Voy - Renaissance Man

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Enterprising
Officer

Re: Voy - Renaissance Man

Post by Enterprising »

CrypticMirror wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:48 pm
Muzer wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:01 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:49 pm I mean unless every square inch is a city on that island there got to be some ecosystem.
Quite, though most of England and Northern Ireland, and much of Wales, is of course farmland, which (as I'm pretty sure sfdebris points out in one of his reviews — maybe Insurrection or possibly DS9's Paradise?) is very much not a natural ecosystem. It's only Scotland that has a majority of natural ecosystem, because of its large areas of wilderness especially in the highlands.

Grouse moors, which make up the majority of the highlands, are not natural ecosystems. They are, if anything, even more intensively managed than actual farmland. But for historical-political reasons are not recorded as such.
I'm not seeing the link from UK land use to the Voyager episode Renaissance Man?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Enterprising wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:31 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:49 pm I mean unless every square inch is a city on that island there got to be some ecosystem.
Quite, though most of England and Northern Ireland, and much of Wales, is of course farmland, which (as I'm pretty sure sfdebris points out in one of his reviews — maybe Insurrection or possibly DS9's Paradise?) is very much not a natural ecosystem. It's only Scotland that has a majority of natural ecosystem, because of its large areas of wilderness especially in the highlands.

Grouse moors, which make up the majority of the highlands, are not natural ecosystems. They are, if anything, even more intensively managed than actual farmland. But for historical-political reasons are not recorded as such.
I'm not seeing the link from UK land use to the Voyager episode Renaissance Man?
Well somebody brought up NIMBYism for some reason, and that led to talking about reintroducing wolves into the UK, and thereby led to land use in Britain.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Enterprising wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:31 pm

I will forever maintain that the reason why Chuck's forums are so great is because he allows us to go off-topic for a bit as long as we don't take the piss. There are two reasons why forums are a dying breed: 1) Social media now basically does the same thing and 2) militant, agenda-driven mods.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

"Is Wario a Libertarian"-the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after12,239 pages of heated debate,
-Wint @dril
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Wolf359
Redshirt

Post by Wolf359 »

What was that thing near the ceiling in sickbay that Tuvok shot? The holoemitters? I always thought the holoemitters were those black strips on the walls? I bet the thing he shot wasn’t there for the previous 170-something episodes though!
Mindworm
Officer

Post by Mindworm »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:18 pm I have an issue with the, "Voyager can survive without a warp core, but needs a captain".

What Janeway should have said is, "WE'RE IN A NAVY! Chakotay would be the Captain. That is how command structure works. What kind of a stupid thing is it to sacrifice immeasurably important resources to save a single person?! IDIOT!"

Also, this gets to be my thousandth comment on the board. What a milestone.
Problem A) it's Janeway, no way she's giving up the cushy chair, even from her cold dead hands, B) it's Chocolate-Day in the no 2 spot. You couldn't see him command a tunnel of love boat, never mind an actual spaceship.
Soulless minion of orthodoxy.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:18 pm I have an issue with the, "Voyager can survive without a warp core, but needs a captain".

What Janeway should have said is, "WE'RE IN A NAVY! Chakotay would be the Captain. That is how command structure works. What kind of a stupid thing is it to sacrifice immeasurably important resources to save a single person?! IDIOT!"

Yes because when a star fleet vessel returns after years captain by a known terrorist that wouldn't cause any problems.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:43 am

Yes because when a star fleet vessel returns after years captain by a known terrorist that wouldn't cause any problems.
Well Tuvok would be there to explain things.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Enterprising
Officer

Post by Enterprising »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:43 am Yes because when a star fleet vessel returns after years captain by a known terrorist that wouldn't cause any problems.
The monthly Starfleet datastream to Voyager says hello.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:43 am

They were in contact with Earth at this point and much of the circumstances of the situation had been explained.

Also, terrorist? At this point I am betting everyone in the Federation has taken a fresh assessment of the Maquis.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13