Enterprise: Desert Crossing

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Beastro
Captain

Re: Enterprise: Desert Crossing

Post by Beastro »

The goat comment is kinda off. Goats on Earth are one of the main drivers for aridification and the reason why much of the Middle East is the way it is.

I know a guy who was in the US Army and was deployed to a base in Egypt back in the 80s. They had a no go perimeter around it that prevented the locals goats from grazing and so contained the only field of greenery in sight.

Oh, and showing a sports game while playing typical Star Trek music - not a good idea if you're wanting to build drama!
FakeGeekGirl wrote:And it is always, always, always, always humid. The problem with having such narrow ranges of temperature and humidity virtually year round is that people become delicate flowers who lose their cold, heat, aridity, and everything else tolerance.
One of my sisters-in-law is from the Philippines and encouraged her brother and his family to immigrate here to BC.

First bit here he hated how cold it was (which we got a good laugh from, being that Southwestern BC is effectively the Florida of Canada) even going around in summer in a jacket. Now adjusting to here, he can't stand the Philippines when he visits and is stunned he could even tolerate living there in the first place.

Humidity is an odd one. We're fairly humid here being a rain forest, but it's still not tropical humidity. I did love going on trips to the US through the Southwest trucking with my father and feeding how dry the air was, though I'd never want to live in it. In my case being British/German and very pale in the "Celtic" way, I don't think I could ever adjust to living that close to the tropics to the point that feels almost like a genetic incompatibility.
So basically, I am not surprised that Trip completely wilts in the desert and becomes the load for the entire trip.
An apt insult the Afrikaners applied to the British during the Boer War that became an off the cuff name for anyone of British descent in South Africa is Rooinek, or Red Neck. At first it's an odd name for a people of Dutch/French/German descent to be mocking Brits for, but given that the Afrikaners had centuries to acclimatize themselves to region one can see why they laughed at those much like them that didn't know to cover up.
So basically, I am not surprised that Trip completely wilts in the desert and becomes the load for the entire trip.
For me it depends on how much he's lived in Florida and how much time he's spent since then in space accustomed to the regulated environment one would expect on a space ship or station.

I could fully see people living in space or on sealed bases somewhere like on the moon returning to Earth and bitching about all the fine changes in the climate we're all used to. That the wind is blowing too much even when we'd consider it a windless day, that at one moment it was cold and now it's too hot, that the humidity is constantly changing, that it's too bright around noon and too dim towards dusk, that it's disturbing hearing such uneven, random sounds around you with things heard far off in the distance instead of the constant hum of machinery close and all around you that they grew up with and of course, that the gravity is far, far, faaaaar too heavy.

It's these sorts of things I love to think about with Sci-Fi and I wish they'd include them more in settings. Others would be how common Earth things could be taken as insults, like offering something that dirties the air like a cigarette when living in an artificial environment would leave them constantly concerned about wasting their air scrubbers, or trying to get a spacer to drink a carbonated beverage when in zero-g it causes terrible indigestion and so even with Artificial Gravity it would have a stigma over the possibility that the one time you decide to drink it the gravity fails leaving you feeling like shit unable to burp it out.

Also: Topol's ending comment about decisions being left to governments and not ship captains is reason in a world like ours where government communication is close at hand, but in the Age of Sail emulating world of Trek, a captain is in that moment as much the leader of his country as the people light years (and months, or even years) away that will have to effectively make nation level decisions then and there because it is impossible to get in touch with ones superiors back home.

The same also applied to military actions and was a huge reason why the Royal Navy ran circles around their more top heavy, follow your orders to letter foes like France and Spain, since they encouraged their captains to act so long as they knew that if it cost Britain and was inconsistent with the conduct they expected they'd pay for it themselves as Byng found out when he acted more "French" than "English" at Minorca being too cautious and by the book, barely trying to resist because he abandoned the Balearic Islands.

That isn't to say I support Archer's sentiments. IMO, he deserves Byng's fate for misconduct more than Byng did.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

There's something to be said I think for not having Zobral going around doing good deeds but instead just showing him trying to live a life, neither huge saint nor sinner from what we see, instead being what most people are. But considering that normally Enterprise wants to beat you over the head...
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

Riedquat wrote:There's something to be said I think for not having Zobral going around doing good deeds but instead just showing him trying to live a life, neither huge saint nor sinner from what we see, instead being what most people are. But considering that normally Enterprise wants to beat you over the head...
The problem is that he actually IS engaged in a revolution, so we need something to help demonstrate that he's not just putting on a good face for the Enterprise crew while he seeks their help. It's easy for a would-be dictator to put on a good show by pretending to be a normal guy who likes sports and a decent meal.

It's fine if they want it to be ambiguous, of course. The problem is that they TELL us, via lots of exposition, that Zobral is almost certainly the good guy without providing any real evidence. We're supposed to buy that Archer is a good judge of character and he thinks the guy is all right, but Archer has shown some ridiculous naivete and very questionable decision making by this point in the show. It would have been more effective if we just weren't supposed to know how to feel about him by the end of the episode. Archer could admit that he wants to believe in a just cause but that he can't wander into a complicated political situation based on his feelings.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

bronnt wrote:he can't wander into a complicated political situation based on his feelings.
Well, why stop now? 9_9
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Redem
Officer

Post by Redem »

I was suprise "Playing with the boys" by Kenny Loggins wasn't use during the desert lacrosse scene
Ranchoth
Redshirt

Post by Ranchoth »

Middling trivia note: I recall a (probably slightly uncharitable) entry on TV Tropes awhile back about this episode (ENT, not the review), noting that, airing in early 2002, it was about a tall, robed, self-proclaimed freedom fighter in the desert working to aid a group with a name ending in -liban, that it turns out was a good guy all along, just defending himself against an evil superpower government, and that the Captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise hoped he'd win, and that this was metaphorically speaking for the views of the show's writing staff.

:shock:

Yowza. Well, uh, I can certainly agree, someone was putting extra Edgy Jelly™ on their toast, one morning.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Of course there is another possibility why Archer and Trip didn't collect any survival gear from the shuttlepod: they didn't bring any with them. It's not that far-fetched really. If you look at the Puddle Jumpers over on Stargate Atlantis the walls are covered in nets full of boxes and bags of equipment.

But the shuttlepods? Which are the same size as Puddle Jumpers? Bare walls all around. There is occasional suitcase that appears, but going by the episode ''Shuttlepod One'' that doesn't stretch further than microwavable rations, a candle, some whisky and a phase pistol. There appears to be some jackets on hand too.

We can file this as another case of ''why is Archer unfit to captain anything?''
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:17 am Of course there is another possibility why Archer and Trip didn't collect any survival gear from the shuttlepod: they didn't bring any with them. It's not that far-fetched really. If you look at the Puddle Jumpers over on Stargate Atlantis the walls are covered in nets full of boxes and bags of equipment.

But the shuttlepods? Which are the same size as Puddle Jumpers? Bare walls all around. There is occasional suitcase that appears, but going by the episode ''Shuttlepod One'' that doesn't stretch further than microwavable rations, a candle, some whisky and a phase pistol. There appears to be some jackets on hand too.

We can file this as another case of ''why is Archer unfit to captain anything?''
TBH, I would file this as just them making up a reason so crossing a desert would be a struggle.

You would think each shuttlepod to be well stocked since they do use them for days long missions/tasks at times.

In fact that episode where Tucker and Reed spend time in the shuttlepod does seem to carry enough for then to survive long enough if oxygen wasn't an issue...
I got nothing to say here.