Eat any good books lately Worf?

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
jstrahan
Officer

Re: Eat any good books lately Worf?

Post by jstrahan »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:Jstrahan...
Feminist friendly or not, are you really recommending the works of John "Muchly" Norman as good writing? o.0
I didn't mean to imply it was 'good writing'. It IS entertaining. I enjoyed them, anyway. (only read through volume 25)
MadAmosMalone
Officer

Post by MadAmosMalone »

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote:I'm about halfway through an audiobook of The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Heinlein is the one premier classic sci-fi author that I haven't gotten into... and I'm still not into him, I'm afraid. The revolution that takes place in the book has been told (so far) in a dry, impersonal way. There's a lot of Heinlein's philosophizing on politics and society, but I don't find the philosophizing insightful enough to excuse the lack of tension.
Been getting more into audiobooks lately. Much easier than the eye strain of the traditional way. Reading an older book, Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. I'll try to finish the series (Blue and Green) but, right now, I've got much the same thing going on that you do with the Heinlein book. That being that there's a revolution going on and the author feels it's a good time to pontificate at some considerable length his own political leanings.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

I needed a break after the Unholy Consult, so I'm currently reading Twelve Kings in Sharakhai.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Finished Poor Man's Fight by Elliot Kay in a snap of two days, started on Rich Man's War and I'm enjoying the series to a good degree. Good setting (Human interstellar governments under a loose Union with several mega corporations) and the how debt drives everything.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I read a Voyager book called "The Garden" recently. It actually might have made an above average episode, mostly thanks to the alien planet they came across in this week's convenient crisis, Neelix's advice actually being useful, and some of the characterization of the crew members and the alien(s). Basically the premise is that Voyager comes across some actual good food, and the meals Neelix is making out of it actually tastes good, which is naturally why it almost kills the crew. :lol: Apparently they are all getting scurvy and might actually die from it, because not only does their food lack vitamin C, but it prevents their bodies from absorbing it, so the Doctor can't just fix it with supplements and injections. Fortunately, one of those stories Neelix remembers from his travels includes one about a planet with aliens who are obsessed with growing, to the point that they won't break up any of their planet to mine ores, and will therefore trade food for scrap metal. And fortunately it's close enough for them to reach before all the humans on board die of scurvy.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

I'm about three quarters of the way through Temeraire: Victory of Eagles now.

A much better book than Empire of Ivory, which felt like Naomi Novik had an African holiday and wanted write about that instead of a book in which Dragons exist in the Napoleonic war.

With the war at home in the British Isles the alternate history has well and truly forked from our reality. The battle to save England from the French tyrant and Lien, the embittered Chinese dragon with a grudge against our heroes. Combined they have Napoleon's keen military insight with China's advanced dragon craft.

Logistics and strategy are tied up with a civil rights movement for dragons, accepting their rights as sentient beings as Temeraire on his own initiative creates his a militia and is granted a commission in return.

Very good read so far.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Listening to 'It Can't Happen Here' on Audible. It's the weirdest experience to have a book that warns about discrimination and the rise of fascism, while also portraying every homosexual as a monster waiting to do violent harm on good Americans.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I've started the sequel to April Daniels' Dreadnought. It is sooo good and I keep having to pause it to process the feels! *pterodactyl noises*
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
yamiangie
Redshirt

Post by yamiangie »

Just finished Reading the first Baccano novel Rolling Bootleggers, have to say fun book. I look forward to moving on the Grand Punk Railroad: local.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

jstrahan wrote:Anything in the Gor series, by John Norman, is good. Tarnsman of Gor is the first in the series. ...ummm...some feminists may not like it. :)
Someone on Spacebattles began a Let's Read of the series last year, and quite frankly, even without the misogynist sex-slave bullshit, the books.... well, I know this can be subjective, but let's just say the excerpts defy your claim here.

As for me, I just completed Simon R. Green's lastest "Secret Histories" book, "Moonbreaker". The next (and possibly last) book in the Eddie Drood series is "Night Fall" and will be a crossover with the Nightside series and its characters, with Nightside lead protagonist John Taylor actually joining Eddie Drood in terms of top billing. I am eagerly awaiting it since Green's works are very fun, in general.

Tonight I'll start J.A. Jance's latest book, "Proof of Life", her latest Seattle-based mystery-thriller with J.P. Beaumont (her longest running character, she's been writing him for nearly 30 years now).

Also slowly working my way through Paul Kennedy's "The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers", but books I have checked out from a library take precedence over books I own.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!