Bad 21st century movies you want to be rewritten.

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
King Green
Officer

Bad 21st century movies you want to be rewritten.

Post by King Green »

I just finished watching SYFY's channels shark movies and lava-lantualas and dear god, the plot is greasy and terrible! How can an amazing cgi company waste so much effort on great concepts but turn them into burning poos of plot.

I apologize if any of you can't recognize the films but that channel got one of the worst cgi films in box-office, Geostorm. Made with roughly 340 million bucks but only barely made 261 million dollars in shit-bags due to it amazing and dick-slapping ass-pulls of miracles. Now it became a brief meme on the web for 2 to 2.8 years for movie directors on how to NOT use cgi movies as a single concept to explore more opportunity's to the audience that ideas are cheap and more manipulative as we understand more of the movie industry.
Do not pity a Slave for the Slave-Lord, but hear the power of what Chaos can be.
All Beings bow before the children of he who bound their flesh by their words.
Fall and wail, all flesh, bone, soul,& power is a servant to Yun-man, the First Slave-Lord.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Bad 21st century movies you want to be rewritten.

Post by clearspira »

So many YA films during that bubble around 2010 has great potential but hammered by the demographic formulaic nature that they were aiming for. The 5th Wave with Chloe Moretz stands out in my memory as something that could have been cool but came to the party WAY TOO LATE. But even Divergent and Maze Runner could have been something, the first films in the series being kind of original, but both became generic as hell with the sequels.

Another YA movie, though a lot later, that fell on its ass was A Wrinkle In Time. I think most people when they saw Super Saiyan Oprah in the trailer were not hoping for much, but I was not prepared for just how painful that film was going to be.
Kinky Vorlon
Officer

Post by Kinky Vorlon »

All of them. It seems every movie released suffers from generic, formulaic, cookie-cutter approach to film making. Stories are always the same. There are no risks taken. No innovations made. Hollywood needs to invest in mid-budget movies instead of putting all their eggs in these mega franchise movies that play it safe. They need to let writers actually write and directors actually direct. Hollywood needs to learn from the 70s, the greatest decade of american filmmaking.
The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away moment by moment lost in that vast, terrible in-between.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

The Matrix
..What mirror universe?
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

"Prometheus" is an absolute mess.
A plot that is propelled by characters making an endless parade of decisions that are so obviously incorrect that it is sickens me. A mythology so jumbled, nonsensical, and self important as to be a parody of itself. The complete waste of talent for all involved.
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:27 pm The Matrix
I am guessing you mean the sequels?
As the first one came out in 1999.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Star Trek 2009 and onwards. Star Wars 7 and onwards. Literally every Terminator-movie that is not Terminator 1 or Terminator 2.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:30 pm As the first one came out in 1999.
FINE
Madner Kami wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:46 pm Star Trek 2009 and onwards.
'09 was written fine really in terms of plot structure and rebooting.
..What mirror universe?
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

Good concepts ruined by bad plot/execution?

Prometheus would be a top choice for me. When it came out some fans swore that it was a brilliant film with layers of depth and meaning. It does feel like they were halfway to something profound and then just bungled it on a bunch of levels. I still wouldn't call Prometheus horrible, but if you combined better writing with the movie's strong performances and cinematography it could have been a real classic.

Otherwise, I feel like 21st century sci-fi generally has the opposite problem. Older sci-fi films were filled with awesome concepts and creativity, but they lacked the technical tools, expertise, and budget to execute them properly. While there are certainly still badly made movies, the bigger problem is that these movies are starting in the wrong conceptual space. The space of reboots and rehashes and cashing in off nostalgia at the expense of trying something, anything, different.

JJ-Trek is a prime example (so is the sequel trilogy). Trek '09 is full of blatantly dumb ideas that are mostly executed really well. So a person's tolerance for Trek '09 ends up depending on just how willing they are to just "go along for the ride." Terminator is similar in that it reached a natural narrative endpoint and turned it into a dead-end as they keep trying to force a story out of the same decades-old embers. The surprising thing would be if one of those actually turned out good.

That's the most frustrating part, to see so many franchises so predictably squander so much talent and so many resources on mediocre, derivative stories.
The owls are not what they seem.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Writing is the one artistic skill I wish I had talent at. I really doubt I have the skill to most films from scratch and have them end up better. As much as I wish they'd gone in a different direction for, say, the Disney sequel trilogy, if I actually had to churn out a decent script from my little ol' brain, odds are I might just try, repeatedly fail and know it, get drunk, and write in that all the characters just sit around making fart noises.

And that would really only be a significant improvement for Star Trek Into Darkness.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:29 amJJ-Trek is a prime example (so is the sequel trilogy). Trek '09 is full of blatantly dumb ideas that are mostly executed really well. So a person's tolerance for Trek '09 ends up depending on just how willing they are to just "go along for the ride." Terminator is similar in that it reached a natural narrative endpoint and turned it into a dead-end as they keep trying to force a story out of the same decades-old embers. The surprising thing would be if one of those actually turned out good.
Is this based on the idea that potent allegory and themes of aging are requisite to Star Trek not being considered a shitty escapist piece?

Personally I'm starting to get frustrated with Abrams Star Wars, but Trek '09 so far is still just a refreshingly effective piece for universe building. Not every movie is good at that.

And sorry if it comes of as a strong statement there, I'm really more interested in your take, and also just finding myself frustrated by the subject.
..What mirror universe?