VOY: Infinite Regress

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

VOY: Infinite Regress

Post by clearspira »

Is Jeri Ryan hot in that catsuit? Yes.
Did it put a million boys through puberty? Yes.
Did it help revitalise a dying show? Yes.
Is that catsuit absolutely ridiculous in-universe? Yes.
Did the actress suffer immensely whilst wearing it? Yes.
Has it aged terribly and is now incredibly shameful and demeaning? Yes.

See? All of these things can be true simultaneously. You would never get a woman in a mainstream science fiction show dress like this anymore. And good riddance. Not because I hate hot women. But because its a relic of a different age.

Incidentally, what I liked about Seven!Ferengi is the lack of self-awareness ''he'' had that ''he'' was a woman in a padded catsuit. Seven is absolutely everything a Ferengi male would hate in a woman. This is also a fine example of Klingons basically becoming animals in later Trek, eating meat raw and biting people. I really do not remember Klingons before Voyager and Enterprise doing any of this.

I do wonder how the lack of self-awareness thing works though. How do you not notice that you have two balloons on your chest or that you are wearing six-inch heels?
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: VOY: Infinite Regress

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I mean it did mess with the mind, it is not impossible for each personality senses to be alter so they believe that they are what they think they are and not what happening in reality.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Klingons were eating live food when Riker participated in the training exercise with them.
Power laces... alright.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

One more episode of voyager
LordFeagans
Redshirt

Post by LordFeagans »

clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:05 am This is also a fine example of Klingons basically becoming animals in later Trek, eating meat raw and biting people. I really do not remember Klingons before Voyager and Enterprise doing any of this.
In TNG, season 2, "A Matter of Honor", Riker serves on a Klingon ship and is surprised to find that they are eating live animals.

In TNG, season 3, "Sins of the Father", Kern is disgusted at the idea of eating a cooked animal.

In TNG season 7, "Genesis", a de-evolving Worf gives Troi that "love bite" on her cheek. Now, Worf never gave that love bite to K'Ehleyr, or Dax, so I tend to assume that was only because he was de-evolving. So, I guess what we can assume is that Worf is too human to live with Klingons if it took de-evolving to start biting his mate and this older Klingon just starts biting at the start of this attempt at mating. But then again, based upon the Klingons that we see in TNG and DS9, I think of Worf as kind of a housecat and Klingons as lions.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

I never understood why Seven's outfit gets so much focus. Yes, it's a form hugging bodysuit, but so was Kira's on Deep Space 9, yet I never see anyone talk about that.
TheGreenMan
Redshirt

Post by TheGreenMan »

Fianna wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:14 am I never understood why Seven's outfit gets so much focus. Yes, it's a form hugging bodysuit, but so was Kira's on Deep Space 9, yet I never see anyone talk about that.
Seven had a body hugging cat suit. Kira's top, while form fitting, was not nearly as much of a body suit that bends around every curve. Her boobs weren't individually wrapped. And the lower halves of the outfits are, as far as I tell in pictures, completely different. Seven's outfit continues to be a cat suit. Kira's is more just pants. And if you look at the current Seven outfit from Picard, yes she has boobs but that's because, she has boobs.

I am arguing by degrees a bit but they are rather stark degrees.

Seven examples:
Original Seven: https://hallmarkstartrekornamentsdotcom ... eg?w\=1024
Later Seven: https://www.julienslive.com/images/lot/ ... 1634205152
Current Seven: https://www.syfy.com/sites/syfy/files/2 ... f-nine.jpg

Kira example: https://i0.wp.com/www.womenatwarp.com/w ... C&ssl%5C=1
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fianna wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:14 am I never understood why Seven's outfit gets so much focus. Yes, it's a form hugging bodysuit, but so was Kira's on Deep Space 9, yet I never see anyone talk about that.
The difference between Kira and Seven is that Kira was not cast just to be boobs. Seven's story was in spite of the reason why she was casted not because of it. And her uniform did improve over the years (Colonel Kira compared to Major Kira is a vast improvement). Like I said originally, its shameful in hindsight and makes no sense in-universe, especially when you take into account Kira's personality. A relic of a bygone age of how we treated women.

The weirdest case of padding BTW is actually Hoshi. Linda Park was not ''ample'' to put it politely (as you can see whenever she gets down to a tank top) and yet her season 1 uniform put her up two cups.

The show that actually showed the most improvement was arguably TNG. They actually took Troi out of her catsuit and gave her a non-padded uniform. Strange none of the other shows learned from them. I almost wonder how the behind-the-scenes allowed the uniform change, I know Sirtis was very happy when it happened.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

They weren't padding Kira's bra and putting her in a corset that she would sometimes faint from wearing.

Kira's outfit accentuated what was there. Seven's outfits made her a Barbie doll.

Also, Kira's outfit for all that it accentuated her figure, was a *uniform* that many other characters on the show wore, including male characters and other main Odo. The Next Gen outfits were form fitting enough you could tell Denise Crosby didn't wear a bra, but they weren't sex object outfits the way Seven's was.
remagynona
Redshirt

Post by remagynona »

To be fair to Troi, her dumb getup was probably more comfortable than the actual Starfleet uniforms from TNG seasons 1 and 2. Those actually caused the actors a bunch of back problems due to how tight they were. Seven's catsuit had the same issue except it was even more extreme. When your actor is passing out due to how tight the wardrobe is, there's something very wrong. I can't even imagine how Ryan made it through 4 seasons with that corset on. You look at her acting scenes involving kneeling, squatting and reaching and you can tell her back is physically incapable of bending. It's uncomfortable just to watch.