TNG - Allegiance

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Sir Will
Officer

Re: TNG - Allegiance

Post by Sir Will »

Jonathan101 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:12 pm I liked the part where Imposter! Picard talked to Troi and she immediately sensed deception and falseness emanating from him with her empathic powers, told him what he wanted to hear and quickly alerted Riker that there was something very wrong with the Captain and he might even be a fake. Really showed her value to the crew and made the episode more intelligent.

/sarcasm
I'm trying to think if anything interesting was ever done with her empathic abilities. More often they have to just ignore them or handwave things because she'd end the plot too soon.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Sir Will wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:00 am
Jonathan101 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:12 pm I liked the part where Imposter! Picard talked to Troi and she immediately sensed deception and falseness emanating from him with her empathic powers, told him what he wanted to hear and quickly alerted Riker that there was something very wrong with the Captain and he might even be a fake. Really showed her value to the crew and made the episode more intelligent.

/sarcasm
I'm trying to think if anything interesting was ever done with her empathic abilities. More often they have to just ignore them or handwave things because she'd end the plot too soon.
Short list to be sure. Most of the time she is vague at the best of times. Almost useless.

So much has been said about her role. One thing though, her abilities if she were a Marvel character would place her at Omega level though.
I got nothing to say here.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Sir Will wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:00 am I'm trying to think if anything interesting was ever done with her empathic abilities.
Tal Shiar Troi is the only one I can think off the top of my head.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

McAvoy wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:13 am
Sir Will wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:00 am

/sarcasm
Short list to be sure. Most of the time she is vague at the best of times. Almost useless.

So much has been said about her role. One thing though, her abilities if she were a Marvel character would place her at Omega level though.
Omega level? Troi? She is but a puppy compared to Jean Grey and Professor X.

Lets list her powers:
1) She can telepathically talk to - talk to - not read the minds of, other telepaths.
2) She can telepathically talk to - talk to - not read the mind of, Riker. Once.
3) She can read your emotional state. Inconsistently. Sometimes she can read you from orbit through shields that can block the sensors and communicators of the Federation flagship (The Royale), whilst other times, she can be face-to-face with you and have her powers seemingly vanish completely.

And lets not forget here as well that her telepathic firewall is apparently non-existent. The ease of which actual telepaths can mind rape this woman is almost embarrassing. Just off the top of my head, there is Shinzon and his XO, the aliens from ''Violations'', the alien who put a music box into her head, there's the guy who committed suicide and left a thought in her head, the two-dimensional aliens who stole her powers, the aliens who communicated with her through her dreams.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

It was funny in the X-men/TNG novel that Troi's ability to read minds over viewscreens (i.e. Line of Sight) utterly confounded Professor X and Jean because it was billions of miles.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:44 pm It was funny in the X-men/TNG novel that Troi's ability to read minds over viewscreens (i.e. Line of Sight) utterly confounded Professor X and Jean because it was billions of miles.
That's where I got it from.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

For the most part I recall this episode because the two other prisoners had their species added as minor species in Star Trek: Birth of the Federation, with the Mizar literally having a "monument of submission" as their special building for bonuses (ups their allegiance to their ruler) where the Chalnoth had, IIRC, a military academy.

Of course, this was back when Paramount's licensing of video game rights were split between several different companies, so no Tellarites, Orions, Tholians, Gorn, or any of the other TOS races (Andorians made it in because they had a couple brief TNG appearances). Only races that showed up in TNG. The Trill were even represented by the original TNG makeup version, not their better-known "forehead spots" version. Nor did some of the ships seen only in DS9 show up, though ironically the Defiant was in the game, as one of the top ships the Federation could design, presumably allowed due to its appearance in First Contact.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

How could you have a "Birth of the Federation" without most of its founding members?!
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Steve wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:38 pm For the most part I recall this episode because the two other prisoners had their species added as minor species in Star Trek: Birth of the Federation, with the Mizar literally having a "monument of submission" as their special building for bonuses (ups their allegiance to their ruler) where the Chalnoth had, IIRC, a military academy.

Of course, this was back when Paramount's licensing of video game rights were split between several different companies, so no Tellarites, Orions, Tholians, Gorn, or any of the other TOS races (Andorians made it in because they had a couple brief TNG appearances). Only races that showed up in TNG. The Trill were even represented by the original TNG makeup version, not their better-known "forehead spots" version. Nor did some of the ships seen only in DS9 show up, though ironically the Defiant was in the game, as one of the top ships the Federation could design, presumably allowed due to its appearance in First Contact.
Yeah basically one off episodic species got put in that game. It was only for TNG. First Contact counted, so Defiant and Sovereign class was put in. DS9 showed up in TNG so they could use that.

Though the funny thing is they did include the Keldon class Cardassian ship as a Strike Cruiser. Never appeared in TNG but in DS9's episode Defiant. The Hideki I think too.

I think that Klingon Starbase might have been put in there too from the Season 5's opener.

Basically alot of fudging.

There have been fan made updates to the game over the past 25ish years though.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

I like this episode in general, aside from the intensely goofy aliens at the end.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13