have you considered maybe watching shows you actually like?
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I don't have kids and my nieces have aged out of that demographic, I have no idea what these shows you're referencing are.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:06 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:21 pm

Have you considered maybe watching shows you actually like?
I do but A, this is still an increasingly common problem from my experience and B, I liked those shows and would like to watch the new show but this huge issue keeps me from doing so.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Fan on Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:09 pm I don't have kids and my nieces have aged out of that demographic, I have no idea what these shows you're referencing are.
ows

well, I described the important details, if those TV-Y shows can handle such heavy topics, why can't MLP?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Go watch Hellsing Ultimate or something else super murdery and re-calibrate maybe?
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:32 pm Go watch Hellsing Ultimate or something else super murdery and re-calibrate maybe?
What do you mean?

And I don't necessarily want all the wrongdoers to be killed but I just cannot believe that all of these transgressions are forgiven completely.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

And there is a new problem with the new MLP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucN5Iw07Th0

And since the new Earth pony magic will be a constant element of the series, that bad message will be reinforced in every, single, episode.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Also, in the MLP episode, "Griffon the Brush Off", they actually intended for Gilda the Griffon to be a toxic friend who is very blatantly cut out of Rainbow Dash's life and is not forgiven but later on in "The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone", Gilda is redeemed and becomes Rainbow's friend again, totally invalidating the previous episode's moral.

And other shows like Steven Universe does this too. They redeemed literal space Nazis.

There are shows that are exceptions but I don't think they are well known, even among their target demographics.