Star Trek (DS9): The Sound of Her Voice

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yaku
Redshirt

Re: Star Trek (DS9): The Sound of Her Voice

Post by Yaku »

bronnt wrote:I liked this episode the first time I saw it, but the last time I watched it, I got really irritated by something. It was so obvious to me that it became grating more and more throughout the episode: Captain Cusak is very much a Mary Sue.

I mean, think about it. She's this great and awesome person, everyone likes her, and she makes everyone's lives better just by talking to them. Even though they never meet her in person they all talk about how great and amazing a person she is.......
Sounds just like me, so she is an obvious Me-Insert ;). Haha, just kidding - there really are no flaws shown to us, that makes the character a bit boring, and hard to empathize with her. Still was surprised by the death-scene, but didn't really feel anything from it. Despite it being a nice break from the Dominion War, one of the weakest Main Plots of the sixth Season.

However, the B Plot was really awesome. More Airtime for Jake, he really works well with Quark. This should have been the mainplot ;).
Gul Dukat: War is such thirsty work. Don't you agree?
Weyoun: Perhaps if you didn't talk so much, your throat wouldn't get so dry.
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

CareerKnight wrote:Why? Why would they bother to look up the ship? What information would it give them that would be helpful in this situation and what reason would they have to do it in the first place unless they think she is lying?
The Captain's medical history for one, and just updating their database on the Olympia's disposition. I would think checking any records available for a downed ship would be a standard procedure in this situation. especially since they had a fairly long travel time to reach her and were not dealing with other crises that had their attention..
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

SuccubusYuri wrote:I mean that explains why she's dealing with Sisko as the first Starfleet captain she's met in years.

"Well there's a war with the Dominion now."
"Wow that sounds terrible."
"It's really the Cardassians fault."
"I thought we fixed that with the peace treaty before we left?"
"Yeah about that..."
"Well as long Federation citizens are free from terror it's all worth it."
"Let me tell you about the Borg..."
"Jesus tap dancing CHRIST Ben, why would you tell me about that?"
"Real life came knocking. He rang and ran. I'm still here."
Did I mention an Admiral tried to stage a coup at Starfleet HQ so he can turn the Federation into a military dictatorship?

There's also the Maquis

Who?

Oh, they're former Federation colonists fighting the Cardassians in a guerrilla war.

Former?

They felt we abandoned them to the Cardassians when we signed the treaty and now they got Starfleet officers in their ranks waging a violent war.
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
CareerKnight
Officer

Post by CareerKnight »

Mickey_Rat15 wrote:The Captain's medical history for one,
You don't need to look up a ship just to get one persons medical records.
and just updating their database on the Olympia's disposition. I would think checking any records available for a downed ship would be a standard procedure in this situation.
I doubt individual ships have the authority to update a ship as destroyed, they probably just send the report to Star Fleet and they handle it. Not to mention there is no real benefit on looking up what the ship was carrying or general info on it. She's not inside it, any still useful/reachable supplies that she could have grabbed she would have, and she would know what the ship had/still had after its long voyage. Not to mention that none of this stuff would raise a red flag that she is already dead. That would require one of them mentioning the date and that's not going to come up randomly in casual conversation (though you could argue with how weird the Star Trek universe, checking for time travelers should be standard procedure).
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

CareerKnight wrote:
excalibur wrote:The plot hole for me was, why didn't the DS9 crew search the crashed ship's name in their database?
Why? Why would they bother to look up the ship? What information would it give them that would be helpful in this situation and what reason would they have to do it in the first place unless they think she is lying?
To make sure it's not a fake transmission used as a Dominion trap?
Wolf359
Redshirt

Post by Wolf359 »

Madner Kami wrote:
Wolf359 wrote:Pretty sure Lisa's ship was the USS Olympia, not Olympian. Maybe it was Olympic-class as well?
Nope. A part of the wreck is seen, as far as I am aware, showing a large saucer-section, which rules out the Olympic's sphere-design. Further investigation reveals, that they reused the model of the wrecked Enterprise from "Search for Spock", technically leaving the USS Olympia as a Constitution II-class.
Yeh agree it won't be Olympic-class, be kinda confusing. Plus we don't know if the Olympic-class really actually exists outside of Q's anti-time future, Encyclopedia entries notwithstanding.

Nice they used the Enterprise, but would a Constiutition-class, which would be on the order of 120 years old by the time of Olympia's departure, really be up to an 8 year long range voyage? The original Enterprise only did 5 year missions after all.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Wolf359 wrote: Nice they used the Enterprise, but would a Constiutition-class, which would be on the order of 120 years old by the time of Olympia's departure, really be up to an 8 year long range voyage? The original Enterprise only did 5 year missions after all.
Possibly, but it's worth remembering that the Excellcior-class was almost as old and was still ubiquitous throughout the TNG-era. And that's assuming they were old ships still in service rather than newer ones that just used an older design that had been refitted with newer tech. I imagine the reason for the Enterprise being mothballed was more to do with it being easier and more cost-effective than bringing it up to spec (especially with the battle damage which would require even more work), which is something that would be supported by the Ent-A being the same class (whether it was a newly built ship or the existing Yorktown being renamed) rather than being an Excellcior or other newer class.

It probably also worth mentioning that the original plan for the Stargazer was for it to be a Constitution-class, and I believe they even filmed the episode calling it that and had to redub it after deciding to use a different model (which is why it was redesignated the similar-sounding Constellation-class).
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

I tend to assume that the reason there are still so many excelsiors flying around in TNG is because the effects team inherited some really nice cinema-quality models from the movies.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

That's a good Doylist explanation, but it doesn't provide a Watsonian explanation. My best guess is that the Federation began expanding quickly, but the military budget didn't grow with it, so Starfleet refit the Excelsiors to pick up the slack.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

CareerKnight wrote: (though you could argue with how weird the Star Trek universe, checking for time travelers should be standard procedure).

You could also argue that, as standard procedure, if on a shuttle, someone is beaming down to a planet, someone should always stay on the shuttle in case something goes wrong with communications to the ship. And that large objects in the cargo bay should be restrained so Worf doesn't get his spine broken. And that chairs should have seat belts for when the ship gets knocked around so crew don't get tossed across the bridge. And that they should really do something to keep consoles from exploding so regularly. And that safety locks should have manual options on *both* sides of the door. And so on.

There's a lot of common sense things that get skipped for the sake of drama.