TNG - Reunion

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Zatman
Officer

Re: TNG - Reunion

Post by Zatman »

Technically, Picard didn't know the super soldiers were going to kill them. Maybe just hold them hostage, force the government to listen.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Right. The point there was that all they had to do was say "Alright, you win; we'll listen and treat you like people" and no blood would be shed. Iffy objectively, but in the context of the episode, Picard was done. ;)

CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:17 pm For all his other insecurities, Gowron did like a good fight.
Yeah, Gowron was sometimes stupid, but he was direct about it unlike Duras who thought he was the clever boy in the room but was everyone's patsy.
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

Wargriffin wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:40 pm Look I get Picard don't like the idea that Worf ran off and killed a guy that's between you and your stance of killing someone...Didn't Picard basically leave a room full of people begging for help back in the Hunted knowing full well that the super soldiers were gonna basically Slaughter them? Or does that not count cause the bloods not directly on his hands or he can't shuck responsibility.

DAMMIT WORF IF YOUR GONNA KILL SOMEONE ALWAYS RETAIN PLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY. NOW THEY CAN TRACE THIS BACK TO ME
I think Picard's main issue is that one of his crew went off on their own and murdered a high ranking member of a government. Which is a legit issue to have with one's crew, even if Worf is in the clear by Klingon law.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Ghilz wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:42 pm I think Picard's main issue is that one of his crew went off on their own and murdered a high ranking member of a government. Which is a legit issue to have with one's crew, even if Worf is in the clear by Klingon law.
Right. The "I didn't do it, it was one of my top officers without my permission or consent!" is not only not a good excuse for breaking Federation law, but it makes you a pretty bad commander as well. It's a losing situation all around.

This is why Tilly plan with Detmer's stunt against Osyraa over Kwejian doesn't really hold up, and unlike with Worf there weren't any real consequences. You can't just order someone to act "against orders" any time you need them to do something off-the-book and then pretend you still have a book.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

At this point if course we should remember that Jadzia once teamed up with Kang and Koloth to seek revenge. All she got was a headshake.

But that is Starfleet for you. Kirk can sleep with the universe, Kim gets a reprimand for a single nights fun. Ro gets her earring taken away because of the uniform code, Worf keeps his bandolier. It really seems as if laws and rules in this universe only exist by the captain's whim.
Marveryn
Officer

Post by Marveryn »

clearspira wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:03 pm At this point if course we should remember that Jadzia once teamed up with Kang and Koloth to seek revenge. All she got was a headshake.

But that is Starfleet for you. Kirk can sleep with the universe, Kim gets a reprimand for a single nights fun. Ro gets her earring taken away because of the uniform code, Worf keeps his bandolier. It really seems as if laws and rules in this universe only exist by the captain's whim.
That would had been true if they didn't have instant communication. In the days of sailing ships when it would had been months even years when a nation navel capt would speak to the government (which was why log was so important) A captain whim was everything. they were the law with the government blessing. Only once they reach port and they was an investigation afterward did the capt may receive reprimand. I think that how Gene started out star trek but the tech got to advance so they could light years form earth and still have earth calling to tell them stuff.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Zatman wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:10 pm Technically, Picard didn't know the super soldiers were going to kill them. Maybe just hold them hostage, force the government to listen.

Their intentions were obvious. but even if you want to argue it wasn't a clear Those men were dead the moment Picard beams away.

Picard clearly leaves them to their fate out of Moral disgust and even says He hopes whatever government comes out of the revolution will be able to join the Federation later. He abandons a prospective Federation member on a Personal whim
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Deledrius wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:28 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:17 pm For all his other insecurities, Gowron did like a good fight.
Yeah, Gowron was sometimes stupid, but he was direct about it unlike Duras who thought he was the clever boy in the room but was everyone's patsy.
And it remains part of Gowron's character all the way to DS9 too, with his reaction in The House of Quark completely consistent with how little patience he has for these sort of tawdry schemes. You do it direct, or you don't do it at all. It is tied into his fall at the end, because Gowron only became untenable as Chancellor when he gave in to his insecurity over Martok and kinda did do that sort of scheming to try and get Martok killed on the front lines instead of just having it out with him. It was his tragic flaw, that he became what he hated and faced the same fate.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Very true. It's the sort of thing that loses you the support of others, like Worf, and that's deadly during a war.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

I think even at the end the episode is written with the idea that Duras is the guilty party and the characters figure it out cause Picard asks Worf that now they have exposed Duras treachery if the council will lift his dishonor.

but earlier in the episode Picard stated you can't blame Duras for his Father's crimes only his own crimes... , The cover up is for Duras' Father not himself.

unless you proved the link between the Romulans and Duras now and He poisoned the Chancellor then Picard would have something that shows Duras himself

then again Duras is a dumbass with how much he pretty much acts like he is the guilty party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txAf2OjD3f4

like they both object but once the whole Worf is my security chief thing is presented Gowron pretty much answers worf's question without much hassle while Duras pretty much has I"M GUILTY AS SIN TATTOOED ON HIS FOREHEAD and Keeps trying to just dismiss Worf.
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."