SG-1: The Lost City

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Fianna
Captain

SG-1: The Lost City

Post by Fianna »

Part 1: https://sfdebris.com/videos/stargate/sg1s7e21.php

Kinsey saying, "You have no idea what my agenda is!" ... that could have been them talking to the writers. Because the thing about Kinsey is, they're always wrong. When the threat is dire and calls for urgent, aggressive action (as is the case here), they stick their head in the sand. But when the situation calls for a slower, more diplomatic approach, then they support the shady black ops guys who want to crack alien skulls and steal their tech.

Like, was there ever an episode where Kinsey just happened to be on the right side of a debate, stopped clocks right twice a day and all that?
clearspira
Overlord

Re: SG-1: The Lost City

Post by clearspira »

Fianna wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:56 am Part 1: https://sfdebris.com/videos/stargate/sg1s7e21.php

Kinsey saying, "You have no idea what my agenda is!" ... that could have been them talking to the writers. Because the thing about Kinsey is, they're always wrong. When the threat is dire and calls for urgent, aggressive action (as is the case here), they stick their head in the sand. But when the situation calls for a slower, more diplomatic approach, then they support the shady black ops guys who want to crack alien skulls and steal their tech.

Like, was there ever an episode where Kinsey just happened to be on the right side of a debate, stopped clocks right twice a day and all that?
I think he was right about the Stargate Program in his first appearance. It was costing billions of dollars to achieve, at that point, very little.

There was a legitimate argument that shutting down the Stargate may convince the Goa'uld to leave us alone as there was little evidence as to the strength of their current space navy - just because they had this capability 3000 years ago doesnt mean they still did. "And anyway we have our naqadah enhanced missiles now whereas the Egyptians had horses and slings" is not an automatically incorrect argument.

He was also correct in saying that it really was convenient that aliens were invading the moment that he had come to shut down Anerica's alien defence operation.

I am of the opinion that Kinsey was so right in fact that the writers backed themselves into a corner and decided to turn him into a dick halfway through the episode. "God will save us from aliens" indeed.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Part 2: https://sfdebris.com/videos/stargate/sg1s7e22.php
It really feels like a proper end for the series (as it was originally planned before the show got renewed for another season). It's a bit silly how they were able to conceal the fact that an entire USN carrier group was destroyed by meteorites, while also concealing the ship debris, which should have made any space flight impossible. You'd think that after this incident all the space agencies around the globe would have increased the asteroid detection programs, meaning that they would have spotted many of SGC's space adventures in Earth's orbit. But then again, I suppose when the show has infinite plot armor, you can just cover the sky with it and block anyone from seeing anything. :lol:

It's also nice to see Earth finally kicking ass for once.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

I always thought there should have been a global acknowledgement at this point. There are enough amateur astronomers that any official coverup should have been utterly futile.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Ranadiel
Redshirt

Post by Ranadiel »

I have to say that Lost City Part 2 is quite likely one of my favorite episodes of Stargate. It has a ton of great moments like the Jack/Teal'c moment Chuck pointed out. And it is just chock full of great moments.

One of the things that I loved about the series was the sense of progression over the years of the Tau'ri advancing from having a shuttle in Season 1 to basically being a major space power by the time the series ended. And I think the deployment of the Prometheus, which has one of the best symbolic names possible, in the battle over Antartica is the best moment in that overall series arc.

Also I just kind of love the design of the Prometheus as it feels like someone attached an anti-grav pack to a navy ship, welded it up to be air tight, and then hoped for the best. In universe I imagine they were basing the design on Navy ships because they had no other frame of reference of what the ship needed to be optimized for. And that gives it a unique design that makes it feel like the perfect "first military spaceship" for the Tau'ri.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Ranadiel wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:44 pm I have to say that Lost City Part 2 is quite likely one of my favorite episodes of Stargate. It has a ton of great moments like the Jack/Teal'c moment Chuck pointed out. And it is just chock full of great moments.

One of the things that I loved about the series was the sense of progression over the years of the Tau'ri advancing from having a shuttle in Season 1 to basically being a major space power by the time the series ended. And I think the deployment of the Prometheus, which has one of the best symbolic names possible, in the battle over Antartica is the best moment in that overall series arc.

Also I just kind of love the design of the Prometheus as it feels like someone attached an anti-grav pack to a navy ship, welded it up to be air tight, and then hoped for the best. In universe I imagine they were basing the design on Navy ships because they had no other frame of reference of what the ship needed to be optimized for. And that gives it a unique design that makes it feel like the perfect "first military spaceship" for the Tau'ri.
I do like that part of the show of technological progression. Hell there was a little period of just having the Prometheus and it either being refitted, stuck on a planet or almost useless.

Though the period of ten years is still way too short. And having a capability to build the Prometheus which is anywhere between 375-450 meters long. Longer than an aircraft carrier. Daedalus is even longer at 600 meters.
I got nothing to say here.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

Especially since they had to be built in complete secrecy.
Swiftbow
Officer

Post by Swiftbow »

clearspira wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:24 pm
Fianna wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:56 am Part 1: https://sfdebris.com/videos/stargate/sg1s7e21.php

I think he was right about the Stargate Program in his first appearance. It was costing billions of dollars to achieve, at that point, very little.

There was a legitimate argument that shutting down the Stargate may convince the Goa'uld to leave us alone as there was little evidence as to the strength of their current space navy - just because they had this capability 3000 years ago doesnt mean they still did. "And anyway we have our naqadah enhanced missiles now whereas the Egyptians had horses and slings" is not an automatically incorrect argument.

He was also correct in saying that it really was convenient that aliens were invading the moment that he had come to shut down Anerica's alien defence operation.

I am of the opinion that Kinsey was so right in fact that the writers backed themselves into a corner and decided to turn him into a dick halfway through the episode. "God will save us from aliens" indeed.
Kinsey's issue was that he was never willing to listen to arguments. Everything he ever did was dogmatic. And I don't mean religious... his invocation of God always struck me as REALLY disingenuous. Like the kind of thing he says so he can get reelected. And maybe when he's backed into a corner and has no argument.

I think the point is... burying your head in the sand rarely ever works in the real world.
Ranadiel wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:44 pm I have to say that Lost City Part 2 is quite likely one of my favorite episodes of Stargate. It has a ton of great moments like the Jack/Teal'c moment Chuck pointed out. And it is just chock full of great moments.

It's my favorite, too. The battle over Antartica is frankly one of the most satisfying scenes ever shot.

And yeah... I believe the last movie (which was cancelled) was supposed to finally be about revealing the Stargate program to the world. But they really should have done it here. I think the reason they kept delaying was probably arguments in the writer's room about what the fallout would actually BE... and how difficult that might make a season to film. Thus, their plan was always to end the series with the reveal, because then they could leave the final result up to the viewer.

I personally think season 8, which was epic, could have been even more so if that had also been thrown in, though. I would imagine that the final Jaffa uprising could have been aided by more than just token SGC forces, with Earth involved in a major final war with Anubis and the Replicators, even as they're trying to hold Earth itself together.

I'm still not sure exactly how Earth would react, though... I don't tend to prescribe to the mass chaos idea, but there would certainly at least be SOME chaos. And a lot tied more to the reveal of the giant war waged on Earth's behalf more so than that alien's exist. It definitely would have been a huge change to the general Stargate episode premises.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Regarding revealing the stargate to the world, I think if the maybe/maybe not new series of the show wants to stand out, it needs to actually do something with the idea. The episode "2010" is a good example where you have vacation by stargate etc.

But I would go further. I would like to see Babylon 5, where we've joined the galaxy but its more realistic than Trek. After all, look at the Stargateverse post season 10: the Goa'uld are a dead power but have splintered into multiple groups, the Asgard are gone but not completely, the To'kra are dying, the Wraith are also splintered, the Ori's forces have seen "the truth". I'm just saying, you could make a B5 series out of that.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

A big change would be that, you'd have to imagine everyone in SG-1 would be big celebrities, once all the world-saving becomes public knowledge. Any scene set on Earth, outside of the SGC, would probably have them being mobbed by reporters and autograph seekers and "Anubis Was Right" crackpots.