What video games are you playing?

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
TGLS
Captain

Re: What video games are you playing?

Post by TGLS »

Madner Kami wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:48 pm Oh? What moment might that have been? I mean, the game has Sierra-Deaths all over the place, but usually they are quite foreseeable, if you pay attention.
The cave in the subway tunnel with the monster inside. I don't think there was an explanation for that one and if you treat it as scenery you die quickly. I'm pretty sure the light bulb was mandatory, so at least the game doesn't become unwinnable out of nowhere. To be fair, I have a bit of a higher bullshit tolerance because I tend to go "I'm out of ideas" and pull up a walkthrough, and playing unfair games like KGB.
Madner Kami wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:48 pm P.S.: If you liked BaSS, I'd like to recommend Technobabylon and Primordia and, by extension, all the WadjetEye-games. Similar style of gameplay and Technobabylon and Primordia in particular, share a lot of the cyberpunk-thematics.

P.P.S.: I wish someone would remake the Neuromancer game...
Technobabylon pushed itself out of mind somehow (probably having no money's fault). Time for Steam sale waiting...
CmdrKing wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:54 pm Ooh, are you just doing Dual Destiny/Spirit of Justice or are you also gonna play Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright? It's probably the weakest of those three games but even so it feels weirdly underplayed, I almost never see people talk about it.
I played Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright first actually. Playing it after Investigations 2 made it look weak by comparison. The game had a difficulty problem; the puzzles were too easy, the trials had too little evidence. The story had two problems; the trailers lied (reasonable), and the story was too focused on tricking the player (the usual Layton problem). The second one is especially irksome; I'm very credulous with fiction and Level 9 just keeps hitting me with that. They seem to have recast Wright and Apollo (or there was a serious improvement in compression); this annoys me.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Yeah I played the 3DS games in NA release order and Layton vs Phoenix is definitely a step down after Dual Destinies. I’m a bit of a sucker for Maya, there’s some good music, and some of the concepts are fantastic (the third? Case jumps out at me) but it never fully comes together and the group cross examination just does not work. Or at least each example in this game is frustrating, I gather they revised it for the Great Turnabout series buuut i haven’t played any JP-only games since... localization is a big part of the series’ strength y’know?
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

Madner Kami wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:40 pm
ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:24 pmQuest for Glory series
That's kind of old school. And Sierra Adventures no less, so it's hardcore as well.
Yeah, I like all those "quest" series despite (or some of us Sierra fans might say because of) their unfairness by modern standards. Saving often and accepting possible sudden death has been ingrained since playing those games as a kid, so to me it's a basic, fun part of the experience, and I kinda miss it when modern adventures do away with death entirely. Dead ends aren't so defensible, but childhood nostalgia leads me to give them a pass anyway. Most of the Quest for Glory games are comparatively forgiving though, since there's usually three paths to solve the most important puzzles and not many serious dead ends by Sierra standards.
Madner Kami wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:48 pm P.S.: If you liked BaSS, I'd like to recommend Technobabylon and Primordia and, by extension, all the WadjetEye-games. Similar style of gameplay and Technobabylon and Primordia in particular, share a lot of the cyberpunk-thematics.
WadjetEye is great. I was surprised but delighted to see Chuck tackle Technobabylon, and I'd love to see him review another of their games at some point. Primordia is my favorite and seems like the most obvious candidate, but I could see a review of Gemini Rue or Unavowed working pretty well too.

Another very WadjetEye-esque cyberpunk/Nordic noir I've been meaning to play but just haven't gotten around to is Whispers of a Machine.
The owls are not what they seem.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:12 amWadjetEye is great. I was surprised but delighted to see Chuck tackle Technobabylon, and I'd love to see him review another of their games at some point. Primordia is my favorite and seems like the most obvious candidate, but I could see a review of Gemini Rue or Unavowed working pretty well too.

Another very WadjetEye-esque cyberpunk/Nordic noir I've been meaning to play but just haven't gotten around to is Whispers of a Machine.
Ah, Gemini Rue. The game that made me aware of and an instant fanboy of WadjetEye. They have such a good hand when it comes to overall composition and I squee'd like a little 12-years-old-fangirl when I learned that Nathan Allen Pinard would make the soundtrack to Technobabylon (he did Gemini Rue as well).

And thanks for reminding me about Whispers of a Machine. Bought it on Day 1 and then real-life happened. Btw. if you get around to playing it and like WoaM, then I suggest the studio's previous adventure, Kathy Rain. It gets a bit wonky towards the end, but it's overall a great experience as well, mostly due to a very endearing main character.

And while I am on a mental tangents trip, I'd also suggest having a look at Metaphobia: [url]https://digital-mosaic-games.itch.io/metaphobia[/url] (it's for free).
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
King Green
Officer

Post by King Green »

Trying to stream old flash games for nostalgia but twitch is an ass when they here adobe made content on their site, though I'm currently trying to fix my pc mem card so I can stream Mineblocks, basically Mincraft in 2d but made by an indy developer named zenzlanz(possibly wrong with the name but google the game its good). Do any of you have a custom 840p mem card to donate?
Do not pity a Slave for the Slave-Lord, but hear the power of what Chaos can be.
All Beings bow before the children of he who bound their flesh by their words.
Fall and wail, all flesh, bone, soul,& power is a servant to Yun-man, the First Slave-Lord.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Dragon Star Varnir on PS4. It's interesting JRPG from Idea Factory with turn based combat involving elevation since MC and his witch waifus can fly and it also has some VN game elements with player eventually having to choose which witch he or she ends up saving. While over all story and characters are full of cliches it's still good game.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Back to Arkham Origins. Same story different game.
Power laces... alright.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Subnautica again. Fourth Hardcore (one life) attempt. Three of the deaths are ways I'd managed to avoid with no hassle before...
Rasp
Officer

Post by Rasp »

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:12 am WadjetEye is great. I was surprised but delighted to see Chuck tackle Technobabylon
You're welcome.

The last thing I played was the new fire emblem... kinda burned out on it now looking for something else....
I am the one who requested Chuck review Kannazuki No Miko. (under an old alias)

I count it among the most despicable things I have ever done to another human being and I'm sorry.

Things I have requested that are not evil:
* Anna's Quest
* Contradiction
* TECHNOBABYLON
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Riedquat wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:17 am Subnautica again. Fourth Hardcore (one life) attempt. Three of the deaths are ways I'd managed to avoid with no hassle before...
Can't wait for the expansion.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox