The Christmas Episode

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
m4a2000
Officer

Re: The Christmas Episode

Post by m4a2000 »

Its over, its finally over!

... ONE MORE TIME!
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Now to look forward to Chuck doing Prodigy. That recent body swap one especially is just crying out for a Janeway voice version of the "Now you've got us in stereo, baby!" Red Dwarf clip.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I'm surprised Hunters was the last episode. More surprised that that's the last Voyager episode, I thought maybe there were more left. Also not sure what the deal was with showcasing Message in a Bottle, but I've watched it in case that prefaces the Hunters review.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I wonder what's coming in the new year?

I'm hoping for more Stargate. Specifically, SGU. It is long overdue that Chuck gives Stargate: Enterprise a once over.
MaudDib9417
Redshirt

Post by MaudDib9417 »

I say he should cover BSG next year. He's already covered the first few episodes and he just reuploaded the review of the pilot.
BlackoutCreature2
Officer

Post by BlackoutCreature2 »

clearspira wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:28 pm I wonder what's coming in the new year?

I'm hoping for more Stargate. Specifically, SGU. It is long overdue that Chuck gives Stargate: Enterprise a once over.
I always said that if Chuck ever gets around to reviewing the SGU pilot, the most accurate review he could give it would just be a 90 minute audio file of himself snoring.
Lazerlike42
Officer

Post by Lazerlike42 »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:54 am
Riedquat wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:07 pm Would be interesting to know just what his worst of all time is. Oh well, not this year.
He did exactly that for the sixth anniversary where he ranked the worst of the worst.

6. TOS FILM Star Trek V
5. TNG Code of Honor
4. TNG FILM Nemesis
3. DS9 Profit and Lace
2. VOY Threshold
1. ENT A Night In Sickbay

At that time he hadn't yet done the worst of TOS or TAS, so no telling where TOS: "And the Children Shall Lead" and TAS: "The Infinite Vulcan" fall in, but they're both merely bad , not actually hurting people or the franchise so they'd probably be low in the rankings.

And obviously theres several new series that haven't run their course yet so they can't be ranked yet but Lower Deck's worst will probably end up being its first episode unless soemthing really goes off the rails later.
I don't get the hatred for A Night in Sickbay - and this is especially so in the context of considering offensive content as being part of the calculation since A Night in Sickbay certainly has nothing that might qualify for that kind of distinction.

I guess I can see why some might consider it boring, but there are a lot of other episodes that I'd easily put as worse from the standpoint of pure entertainment value.

Still, for me personally A Night in Sickbay is not just not the worst, but it's a pretty decent episode. It fills what I consider an important role in a series, namely of depicting the characters in the midst, not of some tense situation or unique mystery, but of the everyday. I think that this sort of thing makes characters more real and more relatable. I think, for instance, that one of the reasons the Harry Potter series was so popular was because of just how much time is spent on the characters' everyday, mundane lives.

For example, perhaps it's an unpopular opinion but I think that Data's Day, while an okay episode, is weaker than it could have been because it raises the idea of showing us the a normal day but ultimately makes the episode be about another high pressure, extraordinary situation just like all the other episodes of the series. I'm not saying it should have been about literally nothing, but I also don't think it actually showed a normal day in the life of Data (or anyone else) and that doing so would have enriched the series.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Lazerlike42 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:50 pm I don't get the hatred for A Night in Sickbay - and this is especially so in the context of considering offensive content as being part of the calculation since A Night in Sickbay certainly has nothing that might qualify for that kind of distinction.
I think part of the thing is that the episode matches up with the downturn of Enterprise in terms of ratings, which in turn brought about the end TV Trek for a while.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Yeah Chuck includes as part of the criteria for 0/10 being somehow damaging to the actual franchise itself, so while some just damage the credibility of Star Trek (Code of Honor for being the racist episode of a franchise dedicated to anti-racism, Threshold for being the worst science in one of the biggest science fiction franchises out there), but Star Trek V, Nemesis, and Night in Sickbay have been credited with nearly (and in the last case, actually) killing the franchise for a time.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Lazerlike42 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:50 pm I don't get the hatred for A Night in Sickbay -
Due to shenanigans with advertising, It was the single most-watched episode aside from the first handful of the first season, and it was bad enough to prevent most of those viewers from ever trying it again, leading to massive drop offs in the weeks to come and ultimately the death of the franchise for over a decade. It loses a lot of points for that.

If it had been a random barely watched episode in the middle of season 4 when it was already a done deal it maybe wouldn't have that burden on it.