DS9: Duet

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
drewder
Officer

DS9: Duet

Post by drewder »

So I've been going through the DS9 reviews and watched duet. It's interesting to me that the character of Kira was originally supposed to be ensign Ro but I think it being an original character served the series much better. When bajor was in trouble Ro famously abandoned it while Kira stayed and fought. It gives her much more moral authority in a situation like this in that Kira was probably involved directly in the liberation of these labor or death camps and in helping the survivors. Which makes these events far less academic to her than a person who only viewed them from afar.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: DS9: Duet

Post by McAvoy »

drewder wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:44 pm So I've been going through the DS9 reviews and watched duet. It's interesting to me that the character of Kira was originally supposed to be ensign Ro but I think it being an original character served the series much better. When bajor was in trouble Ro famously abandoned it while Kira stayed and fought. It gives her much more moral authority in a situation like this in that Kira was probably involved directly in the liberation of these labor or death camps and in helping the survivors. Which makes these events far less academic to her than a person who only viewed them from afar.
I think they would have changed the scripts to reflect Ro Laren being there instead of Kira. So instead of Kira being able to do things through her contacts on Bajor, Ro Laren would struggle far more. She would be viewed as a deserter.

I am absolutely 100% fine with having Kira instead of Ro Laren. Though with Ro Laren we would have a slightly different series instead and it would make it interesting
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Ensign Ro and Kira are oddly reversals of each other in a lot of ways.

Much of the series would be different because Ensign Ro is both a person who fled Bajor, trusted the Federation, and was also an atheist.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:19 pm Ensign Ro and Kira are oddly reversals of each other in a lot of ways.

Much of the series would be different because Ensign Ro is both a person who fled Bajor, trusted the Federation, and was also an atheist.
She was also far more head strong than Kira was. I did forgot about her beliefs. That would have made things interesting, since the wormhole effectively reinforces Bajor's belief system. Whether they view them as simply wormhole aliens or not.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I'm glad we got Kira for this one because, otherwise, we wouldn't have had the beautiful line "You have no idea what it's like to be a coward".
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

McAvoy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:52 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:19 pm Ensign Ro and Kira are oddly reversals of each other in a lot of ways.

She was also far more head strong than Kira was. I did forgot about her beliefs. That would have made things interesting, since the wormhole effectively reinforces Bajor's belief system. Whether they view them as simply wormhole aliens or not.
Really? I thought Kira could be really damn stubborn. Though I suppose her religiousness did have her deferring to a 'higher authority' more often, especially since Sisko himself became part of it.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Sir Will wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:45 pm

Really? I thought Kira could be really damn stubborn. Though I suppose her religiousness did have her deferring to a 'higher authority' more often, especially since Sisko himself became part of it.
Early seasons Kira was stubborn, sometimes. Later on she softened.

Ro Lauren was stubborn 24/7.
Marveryn
Officer

Post by Marveryn »

McAvoy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:29 pm

Its too bad they never got Ro to show up at some point during the series. Maybe not like worf where he join the cast but more like riker who show up for an episode just to give a reflection of the two
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Marveryn wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:43 am
McAvoy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:29 pm

Its too bad they never got Ro to show up at some point during the series. Maybe not like worf where he join the cast but more like riker who show up for an episode just to give a reflection of the two
I do wonder if brining Michelle Forbes was ever considered in the show. Especially in Maquis episodes.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

If it were up to me, I'd have had her as part of the maquis crew on Voyager.