Battlestar Galactica: Saga of a Star World

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Battlestar Galactica: Saga of a Star World

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I should point out the Cylons in original recipe Battlestar Galactica AREN'T robots. They are in fact a race of lizard people that have had their brains transferred into robotic bodies like the Cybermen of Doctor Who. This is because Battlestar Galactica was a weird mishmash of conspiracy theories, Mormon theology, and popular UFO as well as New Age spirtualism. The David Icke monsters just happened to also be shiny chrome machines because it was easier to film a guy in a robot suit with a voice modulator.

Some BSG thoughts:

1. Athena was incredibly beautiful and it was a shame she had such a reduced role.

2. BSG deserves credit for being far better than Star Wars in terms of diversity. Hell, better than Star Trek.

3. Dirk Benedict's character didn't age well but I'm not sure that attempting to frack a man's sister after his death for comfort wasn't skeevy in the Seventies too.

4. Baltar being so stupid as to get his own race annihilated is sadly not unbelievable given the history of Nazi collaborators getting treated as useful fools.

5. I'm sadly annoyed about Apollo's LI getting killed decades later as a happily married man on televison is apparently STILL radical.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 pm I should point out the Cylons in original recipe Battlestar Galactica AREN'T robots. They are in fact a race of lizard people that have had their brains transferred into robotic bodies like the Cybermen of Doctor Who. This is because Battlestar Galactica was a weird mishmash of conspiracy theories, Mormon theology, and popular UFO as well as New Age spirtualism. The David Icke monsters just happened to also be shiny chrome machines because it was easier to film a guy in a robot suit with a voice modulator.

Some BSG thoughts:

1. Athena was incredibly beautiful and it was a shame she had such a reduced role.

2. BSG deserves credit for being far better than Star Wars in terms of diversity. Hell, better than Star Trek.

3. Dirk Benedict's character didn't age well but I'm not sure that attempting to frack a man's sister after his death for comfort wasn't skeevy in the Seventies too.

4. Baltar being so stupid as to get his own race annihilated is sadly not unbelievable given the history of Nazi collaborators getting treated as useful fools.

5. I'm sadly annoyed about Apollo's LI getting killed decades later as a happily married man on televison is apparently STILL radical.
Athena would effectively be completely replaced by Sheba about halfway through the series.

Starbuck is problematic - but I do like him. He is basically ANH Han Solo and remains that way.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:58 pmAthena would effectively be completely replaced by Sheba about halfway through the series.
Completely replaced? This sounds so wrong, considering Athena is Apollo's sister and Sheba is a love interest for Apollo...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:58 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 pm I should point out the Cylons in original recipe Battlestar Galactica AREN'T robots. They are in fact a race of lizard people that have had their brains transferred into robotic bodies like the Cybermen of Doctor Who. This is because Battlestar Galactica was a weird mishmash of conspiracy theories, Mormon theology, and popular UFO as well as New Age spirtualism. The David Icke monsters just happened to also be shiny chrome machines because it was easier to film a guy in a robot suit with a voice modulator.

Some BSG thoughts:

Athena would effectively be completely replaced by Sheba about halfway through the series.

Starbuck is problematic - but I do like him. He is basically ANH Han Solo and remains that way.
ANH?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Scififan wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:51 am
clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:58 pm

Some BSG thoughts:

ANH?
A New Hope. Before the character development that meant he no longer, for example, pins a struggling woman against the wall to kiss her who is clearly saying no. But its fine. She wanted it...
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
cdrood
Officer

Post by cdrood »

Baltar is a Doctor Who villain, if ever there was one. Like Mavic Chen, Tobias Vaughn, The Master, etc. thinks he can make a deal with invaders that will put him in charge. Probably figured he'd double cross them at some point and be in complete control.

The Starbuck love triangle was dropped fairly quickly. Probably because there were just too many characters to give it much time and most of Starbuck's scenes were in the A-plots. The fact is, his most important relationship was with Apollo.

Boxie and Muffet: Someone watched way to much Speed Racer. They're the Spritle and ChimChim of BSG. In fact, if I recall correctly, it's a chimpanzee in the dog suit.
cdrood
Officer

Post by cdrood »

The series did a few movie homages to films. One was a Magnificent Seven homage. Another was a combination of The Guns of Navarone and The Dirty Dozen.
cdrood
Officer

Post by cdrood »

The premiere of this show was interrupted for the signing of the Camp David Accords. Unusual for the time, they actually continued it from where they left off instead of resuming it "in progress". Still, yy ten year old self would never forgive Jimmy Carter for that.
cdrood
Officer

Post by cdrood »

There's a theatrical cut of the pilot. It was shown in Sensaround. In that, Baltar is killed.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

cdrood wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:16 pm Baltar is a Doctor Who villain, if ever there was one. Like Mavic Chen, Tobias Vaughn, The Master, etc. thinks he can make a deal with invaders that will put him in charge. Probably figured he'd double cross them at some point and be in complete control.
Ah, pulling a Gul Dukat then.