The Left was Anti-War even during the lead up to WW2 (and the Right was not)

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Re: The Left was Anti-War even during the lead up to WW2 (and the Right was not)

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:59 pm
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:53 am I'm starting to think i erred in listing Theodore G. Bilbo as one of the exception to Sothern Democrats being pro War, I must have misread something.

I also erred in implying the Trotsykists might have been as inconsistent as the Stalinists, all three factions of American Trotskyists consistent opposed the War.
I didn’t want to come off too remedial on the uptake, but how does this impact your original sentiments?
It doesn't really, the fact that he voted for Lend Lease while also being such an open sympathizer of Domestic Nazis reinforces my point.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Re: The Left was Anti-War even during the lead up to WW2 (and the Right was not)

Fascinatingly at this time American Nazi Sympathizers couldn't help but continue to express their hatred for Pacifism as a concept even while American Pacifists have the same short goal. Elizabeth Dilling who was tried under the Smith Act for her Nazi collaborating said in her book The Red Network referred to "Radical Pacifists" as being part of the Communist Conspiracy.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

So I wanna ask... what's the point of this thread? Like, legit, what's the argument being pushed for or against, or the evidence being made?
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Nobody700 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:22 pm So I wanna ask... what's the point of this thread? Like, legit, what's the argument being pushed for or against, or the evidence being made?
I'm arguing that being a Pro-War Leftist is an Oxymoron.

The Left was ironically more divided on WWI, but the thing that happened there was a lot of the Pro-War Left went on to become the co-founders of Fascism in both Italy and France, while in Germany they took over the government then employed Fascists to massacre the real Leftists.

It also annoys me how often people treat this War as the one no one is allowed to disagree on.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:30 am
Nobody700 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:22 pm So I wanna ask... what's the point of this thread? Like, legit, what's the argument being pushed for or against, or the evidence being made?
It also annoys me how often people treat this War as the one no one is allowed to disagree on.
World War 2 or World War 1?

Ths second world war was pretty damned simple. Beat the Nazis. End of story. Beat Japan. End of story. Italy unfortunately got caught up in that BS.

WW1 is a different story altogether. The war was brewing to be sure and was bound to happen but it could have been avoided. At least more so than the second World War.
I got nothing to say here.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

McAvoy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:30 am

Ths second world war was pretty damned simple. Beat the Nazis. End of story. Beat Japan. End of story. Italy unfortunately got caught up in that BS.

WW1 is a different story altogether. The war was brewing to be sure and was bound to happen but it could have been avoided. At least more so than the second World War.
The Nazis were Europe's problem, America should have stayed out of it and certainly should have stayed out of Asia.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:49 pm

The Nazis were Europe's problem, America should have stayed out of it and certainly should have stayed out of Asia.
Thanks for confirming what I suspected.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Nobody700 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:30 pm

It's I said in the OP.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:01 pm

It's I said in the OP.
So your whole argument, rereading what you wrote, is that it's wrong for America to fight the Nazis. No matter what, it was wrong. Even though the Nazis had been sabotaging American factories and planning fake terror attacks to push pro Nazi forces to elections to take over, like they did in Germany and Austria. Or the fact they had plans to invade and take over the world, and were biding their time and building up arms and men before invasions. Got it.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Nobody700 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:23 pm
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:01 pm

It's I said in the OP.
So your whole argument, rereading what you wrote, is that it's wrong for America to fight the Nazis. No matter what, it was wrong. Even though the Nazis had been sabotaging American factories and planning fake terror attacks to push pro Nazi forces to elections to take over, like they did in Germany and Austria. Or the fact they had plans to invade and take over the world, and were biding their time and building up arms and men before invasions. Got it.
I ignore absurd Conspiracy Theories whether they come from the Left or the Right. The Nazis had no hope of pulling off any of that. And they were only trying because FDR was never actually Neutral.