Twilight Zone: Five Characters in Search of an Exit

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Fianna
Captain

Twilight Zone: Five Characters in Search of an Exit

Post by Fianna »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/twilightzone/tzs3e14.php

Aw, hell yeah! A review of one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes!

Chuck's analysis here is really stunning, diving deep into the themes of an episode that's almost nothing but themes.

And remember the first rule of mime club:

:D
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Twilight Zone: Five Characters in Search of an Exit

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

This one just doesn't work for me. Maybe I don't really get along well with Theater of the Absurd. Chuck's mime joke, however, landed with a splash.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

I think the problem with this episode is that it has been copied relentlessly by pretty much every single twist or fantastical show out there. It was the first, or nearly so, to do it and it did it so well that everyone else wanted to do it too, and that has robbed it of its power. As soon as I saw clown and ballerina in the list, I knew it was a toybox type of thing. That is something that people coming to it first time wouldn't have had in their minds, and if you can sort of wall that bit of your mind off then it becomes much more enjoyable.
Drooling Iguana
Redshirt

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Imagine if they did this episode now. You'd have a transforming robot, at least a couple of superheroes, some fighting monsters, maybe a wrestler or two, etc.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Drooling Iguana wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:53 pm Imagine if they did this episode now. You'd have a transforming robot, at least a couple of superheroes, some fighting monsters, maybe a wrestler or two, etc.
I dunno; apart from the wrestler it seems like it would give the game away early.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

I wonder if this was the inspiration Toy Story.
Drooling Iguana
Redshirt

Post by Drooling Iguana »

The Velveteen Rabbit was a more likely inspiration for Toy Story, but there have been plenty of this kind of "living toys" stories told over the years.
Marveryn
Officer

Post by Marveryn »

Drooling Iguana wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:37 pm The Velveteen Rabbit was a more likely inspiration for Toy Story, but there have been plenty of this kind of "living toys" stories told over the years.
the thing no one comment what if the soul of the toy are those that gone to hell and been transform into toys to be giving away to children
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

CrypticMirror wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:47 am As soon as I saw clown and ballerina in the list, I knew it was a toybox type of thing. That is something that people coming to it first time wouldn't have had in their minds, and if you can sort of wall that bit of your mind off then it becomes much more enjoyable.
I'm guessing those were more prevalent as occupations at the time. Certainly Hobo and Clown were (this was the height of the TV clowns, IIRC).
Drooling Iguana wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:53 pm Imagine if they did this episode now. You'd have a transforming robot, at least a couple of superheroes, some fighting monsters, maybe a wrestler or two, etc.
None of those (save Wrestler, in theory) double as possible real-life occupations, which is what is required for the twist to work, not just as a revelation but as allegory for real people.