Lower Decks - Second Contact

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Lower Decks - Second Contact

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Fianna wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:27 pm I guess there is the question of, is Lower Decks meant to be in-continuity with the other Trek shows, or just a riff on them? Like, could you ever see live-action versions of these characters appear on one of the other shows?
DISCO made a reference to the hot bannanas replicator joke.

I think one of the producers suggested it was "mostly" true
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:18 pm DISCO made a reference to the hot bananas replicator joke.
The funny thing is that, to me, this reference was done (on the serious show, no less) far more adeptly than most of the references on Lower Decks. I give them credit for knowing the right way to execute this one. In fact I'd go so far as to say that this wasn't even a "reference" (in the way the word has come to mean), but simply continuity. To me, that's a stronger comedy moment.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Deledrius wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:47 pmThe funny thing is that, to me, this reference was done (on the serious show, no less) far more adeptly than most of the references on Lower Decks. I give them credit for knowing the right way to execute this one. In fact I'd go so far as to say that this wasn't even a "reference" (in the way the word has come to mean), but simply continuity. To me, that's a stronger comedy moment.
I'm the opposite as I think Lower Decks references are meant to be a game for the reviewer to reward their Trek knowledge. It's part of the fun and genre. They're not trying to tell a story by itself but satirize an entire history.

The hot bannanas just felt awkwardly shoehorned in but that was just me.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:06 pm Well... i'm bored. Its a lazy Saturday night and the Formula 1 is late today because its in Miami. And I thought ''lets watch this review. I don't watch New Trek so why not have my first dose of Lower Decks? That'll kill fifteen minutes. It can't be that bad, after all, plenty of people on this forum have been singing its praises for months now.''
Did you miss the part where he said "Don't watch this review first"? Because he was pretty clear about that at the beginning.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:47 am
clearspira wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:06 pm Well... i'm bored. Its a lazy Saturday night and the Formula 1 is late today because its in Miami. And I thought ''lets watch this review. I don't watch New Trek so why not have my first dose of Lower Decks? That'll kill fifteen minutes. It can't be that bad, after all, plenty of people on this forum have been singing its praises for months now.''
Did you miss the part where he said "Don't watch this review first"? Because he was pretty clear about that at the beginning.
So let me get this straight: I should skip to halfway through the series because - and this is key - it starts out so shit that no one would continue watching it?
Not impressed.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:21 am I thought it was weird Chuck actually repeated that, "Don't watch this as a standalone" multiple times.
I repeat what I said to Fuzzy.

I'm sorry to Chuck, but I think that is a terrible argument. This is the pilot episode of your whole effing show. This is what should be ushering me into your world, the hook for me to get my teeth into. If I was watching this on launch the suggestion here seems to be ''struggle through the shit to get to the good stuff.''
I wonder if you would be so charitable to a show that you weren't so attached to?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:11 am I repeat what I said to Fuzzy.

I'm sorry to Chuck, but I think that is a terrible argument. This is the pilot episode of your whole effing show. This is what should be ushering me into your world, the hook for me to get my teeth into. If I was watching this on launch the suggestion here seems to be ''struggle through the shit to get to the good stuff.''
I wonder if you would be so charitable to a show that you weren't so attached to?
I'm not the one saying it's an out of order review in the actual review.

But I'm also not going to criticize anyone who thinks Lower Decks isn't their thing either. It's a very manic, high-powered referential joke a minute sort of a show, that I know some people will just not find their thing but very much is mine.
CareerKnight
Officer

Post by CareerKnight »

clearspira wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:03 am So let me get this straight: I should skip to halfway through the series because - and this is key - it starts out so shit that no one would continue watching it?
Not impressed.
I don't think I have seen anyone say skip half a season, just skip the first episode and possibly the second. That's way better than the warning I give people for TNG which is skip the first two seasons except for a few episodes.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

clearspira wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:03 am
So let me get this straight: I should skip to halfway through the series because - and this is key - it starts out so shit that no one would continue watching it?
Not impressed.
Let's see TNG:
Encounter at Far Point
The Naked Now
Code of Honor

Would you recommend people skip those because it does get better?
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

CareerKnight wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:39 pmI don't think I have seen anyone say skip half a season, just skip the first episode and possibly the second. That's way better than the warning I give people for TNG which is skip the first two seasons except for a few episodes.
I would in terms of skipping the first half of the season, though I would say to then give those earlier ones a chance after that as some of them are improved when you've got a better idea of what the show is like when it's good.

And yeah I'm not seeing a problem in regard to whether a show is worth watching by saying skip forward a bunch as it requires no effort or time commitment from the potential viewer. In fact it cuts down on both.

There's many, many shows where people will say to not watch the early stuff for various reasons. TNG being one as you mentioned. I'd also add Clone Wars being one especially as even the most extreme of that show's fanboys will both rave about it's unquestioned excellence while also saying not to go anywhere near most of s1 and that movie they did first with Stinky.