A Look at First Person Shooter (X-Files)

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
HighPriest
Redshirt

Re: A Look at First Person Shooter (X-Files)

Post by HighPriest »

clearspira wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:59 pm
stryke wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:10 pm Given this is a forum, not exactly the most youth attracting way of talking online, and even more so given who this forum is all for, and even more specifically what this thread this is covering... well, I'd be flabbergasted if anyone here reading this wasn't alive during the era in question, and is likely also more than old enough to remember what it was like :D

All of those are various levels of bad, but I still think this is significantly worse. Pretty sure it's later than all those too including the Matrix. Yep, on checkin came out in 2000 and still manages to be a worse take than the Game from back in '91.
:shock:

I am genuinely amazed to learn this episode's airdate. In my head this episode was years' before 2000. But in my defence... I mean... look at it. How did this crap come out in the same month as the PlayStation 2?

This is me officially rescinding any compliments or good will I possessed in my previous post.
In all fairness to this episode (which admittedly doesn't deserve any charity), this sort of portrayal of gaming/gamers lingers far beyond 2000. Various Law & Order spin-offs had multiple "gamer" episodes as late as 2010, Criminal Minds had one in 2012, CSI Miami had one in 2004... I wouldn't say that any of them were as bad as this, but they're still pretty rotten. And of course, Big Bang Theory didn't even start until 2007.

I wouldn't be surprised for this sort of garbage to air in an episode of a modern sitcom, crime drama, or other "mainstream" show today. The most offensive part of this example is that the X-Files is an unapologetic sci-fi genre show - you would think the people making it would know better.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: A Look at First Person Shooter (X-Files)

Post by McAvoy »

HighPriest wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:36 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:59 pm
stryke wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:10 pm Given this is a forum, not exactly the most youth attracting way of talking online, and even more so given who this forum is all for, and even more specifically what this thread this is covering... well, I'd be flabbergasted if anyone here reading this wasn't alive during the era in question, and is likely also more than old enough to remember what it was like :D

All of those are various levels of bad, but I still think this is significantly worse. Pretty sure it's later than all those too including the Matrix. Yep, on checkin came out in 2000 and still manages to be a worse take than the Game from back in '91.
:shock:

I am genuinely amazed to learn this episode's airdate. In my head this episode was years' before 2000. But in my defence... I mean... look at it. How did this crap come out in the same month as the PlayStation 2?

This is me officially rescinding any compliments or good will I possessed in my previous post.
In all fairness to this episode (which admittedly doesn't deserve any charity), this sort of portrayal of gaming/gamers lingers far beyond 2000. Various Law & Order spin-offs had multiple "gamer" episodes as late as 2010, Criminal Minds had one in 2012, CSI Miami had one in 2004... I wouldn't say that any of them were as bad as this, but they're still pretty rotten. And of course, Big Bang Theory didn't even start until 2007.

I wouldn't be surprised for this sort of garbage to air in an episode of a modern sitcom, crime drama, or other "mainstream" show today. The most offensive part of this example is that the X-Files is an unapologetic sci-fi genre show - you would think the people making it would know better.
My guess was that the budget just didn't allow for the same graphics that we were seeing at the time. Really doubt anyone was really put of the loop.
I got nothing to say here.