TNG: Peak Performance

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: TNG: Peak Performance

Post by Deledrius »

I could see Kolrami trying to interject some unexpected element into the exercise and being outmaneuvered by the Ferengi who irrationally act outside of their usual profit-driven motives; his plan backfires when the Ferengi don't stick to it and seize on an opportunity he didn't predict. It would have been a bit more thematically coherent.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

some times i wish we could redo episodes like this and fix all the problems they have. then again thats hindsight for you. either way i do wish that a lot of the mistakes of early trek could be fixed. i loved star trek but as ive gotten older ive realized the first 2 seasons had a lot of bad episodes --some good ones but it was the 3rd season were it got really good though even then it could have used some help
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

It's funny, as I've aged I've come around to be less harsh on a lot of the early episodes that I used to hold in lower regard. Not all, but some.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

As I have aged (shit, we sound like a bunch of senior citizens sitting on a bench here) I have realised that Trek actually had very few truly bad episodes. What we had was wasted potential. A better writer, a better season, a better script. That is all it would have taken to elevate a lot of the sub-5 episodes. Even PIC, as awful as that is, has a concept with potential.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:18 pm What we had was wasted potential. A better writer, a better season, a better script. That is all it would have taken to elevate a lot of the sub-5 episodes. Even PIC, as awful as that is, has a concept with potential.
Yeah, well, ideas are a dime a dozen, execution is everything.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

chaos42 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:25 pm some times i wish we could redo episodes like this and fix all the problems they have. then again thats hindsight for you. either way i do wish that a lot of the mistakes of early trek could be fixed. i loved star trek but as ive gotten older ive realized the first 2 seasons had a lot of bad episodes --some good ones but it was the 3rd season were it got really good though even then it could have used some help
The first two seasons were seriously handicapped between Gene and Hurley.

This episode was just as constrained though Hurley was the one that from what I understand began the what we know of as the Borg.

Nowadays, the early TNG is basically in many head cannon as when the Federation got too complacent. It took Wolf 359 to wake them up.
I got nothing to say here.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

wolf 359 is like the pearl harbor of star trek
still the episodes could have used some work plus i do wish they could have had the same sub plots and development that ds9 got
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

chaos42 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:01 am wolf 359 is like the pearl harbor of star trek
still the episodes could have used some work plus i do wish they could have had the same sub plots and development that ds9 got
TNG wasn't setup for what DS9 had during its run. Sure, they did have Barkley, that smug blonde Admiral, O'Brien (later on), Romulan G'Kar, Guinan...
I got nothing to say here.
Reality
Officer

Post by Reality »

chaos42 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:01 am wolf 359 is like the pearl harbor of star trek
I think it's more like their 9/11 honestly.

Beforehand, the Federation was peaceful and naive, afterwards they became more militant.
Media has a Left-Wing bias
Reality has a Right-Wing one
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I think the economic oil crisis of the 70's was the basis for Wolf 359
Power laces... alright.