What's the weirdest reason you've been banned from somewhere?

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Arkle
Officer

What's the weirdest reason you've been banned from somewhere?

Post by Arkle »

My story involves the forums for a celebrity picture site. Yeah, yeah, I know, but I know better than to download stolen pictures. Just movie premieres and magazine shoots for me. Anyway, about 7 or 8 years ago, an associate of mine was launching a novel based on his podcast, and he put out a call for his fans to promote it where they could to give the Day 1 sales on Amazon a boost. Those of you who remember the glory days of podcast novelists know the kind of push I'm talking about.

So, this celeb picture site had an Off-Topic section. So, I made a post for the book (ICYWW it was for the print release of Book One of the 7th Son Trilogy by J.C. Hutchins) there. Simple enough, Except the image I used for the book cover came from a site that the forum didn't like, and one of the mods told me so. Okay, simple enough. So I fixed the link. Now, keep in mind, the images I was using came directly from the author, who gave his fans blanket permission to use the images from his site. I made that clear in my post, because of the Forum's rules regarding links to images.

Guess what I got banned for anyway?

I imagine I felt not that different from how YouTubers who get hit with a copyright strike over public domain music feel.

Edit: Corrected some spelling errors in the post and in the thread title.
Incorrect Voyager Quotes: http://incorrectvoyagerquotes.tumblr.com/
My Voyager fic, A Fire of Devotion: http://archiveofourown.org/series/404320
---
yamiangie
Redshirt

Re: What's the weirdest reason you've been banned from somewhere?

Post by yamiangie »

Back when I was in the Yugioh the Abridged series fandom was mistaken for a spammer in the chat room once. I had answered yes to the mod/host getting my attention but he was a fast ertyping so he'd asked me a second question so it looked like I answered yes to being the troll. I was very confused and had snuck back in since I at school so I just had to defeat the browser history go get back in on. A friend stuck up for me and the mod dug into the ip addresses and realized I wasn't even in the same state. I think they blocked the IP addresses of the northern part of a state after that in the chat room notes after that. Sort of sucks when the mod can't tell a quite regular from a spammer because you have a stupid fandom name. Mind you the guy could get annoyed easy, he almost kicked all off his server over that first April fools joke.
Robovski
Captain

Re: What's the weirdest reason you've been banned from somewhere?

Post by Robovski »

I was fired from a job I had at a newsstand after I came by with the black woman I was on a date with. The very next day. Never been banned from a forum.