Mars Attacks 60th Anniversary

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Fianna
Captain

Mars Attacks 60th Anniversary

Post by Fianna »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/special/marsattacks.php

Well, this was a delightful surprise!

I will disagree with Chuck about the series being "darkly comedic". Even in the 60's, a lot of the sci-fi imagery here had come to be seen as hokey and a little goofy: Martian invaders with giant visible brains and fishbowl helmets; flying saucers shooting heat rays and freeze rays and shrink rays; giant robots with those great big pincer hands. So seeing that sort of cheesy, old-school sci-fi stuff engaged in such viscerally horrific violence ... it's the same sort of comedy that comes from seeing someone impaled by a unicorn.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Mars Attacks 60th Anniversary

Post by clearspira »

I genuinely didn't know that the 1990s film was based on an older property. This'll be a good series for me.
(Terrible film btw. When you gather a cast of this ability you expect just a bit more y'know?)
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Fianna wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:26 am https://sfdebris.com/videos/special/marsattacks.php

Well, this was a delightful surprise!

I will disagree with Chuck about the series being "darkly comedic". Even in the 60's, a lot of the sci-fi imagery here had come to be seen as hokey and a little goofy: Martian invaders with giant visible brains and fishbowl helmets; flying saucers shooting heat rays and freeze rays and shrink rays; giant robots with those great big pincer hands. So seeing that sort of cheesy, old-school sci-fi stuff engaged in such viscerally horrific violence ... it's the same sort of comedy that comes from seeing someone impaled by a unicorn.
So "darkly comedic".
AndrewGPaul
Officer

Post by AndrewGPaul »

No. 16 Panic in Parliament: at the moment, murderous aliens bursting through the roof can only be an improvement. “The usual reserved meeting hall…” - I don’t think the guy who wrote this had ever been to England. 😀

No. 18 A Soldier Fights Back: by spanking the naughty Martians, it seems.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:59 am I genuinely didn't know that the 1990s film was based on an older property. This'll be a good series for me.
(Terrible film btw. When you gather a cast of this ability you expect just a bit more y'know?)
You think the 90's film is terrible?

Makes sense if you never saw the 60's version.
I got nothing to say here.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

think he will do the sequel Mars attack: The revenge
jadenova
Officer

Post by jadenova »

Is the entire thing just Chuck reading the cards?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

jadenova wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:38 pm Is the entire thing just Chuck reading the cards?
There a little more, but admittedly not much. Wish he ended each video with a recap of his thoughts or how the story progressing.
SYLOH
Redshirt

Post by SYLOH »

I watched the Mars Attacks movies when I was waaay too young for it.
I did not find it the least bit funny, and was having nightmares for weeks.
Now that I've seen the original source materials I think I understand where that was coming from.
That's some seriously messed up shit.
hypocratus
Redshirt

Post by hypocratus »

Does anyone else feel like there are some missing cards to this set? It goes from humans managing to fight off the giant insects to having built enough rockets to send troops and armored units to Mars in the span of nothing.