Actually not all Evolutionists agree on there being no set path.

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Actually not all Evolutionists agree on there being no set path.

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

I know one of Chuck's Pet Peeves is when a SciFi story acts like Evolution is somehow predestined and he seems to think that is infect fundamentally in conflict with the actual Science. But the truth is there are Evolutionists he feel Evolution isn't random at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sPBF1o4a4U

youtu.be/sPBF1o4a4U
GreyICE
Captain

Re: Actually not all Evolutionists agree on there being no set path.

Post by GreyICE »

"Evolutionists"

So evolutionary biologists then. Evolution is a key part of biology from the high school level on up.

Also your stupid video is dead.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

The top link works but the bottom link doesn't
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

And so it does. Oh boy. You know it's good when you start "does evolution have to divide from religion". Uh, no. Every major world religion accepts evolution. The holdouts are a few extremist Muslims/Christians who demand Koran/Bible literalism, and some HIndus who try to fit everything into their cyclical creation. Oh, and some radical communists who think evolution is a capitalist theory.

That's basically it. We can summarize them all as "kooks".
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

I think you're mischaracterizing Chuck's point a bit. Evolution is a mechanism(s). The question of meaning/purpose is metaphysical/philosophical, not scientific. So saying that science/evolution has a plan- which is what I recall Chuck complaining about in reviewing various Star Trek episodes- is nonsensical no matter what your philosophical opinions might be.
The owls are not what they seem.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

I have litterally never seen the word 'evolutionist' used by anyone who had even a vague understanding of the theory of evolution.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

I see ya'll getting caught on the opening.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Summarise then, rather than stick up a video that'll make most people turn it off after a minute.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:50 am I see ya'll getting caught on the opening.
Well yes, when someone opens with an idea that's completely counterfactual it's very hard to move past that.

For instance if a video opens "back when humans rode dinosaurs" most people are not going to get to minute twenty, if you see my point.

MithrandirOlorin
Captain

The opening acknowledges the existence of YECs but is in fact agaisnt them, that's what every responder doesn't seem to get.