Hermit's Journey Part II

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
GandALF
Officer

Re: Hermit's Journey Part II

Post by GandALF »

Morgaine wrote: Yes because Lucas has never lied before about planning things ahead of time right?
Given these "notes" were published in an appendix to a book published in 2007 you'll excuse me if I don't take the fabrications of a proven liar seriously.
lol he's not a "proven liar", did Lucas run over your dog or something?

He's embellished or misremembered some things when recounting production. He's also referred to himself as the "king of wooden dialogue" and worn a t-shirt with "Han shot first" printed on it, so he wouldn't be such a massive egotist that he would forge notes.

Gene Roddenberry arguably had a much bigger ego and made at least as many, if not more, mistakes than Lucas when creating TMP and early TNG. Yet there's outrage when a show 20+ years after his death doesn't completely conform to his ideas and the success of Michael Piller and Ron Moore gets indirectly attributed to him, yet Lucas gets so much vitriol directed towards him that he can barely get credit for ANH.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

Through two parts, Chuck has mentioned a lot of less than ideal choices (such as the midichlorians) that were "necessary" for the story Lucas wanted to tell to work. What I wonder is, why didn't Lucas realize at some point that his story just wasn't working instead of bending everything else to fit certain facts that he was stuck on?

For example, have Anakin's mother be kidnapped and/or killed before he leaves, and Anakin can perform some force hijinks as a result. Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan notice the demonstration of power, and that's what leads to Anakin's training. The midichlorians would no longer be necessary, and Anakin could be a more manageable age.

I'm still not totally sure if I buy that being the only reason for introducing the midichlorians, however. I don't think Lucas wanted to replace the mystical or spiritual qualities of the Force, so much as include a "scientific signature."
The owls are not what they seem.
Morgaine
Officer

Post by Morgaine »

GandALF wrote:
Morgaine wrote: Yes because Lucas has never lied before about planning things ahead of time right?
Given these "notes" were published in an appendix to a book published in 2007 you'll excuse me if I don't take the fabrications of a proven liar seriously.
lol he's not a "proven liar", did Lucas run over your dog or something?

He's embellished or misremembered some things when recounting production. He's also referred to himself as the "king of wooden dialogue" and worn a t-shirt with "Han shot first" printed on it, so he wouldn't be such a massive egotist that he would forge notes.
When it comes to the idea that he "planned it all from the start", Lucas *is* a massive egotist.
These claims are provably false and yet he has persisted in saying that the original trilogy and even the prequels were all set from the moment he wrote the original movie. Not to mention Lucasfilm's policy of attempting to bury the original version of the OT by only rereleasing the special editions.

So no, I simply don't believe him. The connection to mitochondria is obvious, and mitochondria weren't much in popular culture in 1977.
I'm not saying Lucas is a plagiarist though, and it wouldn't be the first time Lucas took inspiration from the Japanese. I'm just saying he applied it badly.
Gene Roddenberry arguably had a much bigger ego and made at least as many, if not more, mistakes than Lucas when creating TMP and early TNG. Yet there's outrage when a show 20+ years after his death doesn't completely conform to his ideas and the success of Michael Piller and Ron Moore gets indirectly attributed to him, yet Lucas gets so much vitriol directed towards him that he can barely get credit for ANH.
I can't speak to that. My only issue with Discovery is that it's rubbish, not that it doesn't follow Gene's vision to the letter.
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Morgaine wrote: When it comes to the idea that he "planned it all from the start", Lucas *is* a massive egotist.
These claims are provably false and yet he has persisted in saying that the original trilogy and even the prequels were all set from the moment he wrote the original movie. Not to mention Lucasfilm's policy of attempting to bury the original version of the OT by only rereleasing the special editions.
Yes, they ruthlessly suppressed the unaltered versions by... releasing them on DVD in 2006.

There are elements of the prequels in the early drafts, so his claims aren't entirely false. The idea that he would fabricate notes on midi-chlorians of all things, is nuts. Who would he be trying to convince? What would be the purpose of all that effort?

How am I supposed to take your prequel bashing seriously when you sound like Alex Jones?
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

bronnt wrote:
Independent George wrote:Different media, different rules - it's easy enough to add an appendix to the back of a 1,000+ pages of text. How do you add an appendix of supplementary materials to a film? The closest analogue I can come up with is a DVD extra, like the 'history of Westeros' shorts on the Game of Thrones Blu-Rays. Is there an equivalent of a showrunner's bible for film?
That's part of why I'm not sure what to make of it. I just wanted to point out that there's no fair comparison between Tolkien and Lucas because Tolkien was able to show all the work he did.The main problem with "The Phantom Menace" is that Lucas doesn't seem clear on what story he is trying to tell and how he's telling it. There's no single clear plot thread that carries the story from start to finish, nothing even close to Frodo's involvement with the ring and the quest to destroy it.
There's also the "narrative" integrity of the creation of Tolkien's work. He was always upfront in exactly how he created he world and used a historical thought process when he ran into problems. So much of that was maintaining the idea of rules to his world that he had to work within.

The best example of the is the problem with Glorfindel when he realized he'd used the name twice and his rule for Elves was that Elves used unique names, no two Elves used the same. Instead of changing either name, though, he took the situation as an opportunity to expand his world and introduced reincarnation into it when it occurred to him that he hadn't touched on it and there wasn't anything about reincarnation that could rule out adding it. Despite that it was incredibly rare and only Glorfindel is known to have been reincarnated, someone who is a background character.

Chuck's stuff on Star Wars shows that so much of what made Star Wars great came from a similar process of working within the bounds, something Lucas appears to have failed to realize thinking the same old assumption, that, if they could do something like the original trilogy within the technological, filming and writing limitations they faced, then doing so without any would result in an even better product.

Even when writing and production presented problems, like with Obi-Wans age and the overall timeline, Lucas seemed to try and work around them not work with them. So much of the problem I think is that part of Lucas that caused him to start claiming credit for things that didn't exist, like a laid out plan in the trilogy, but one that is hardly unique when the producers of Lost and other shows have thrown out the same BS and by now people should know that kind of thing will only bite you in the ass later on unless it's 100% true.
There's no single clear plot thread that carries the story from start to finish, nothing even close to Frodo's involvement with the ring and the quest to destroy it.
There can't be with the path he built where grown Anakin wouldn't be in the first movie at all, but he made things worse building too much of a grand epic that felt more like War and Peace than something marketed as Anakin's journey towards becoming Darth Vader.

It makes me wonder if there might have been some thing in the EU that Lucas could have drawn on for help, since much of that has the same grand feel and sense of history, but I'm not familiar with it beyond randomly wandering through Wookiepedia when dealing with insomnia, so I don't even know if the EU was well established enough by '97 to have been a help.
When it comes to the idea that he "planned it all from the start", Lucas *is* a massive egotist.
I wouldn't call him a massive egotist, at least as far as he was during the 70s and 80s. The problem was he made helped create something that caused a huge buzz, and everyone happened to look towards him to praise that eventually caused a snowball that led to Lucas wanting to think he did more than he did and could do more next time around.

Again, look at Lost and how it suffered the exact same problem. It was a huge hit if you're not familiar with it and the vague way it was originally made caused the same torrent of questions that ultimately led everyone to ask if the writers and producers had a plan. Afraid they might deflate the show by not saying "no" the producers nodded and went too far, saying EVERYTHING was going to be sorted out by the end that led them to scramble to do just that and not only failed, but ruined many of the shows most beloved questions.

The problem with Lost was that the likes of Damon Lindelof are good at creating mystery, but terrible at unveiling it, which alongside his penchant for having characters do incredibly stupid things is a big reason why the movie Prometheus was such mess.

All of that doesn't raise touch on if Lucas by the 90s was a massive egotist, and by then I'm not so sure, if only for the fact that he didn't place limitations upon himself and it seems he wanted the Prequels to everything he wanted in that he wanted to make the Prequels while at the same time having them be experimental movies to be a reason to fiddle with new tech failing to realize that you use tried and tested tech and practices where it matters, leaving experiments in an experimental environments in much the same way you do not press prototype aircraft into military service when they're simply too few and too bug to do much at all.

The the case of the Prequels, the tech worked well enough, but it was one too many things added to an already crowded plate.
There are elements of the prequels in the early drafts, so his claims aren't entirely false.
There are elements, but at the same time he wasn't honest. I wonder if part of the problem too was him not wanting to let down everyone thinking so highly of him as well that became a mutually escalating problem. He didn't want to say something like "Actually Darth Vader being Luke's father was a last minute thing when we got worked into a corner, I'm happy it worked out so well, but it definitely wasn't there from the start.... very little actually was, but enough for something great to be built from as we went" because it might let too many down (and thus damage the films and Prequels), while as he kept going along people kept expecting more and more that everything was under his control, which was exactly what happened to Lost in that the producers let hype go so far that fans expected every minor mystery and question to fit into a grand idea that they'd had from the beginning.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I was pleasantly surprised to see that SF Debris only briefly touched on the racial aspects of Jar Jar Binks, and even then, only as a minor footnote. Very well done, Chuck. So happy to see you being so fair and dispassionate about this. As for myself, I tend to believe those uncomfortable around Jar Jar are too touchy about race issues. I mean, who is it you see the MOST complaining about Jar Jar as a racist caricature? White people. And they really don't understand much about race from a minority perspective. I believe Ahmed Best is 100% accurate. If you think an alien that was written without race in mind and doesn't bear a remote resemblance to real life cultures and peoples from Earth is somehow a Rastafarian/minstrel stereotype, what does that say about you? That you're super sensitive to race issues through your primarily pop culture filtered white lens. And this is a white guy saying that.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

Should we consolidate the different threads on Hermit's Journey onto the first one? It seems hard to discuss only one part at a time - comments will inevitably touch on things from all of the parts, and not just a single video.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

I second that motion
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Will we lose all the previous comments we've made?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Yukaphile wrote:Will we lose all the previous comments we've made?
Shouldn’t do; all the comments should get condensed into one thread. Only issue will be that they’ll be listed in date order of posted, so if someone commented on the pt1 thread a week after all the comments in the pt2 thread that comment would appear after all the pt2 comments potentially creating some non-sequiturs, but that’s not much of an issue and will only really confuse those reading through at a later date.