Self Promotion...is this OK?

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
TV-366
Redshirt

Self Promotion...is this OK?

Post by TV-366 »

Hello, everyone!

I've been a fan of SFDebris for quite a while, but I'm generally more of a lurker than an active participant, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to join this forum once I realized it existed. Then this project of mine came along...

I got it into my head earlier this year to do a project where I watch one episode of a TV show (that I've already seen) every day for a year (or a year and a day, hence the name TV-366) and write a little review of it, both as an episode and how it relates to the main body of work. I decided to start with a show that's influenced my writing and is one of my all time favorites; Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I've even name-dropped SFDebris a few times. I've just started the Sixth Season, and given that SFDebris appears to be doing the final arc of the show (though I'm currently holding off on watching them and his other DS9 reviews so I can form my own opinions), it seemed like now was as good a time as any to share it with my fellow Star Trek and SFDebris fans.

That being said, I don't want to just come in here and constantly pimp out my reviews if it would annoy people. So I figured I'd just come straight out and ask all you lovely people the following; Would all of you be all right with me starting a thread about it and posting a link to my new review every day, or would that be seen as too much? If so, how would you prefer me to go about things, if you even want me to do it at all? I completely understand how annoying self-promotion can be, so I want to minimize any frustration.

Thanks a lot for your feedback! I hope to stick around here for a little while no matter what; SFDebris is always good for entertainment, so actually talking about his reviews with other people could be fun.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Re: Self Promotion...is this OK?

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

I have been posting in regards to my own blog since the old boards. Though the old boards had a place for user created content.
I still post them on here, on one thread, and I make an effort not to post too often (I have posted more often this month as part of a 30-day writing challenge).
I am sure dropping a link once or twice a week to a single thread will not be an issue.
I mostly follow the "active topics" link at the top and imagine most do, so it will be seen. I don't think you should expect much feedback though, I never get any comments and have picked up nearly zero twitter followers in the months I have been doing it.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
TV-366
Redshirt

Re: Self Promotion...is this OK?

Post by TV-366 »

Rocketboy1313 wrote:I have been posting in regards to my own blog since the old boards. Though the old boards had a place for user created content.
I still post them on here, on one thread, and I make an effort not to post too often (I have posted more often this month as part of a 30-day writing challenge).
I am sure dropping a link once or twice a week to a single thread will not be an issue.
I mostly follow the "active topics" link at the top and imagine most do, so it will be seen. I don't think you should expect much feedback though, I never get any comments and have picked up nearly zero twitter followers in the months I have been doing it.
Yeah, when I saw you and MithrandirOlorin linking to your own content, I knew it was probably ok to do (and then created a new thread). I appreciate getting some official feedback, though!

And I don't mind the lack of feedback. I just figured, since SFDebris was somewhat tied into my blog, it made sense to bring it up on his forum.

Thanks for the response!